Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

According to Tom's Hardware (those same jerks that leaked the Surface Go) it's "1.9 pounds without keyboard, 2.4 pounds with keyboard". So if true, yes, pretty heavy for an ARM device. C'mon guys, you were supposed to make super extra portable tablets, not "the same tablets, but now they're slower!".

soh5, nnthemperor, Tams and 1 other person like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That ought to last me a couple of weeks at least...:vbbiggrin::vbbiggrin::vbbiggrin:

I think this one may have great potential for this old codger. It's a shame they didn't either go 3:2 x 12" or make the existing screen 3:2, but I've read elsewhere that this may be a requirement of the first gen 1W Intel display technology...

Hmmmm...3.2# for the Folio is not looking so bad after all...

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don’t know gays but I’m having the feeling that Sammy will unveiled version with intel cpu and full windows os.

Sooner or later but eventually they will do 100%

Maybe at CES 19 or later at MWC at Barcelona earlier March.

I doesn’t make sense to me that will drop full windows os device in favor of Qualcomm’s and limited S windows version.

Just Sammy simple add one more device to portfolio to 2 in 1 category.

I’m also sure that current experimental device will not have the success of full Windows OS is selling.

And especially with that price.

Charging a Qualcomm soc device with limited OS as like being Intel and full windows is hilarious.

Out off any kind human sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

nnthemperor and thierryb like this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There must have been a reason for them to go this route --- my suspicions:

- folks complained about battery life
    - folks complained about the heat
    - folks complained about the flat keyboard
    - folks complained about the origami case / asked for a kickstand

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well I think they mostly made the right call, I just hope that next folks will complain about the weight and the price!

bloodycape and batty like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

No offense, @WillAdams but I think you may be trying to fit hypothetical feedback to a new product miss. They could have addressed all of these issues without going to WOA. As you obviously know, the GB12 is a pretty powerful machine. I severely doubt that a large number of consumers communicated to Samsung: "we didn't buy this product expecting it to have any meaningful performance; we bought it to have 20 hrs of battery life - duh! The GB2 may be a device that meets the needs of some group of consumers, but I doubt it is the answer to the demands of 3% of the people who bought the GB12 knowing what kind of machine it was. They could have changed the keyboard and added a kickstand without changing a thing. They could have improved battery life and thermals by going with lower TDP 8th gen Intel cpus - as options. They could have offered the machine with cpus ranging from M3 to 8550, RAM from 4GB to 16GB, storage from 128GB to 1TB, added a TB3 port and LTE (non-Qualcomm). None of this sounds like engineering challenges beyond meeting.

Separately, if they wanted an entry in the WOA class, they could have released the GB2.

Tams, alextrela182, dstrauss and 3 others like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

When they put out a refresh like this, does that mean they stop manufacturing the previous model?

It seems like such a huge divergence that it would support two lines. I mean.., WOA only supports 32 bit software! You'd have to dig out your old programs from last decade to take advantage of the architecture.

For some people, this might actually be a pretty decent machine. It's just too bad they didn't create a separate line to accommodate it. What a strange decision.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  8. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

Didn't the HP Elite X2 first release on ARM and then on intel a few months later? Maybe something similar is going to happen here. Now they obviously want to push the WOA stuff, but it would seem a waste of resources to make a full redesign of the machine and not trying to squeeze at least a core m3 or i5Y into it. You know, WOA being still immature and all...

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

More and more I guess I'll wait for Samsung to update the Notebook 9 pen series.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think this is as much Microsoft's doing as Samsung's and they want Sammy to take the lead on the WOA line, given Sammy's long and deep experience with ARM. I may be crazy, but I don't see an Intel GB2 - as Jeff pointed out, there are VERY FEW shortcomings with the existing GB12 that could have been fixed very easily - and they went out into left field...goo luck with that Sammy...

nnthemperor likes this.