Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Huh, I wonder what's different. You're also running it on a Book 2? My install is still working fine.

I'm typing this from an Edge Canary tab with eight tabs open, and Edge is using 600MB according to task manager. Still not 100% sure this is running ARM native by the way, but based on the performance it pretty much has to.

2. Steven Bickle

Steven Bickle Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah definitely running on the Galaxy Book2. I might uninstall and reinstall in a weeks time to see if anything gets fixed. I have tried a reboot too.

3. JoeS

OK, finally found proof, Edge Canary runs natively on my Book2. :thumbsup:

To check: in task manager on the "details" tab you can have it show a column "platform", and if it shows 64 bit, you know it can't be running in emulation mode since there's no x64 emulation (yet? :) ). If it shows 32 bit it could still be 32 bit ARM or 32 bit x86 emulation, but if it shows 64 bit it's running native ARM code. And Edge Canary does. Nice.

upload_2019-11-14_8-10-30.png
    ^ Screenshot of the 'details' tab sorted by Platform

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    WillAdams, Marty and desertlap like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Spot on..
    Ridiculous though that you have to go to those lengths to determine it. Apple did it better (and MS could take a cue) with the PowerPC to Intel transition where you could see right in the programs about box if it was native or running with Rosetta

JoeS likes this.
  5. Steven Bickle

Steven Bickle Pen Pal - Newbie

In case it's any help to anyone else I found out it was crashing due to a problem with sync. Found the answer and the trick to get to settings within a tiny amount of time here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...tically-Closing-Version-80-0-316-0/m-p/960855

JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

Here's an interesting table on the performance of recent ARM devices plus the Surface Go that @Marty posted in the Pro X thread.

Note: Book2 (x86) means "x86 apps running on that ARM Book2".

upload_2019-11-20_12-30-3.png

Comparing only the Pro X and the Book2, it's clear that there's a major performance jump. In fact, it almost exactly matches the price jump! :D

upload_2019-11-20_12-43-18.png

WillAdams likes this.
  7. moonlight60

moonlight60 Pen Pal - Newbie

What happened to book 2? Why was it discontinued?

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

most likely for the same reason most product lines get discontinued......it probably sold very poorly. For that I’d argue....while the Book 2’s form factor of kickstand and separate keyboard conceptually amended most people’s dislike of the origami cover of the Book 1.....the shifting from Intel to Windows on Arm worked to that reverse.......basically ensuring most fans/users of the Book 1 wouldn’t be able to view the Book 2 as a suitable upgrade.

nnthemperor and WillAdams like this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung told us the line is discontinued and they consider the Book S as the replacement. And yes I realize its a very different form factor:confused:

nnthemperor, JoeS and Marty like this.
  10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

This also has dated hardware with the SD835, while SD865 & 8CX is out now.