Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What a freaking letdown.

Kickstand and S-pen with Eraser (from the looks of it anyway) are really the only pluses

Had they decided to refresh the 10-inch model.....with Snap Dragon/4GB......I would give it consideration......depending how well it runs Clip Studio. Those specs are more acceptable to me in a 10-inch device.

But for the 12-incher....they blew it. I had a feeling they were only going to refresh the 12-incher.....and had they.....with 8th Gen Core i5 and 8-16GB of Ram as an option.....I would most likely sell of my Pro 5 & Surface Go to use towards the 12-inch.

But only 12-inch, and Arm...…..no thank you Samsung, you blew it this time.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Honestly I don't need it to go head to head with the pro. I'd be happy with an affordable lightweight Windows tablet with kickstand, a keyboard, and long battery life even if it's a bit slow. They're very close, for me it's just too big and too pricey.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I knew you were gonna say that!

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

DOA from here to galaxy Andromeda.
    A truly Joke device.
    Really Samsung????????

Qualcomm what ????????

850.:vbeek::vbeek::vbmad:

And S version of Windows.??????
    :eek::mad::(

Not even as a gift would accepted.

Realy tragic movement by Sammy.

No Intel and no full Windows=DOA

WOW Sammy this device must be joke of the decade not any doupt.

Jesus Christ!!!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't think they want to go head to head with Microsoft anymore, and the glacially slow development cycle at MS (where's their WOA device) leads Sammy to believe they have a path forward with less competition and comparison...and fewer buyers. Seriously, with MS doubling down on touch development only for iOS and Android, and the legion of ipad acolytes out there, the GB2 is going to look like weak tea after October 30...

:vbtongue::newpalm::thumbsup::hi:

On a serious note - the value vs feature proposition is just not there for $999. You can get a pre-configured HP Folio 13 for $1499 with a claimed 18 hour battery life, full Windows, Core i5Y, 8gb RAM, 256GB SSD (not NAND flash), 4G LTE, pen and keyboard included as well, AND no headaches/hassles with 64-bit applications or emulation layers - why WOA? Granted no QHD AMOLED, but you do get FHD 1W battery saving display (all you gotta do is give up Wacom EMR for Wacom AES2 :vbfrown:)

nnthemperor and bloodycape like this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

it really isn't...so disappointed in their choice....

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to admit I'm somewhat perplexed but these high price points for Windows on Arm devices.

The 20 hour battery life estimates are only if you keep it in S-mode.....so the second you use the device as a proper windows device, you'll instantly lose the 20 hour benefit.

But the Galaxy Book 10.6......included a keyboard/stand and pen, 4gb Ram, 64GB-128GB Emmc, Core M3 all for $600-ish. True the Book 2 has a bigger screen and an actual SSD.....but there is really no reason they couldn't have priced this thing at $600 or $700.....especially given the low end specs for a late 2018 release.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I was putting together a comparison for the Thinkpad X1 tablet too for my own curiosity. Admittedly, this is with a coupon for the 'Corporate Perks Black Friday Preview', but the Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd gen is lighter (1.69 without keyboard), larger screen, has two Thunderbolt ports, and an LTE version can be had for $993.60 with an i5-8250, 8GB RAM, 3000x2000 screen, etc. Half the battery, but still.

But I still don't want a PC that uses a different pen than my phone, so EMR is necessary for me.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I know my comparison is not fair because the the Folio 13 is substantially larger than the GB2, but this is just not one where you can say the "smallness" warrants a premium.

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nothing to be perplexed about. SD850 is a 5 billion+ tranny SoC. Even at "7nm" it's a big chip. Intel 15W Quad core only clocks in at around 3 billion at most. Even if it suck at running Windoes 32 apps its still a premium chip making the device expensive as well.