Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I haven’t used it enough to notice any performance issues. I’m just glad it’s here!

2. Steven Bickle

Steven Bickle Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi JoeS and everyone. I'm new here but this is the only place I can find on line that is discussing the Galaxy Book2 which I now own. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding but when I fold my keyboard back it switches the keyboard off (as in the mouse and keys do not operate). I have also been hanging out for the 1903 update of Windows. I have tried getting info from Samsung tech support but haven't heard anything back.

Generally I have enjoyed the Galaxy Book2 especially of course for it's battery life. The screen is also excellent in the sun. I have the Surface Pro 2017 with LTE but I was finding that it would struggle through a work day without a charge. The Galaxy Book2 is absolutely fast enough for my usage and I also make use of a lot of apps that are compiled for ARM such as Drawboard and Xodo for PDF, Microsoft OneNote, To Do, Mail, Calendar. I also have installed the Beta version of Firefox which according to the Basemark Web 3.0 browser benchmark is significantly faster than Edge. I do use Edge mainly though. Also I use Office 365 (Excel in particular) and this is fast enough for me and feels equally as good as my old Surface Pro.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's great, I wonder if you have different firmware or hardware. Fingers crossed that a firmware update fixes this for my model as well.

4. Steven Bickle

My model number is SM-W737YZSBXSA but they all seem pretty similar with the Snapdragon 850 chip, 128GB storage and 4GB of RAM. I managed to find a case on Alibaba Express but when I put that on and fold the keyboard back the it doesn't switch off. You wouldn't be using a case by any chance? It is possible that the firmware is different because the manufacturing date is Feb 19 but you think they would push the firmware updates through windows update. I would take it up with Samsung and see what they can do for you.

JoeS likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just checked our lab unit and still no 1903 up date showing. I also confirmed that the keyboard stays active on this unit when folded back.

I have an email in to Samsung about 1903 and added the keyboard issue as well. I know at least one other person reported that they got an update that makes the keyboard lock when flipped back.

I'm sure it had to be a firmware fix but I cant find anything in our support about it. I wonder if it was released as pert of one of the cumulative patch Tuesday releases and then got pulled for some reason?

OTOH It 's also possible that they updated the physical keyboard at some point. I can't speak to @JoeS machine, but our lab machine was one of the very first units Samsung shipped. to the US. We were told at the time that it wasn't possible because of the lack of a signaling magnet and @Steven Bickle , the fact that it doesn't work in a case indicates to me that Samsung may have made a hardware change.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  6. desertlap

Ok , partial update. The issue with the 1903 is still with Qualcomm, Samsung thinks mid August, but that's not guaranteed. As to the keyboard locking when flipped behind, she got contradicting answers. Stay tuned....

JoeS and Steven Bickle like this.
  7. Steven Bickle

Thanks for the update!

8. desertlap

@Steven Bickle , I'm somewhat mystified by the keyboard situation . Neither of the two units we have access to disable the keyboard when flipped back, but apparently yours does and at least one other person reported theirs did too.

The fact that it works when not in the case but doesn't in a case deepens the mystery.

If you wouldn't mind, if you could look more closely at the keyboard itself and see if there is something like a revision number printed on it? In ours it's really tiny, but its near the connector and in both of our samples it says Rev. A0

9. Steven Bickle

I have taken a couple of photos of the details on the keyboard and the keyboard itself in case anything looks different.
    Keyboard details (2).jpg Top of keyboard (2).jpg

JoeS likes this.
  10. desertlap

Thanks, that was really quick!
    Quick look at our lab sample shows an EJ-CW720 which is different. I don't want to jump to conclusions because Samsung sometimes has variations like that when they multiple source components and the only reason for the difference is because of that.

I'll take this info and see what I can find out.

Thanks!