Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I don't think the SD850 is 7nm chip. Only that new Huawei Kirin 980(?) and Apple cpu in the new iPhone are 7n. I think Samsung will also be bringing out a 7nm chip for the S10.

2. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

12 inches! Hot dawg! Just think of all the digital painting I can do in such a cramped ergonomic space! I’ll bet if I scrunch up my fingers just-so and stick my tongue out the side of my mouth I can do a doodle of my anime character! Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s time to take my nightly bath in a teacup.

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do not need snapdragon if it is more expensive than a m3, and even at the same price. Because snapdragon is less capabilities for me than m3 or i5/i7. At half the price for the tablet, why not.

I am ready to pay more, but for what I need.

Perhaps this device is a joke, to makes me paying an 8" 2:3 8/256 m3 emr spen in silo with kickstand and 2usb c more than 1000 euros.

Ok Samsung, do it, and I will pay it at this price, you win, the torture is too big. I am done.

PS : don't spend to much time to improve battery, I have a lot of external ones.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh Samsung, why doing a tesla with a battery of a phone ?

5. Telgar

Telgar Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, I am not enthusiastic about this GB2 announcement (good thing I bought GB1 at his lowest price).
    The GB2 seems inferior in specs with GB1/12" : CPU wise of course but also with the initial specs we have about OS (S version) and weight (did I read wrong or isn't it heavier ?).
    Some things seems identical (screen, pen tech) and a few improvements : magnetic S-Pen with eraser, kickstand (I am mistaken or does the tablet+keyboard seems thinner ?), fingerprint, SD Card reader.
    Will there be other GB2 configurations ? (a 10-incher with this CPU would make more sense to me)
    Personally, I have the feeling that Samsung is taking a new path with the GB line. Going for SD CPU may be a good strategic choice for the future (expecting better performances with more capable HW and better tuned software). Unfortunately, at this turning point, this looks like a step back compared to the GB1.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    nnthemperor, WillAdams and dstrauss like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@dstrauss, I was back in the office yesterday afternoon and the HP guy was in the office talking to our engineers.

He had the new Spectre Folio with him and I had a chance to play with it for a few moments. Other than being a little heavy for my uses now, it was easily the nicest, most premium feeling device I have held in a very long time. The leather especially looked and felt great. I'm starting to figure out a way to justify one.... I think you'll be very pleased.

He didn't have it with him, but he also mentioned that there is a new x2 (or maybe x4?)coming, also with a leather case and keyboard, but the keyboard will be detachable. It will be available in both Intel and QUALCOMM versions No ETA on release though.

I half joked to my boss that we needed to get all these devices (the folio, the GB2, the e-ink Lenovo) in house for a shootout/evaluation. He actually said that was a good idea and was going to see about getting them all brought in.

Tams, Bronsky and WillAdams like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks for the hot take - you may be one of the few "civilians" to have seen one. I'm usually pretty leery of buying sight unseen, but besides the looks, what really struck me is the ability to go quickly from note taking to laptop mode for some typing (like searches) and back to notetaking without unfolding, bending, or reversing the screen.

It's also good to hear the X2 comments - glad they are playing with leather on more than one model.

PS - I like your bosses' style!

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes , the hinge is easily the slickest way to do a convertible yet. The HP rep also claimed that they have tested it in house with "over 50,000 laptop to tablet and back movements"

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think the HP hinge is a really innovative design. Congrats @dstrauss (dale). It looks like a beautiful device.

10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Just why. ****ing why.

Okay, i get a mobile SoC 12 inch device. For that to be the only version is just, uuuurrrrrrggghhh!