Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Only Edge classic and Edge Chromium Dev. Any chance it imports old Edge classic settings? I got back lots of Bookmarks that I had deleted since switching to Edge Chromium, including a folder "Other favorites".

Anyway, it's up and running, and a lot faster than it was, nice.

2. Steven Bickle

Steven Bickle Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just installed Edge Canary but it crashes straight away. I did look in task manager for the short few seconds it was ok and it didn't show that it was running in 32 bit. I have been using the old Edge and it has been quite good for me. Thanks for the heads up though, I've been periodically searching to see if there is an arm64 version of Edge Beta.

3. Steven Bickle

I know you sent this a while ago but I thought I might reply anyway. You need to use the lower of the two ports with the symbol showing a rectangle within a rectangle? That is the only USB-C port that can output display. I have been using a Alogic ULDPLS-SGR USB-C dock and that works to connect to my 4k external monitor. It would be nice if it could drive both my 4k and 1080p screens but it can't. Might be a limitation of the USB-C hub I am using though. I normally charge through the other port though because it doesn't charge properly through the dock.

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

Huh, I wonder what's different. You're also running it on a Book 2? My install is still working fine.

I'm typing this from an Edge Canary tab with eight tabs open, and Edge is using 600MB according to task manager. Still not 100% sure this is running ARM native by the way, but based on the performance it pretty much has to.

5. Steven Bickle

Yeah definitely running on the Galaxy Book2. I might uninstall and reinstall in a weeks time to see if anything gets fixed. I have tried a reboot too.

6. JoeS

OK, finally found proof, Edge Canary runs natively on my Book2. :thumbsup:

To check: in task manager on the "details" tab you can have it show a column "platform", and if it shows 64 bit, you know it can't be running in emulation mode since there's no x64 emulation (yet? :) ). If it shows 32 bit it could still be 32 bit ARM or 32 bit x86 emulation, but if it shows 64 bit it's running native ARM code. And Edge Canary does. Nice.

upload_2019-11-14_8-10-30.png
    ^ Screenshot of the 'details' tab sorted by Platform

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    WillAdams, Marty and desertlap like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Spot on..
    Ridiculous though that you have to go to those lengths to determine it. Apple did it better (and MS could take a cue) with the PowerPC to Intel transition where you could see right in the programs about box if it was native or running with Rosetta

JoeS likes this.
  8. Steven Bickle

In case it's any help to anyone else I found out it was crashing due to a problem with sync. Found the answer and the trick to get to settings within a tiny amount of time here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...tically-Closing-Version-80-0-316-0/m-p/960855

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

Here's an interesting table on the performance of recent ARM devices plus the Surface Go that @Marty posted in the Pro X thread.

Note: Book2 (x86) means "x86 apps running on that ARM Book2".

upload_2019-11-20_12-30-3.png

Comparing only the Pro X and the Book2, it's clear that there's a major performance jump. In fact, it almost exactly matches the price jump! :D

upload_2019-11-20_12-43-18.png

WillAdams likes this.
  10. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

What happened to book 2? Why was it discontinued?