Samsung Galaxy Book discussion thread

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JoeS, Feb 26, 2017.

1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes it would be nice if we got ride of the bezels....

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well.., you're not using the bezel for taping up reference images. But honestly... Try this:

On the right side of your screen, (assuming you're right-handed), use the pen to interact with the up/down slider bar. -I find unless there's about 3/4 of an inch at least of bezel, then it becomes a very awkward maneuver. (You don't need to actually use the slider bar often in your daily practice; that's not my point. I'm just offering a way to demonstrate the feeling of trying to be accurate with a pen at the screen edge which we can all experience).

The principle applies as well to manipulating pallet tools placed along the same edge. -And it makes drawing in that space torturous.

Try putting an inch thick book on a table surface, putting a sheet of paper on that, and then drawing right near the edge. It basically can't be done, not easily or with any degree of comfort, rendering a fifth to a quarter of the screen (for a small TPC) unusable for its design purpose.

I find the 2.5 inches on either side of my 21UX really comfortable, alleviating the need to change muscle focus in my arms to prevent my hands from falling off the edge. I haven't had to cut any plywood to turn it into a useful tool.

I think the desire to see bezels removed is in some cases just a matter of wanting Star Trek esthetics despite that not actually translating into practicality. We're meat creatures with big, goofy mitts. That's reality.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    artistebot likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not so fast pilgrim...no bezels gives a GIANT boost in productivity when in laptop mode (which, for most of us, is greater than 50% of the time) and although it may not be optimum for drawing, it would be a boon for note taking.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, when are the GB10s starting to ship? June? Anybody preorder?

5. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Bezels have their place to hold important components like a front facing camera, so definitely don't do the boneheaded move by Dell to completely get rid of the top bezels and shove the camera at the bottom and then have a giant chin as a result. Microsoft, HP and Lenovo have a better approach in terms of bezel size. I don't find the bezels on the Surface Pro 4 bad at all, or the Pixel C, or the iPads. They are perfect size and don't detract from functionality or aesthetics.

I have a problem with unnecessarily large bezels, because they make the device look archaic and picture frame like, and no one needs that much bezel to hold onto it. If the device requires that large bezels, then I am afraid there is something wrong with the product weight distribution or is too large to be effectively used as a tablet and is just symptomatic of poor design.

If one needs something to hold onto for specialized use cases, perhaps a Nintendo switch like setup would work better where you can tack on extra holding bezels with controls to the side when needed?

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting, I think I understand our difference in perspective. You are thinking primarily in the 2D canvas plane, whereas I am thinking in the 3D space at the edge of a tablet.

Here is a crude drawing of what I'm talking about (excuse the palmistry references...I couldn't find the medical terms :p):

[​IMG]

You rest your hand on the "Mount of Luna" (which I do too on a drafting table).

However, I never encounter the issues you describe on tablets, because I place the lip of the tablet in-between the Mounts of Venus and Luna.

This gives me a very comfortable "Arc of Control" for drawing at the edge of a tablet:

[​IMG]

My palm presses sideways against the tablet for a firm anchor, that I can also slide easily up-and-down to hit any targets along the edge.

It's almost essential for portrait mode use as there is so little screen to begin with! :)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't yet

Samsung says "End of May"
    B&H still says "May 21"
    only Best Buy is currently touting the "June 2nd" date

I'm going to wait till the 21st and see if Best Buy has them by then....just a thought.....since Samsung gave Verizon the exclusive early release of the 12 inch LTE model.....perhaps they are saving the May 21st date release of the 10-incher for someone else? maybe their own exclusive release......or maybe Staples, B&H, or Microsoft store? Although it would be odd not to give Best Buy any exclusive love (Aside from the Black color) given they have dedicated Samsung floor space in every best buy. You'd think they would promote their Best Buy presence more.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow! You've managed to master an adaptation I find extremely awkward. Kudos!

-And that's before even mentioning the hyper-sensitivity of Win10's touch screen interface. I found those fly-out menus accidentally activated far too often. One of the reasons I got rid of my Dell was that Win10 made me feel constantly nervous and on edge about touching the wrong thing. Even after using it for months, I never quite was able to relax. -And that was with a fairly decent bezel.

Part of it is definitely psychological. Especially with a portable, I'd feel when I'm holding a device that I want to be gentle with it. I want to lift it from the bezel and not the screen. Those things bruise! I've broken several screens from rough use, so negative reinforcement has definitely left an impression on me. Maybe phones and smaller tablets are engineered to deal with that, (I guess they must be), but I find a healthy bezel serves to make me feel noticeably less anxious. I look at tablets without bezels and I'm scared to pick them up.

But if you have all of that stuff comfortably solved, and you can make the most of a low profile tablet, then that puts you in a great position to take advantage of a wider range of hardware than me.

Personally, I find myself happily married to sheer drawing surfaces and wide open spaces where I don't have to learn any new tricks. -Especially when there's no critical need for shedding bezels. -At least on screens that aren't designed to be notepad-convenient.

For now, I'm glad Wacom and others design equipment with old dogs like me in mind.

artistebot and Marty like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I hadn't thought about it from a durability perspective...I don't think you've ever used an unibody tablet right?

The VAIO Z Canvas truly feels like a solid tank. There is zero glass flex along the edges and even at the center, there is no LCD rippling like the Surface Pros. It's wonderfully built.

So I feel perfectly fine picking it up by the glass. I guess it's those little details in engineering that you don't really appreciate until a conversation like this comes up! ;)

You know...I think you take the whole "use it till it don't work" philosophy a bit too far. :p I mean you're not that old of a dog. And even our resident old dog @dstrauss, switches tablets and phones left, right and center!

I think once in a while you should just choose a new device, splurge, and work with it, haha.

As I expounded before, you learn to love new tech...I know you've probably sworn off anything N-Trig, AES, Win10, <14" (and whatever else is on your overlong list :D), but as users like @Azzart can attest, sometimes the total experience is greater than the sum of its parts...

After a year with the Z Canvas, to my own surprise I actually prefer drawing on it to my desktop Cintiq setup! Honest! :)

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    thatcomicsguy likes this.