Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, I forgot it's Android. Me too, I'd prefer a windows version, no doubt.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@mgerbasio, Are you in the US? Reason I is ask I wouldn't assume you are covered. I know that there were some GB2s being sold on EBAY that were actually Canadian market devices. One of our customers bought two and one was DOA. Samsung USA wouldn't honor the warranty. Fortunately the EBAY seller took it back, but still.

I'd suggest an email to support@samsungusa.com explaining your issue

3. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I'm in the USA and purchased directly from a MS store, the flagship store in NYC. I wonder if that's why I can't register the PC or get it unlocked.

4. desertlap

Actually that should be a good thing. I'd go back to the store if you can or actually any MS store and explain the issue.

What I think may have happened, and I'm basing this on what we have to do when we resell a Samsung device is that MS somehow neglected to notify Samsung it had been sold to an end user. Their POS should have done it automatically but....

They do this for ant-theft purposes so it's not really an evil thing, just potentially an annoying one.

5. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I work in the city but I'm not in that area lately so I contacted Samsung and told them I couldn't register my device. They had me send them some information and told me to try again after five days. So, I'll see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping this allows me to unlock my device.

6. desertlap

Good luck. The point of sale failure likely explains the inability to unlock it as well. Until delivery to the end user devices with LTE don't show up in the carriers database of "clean devices"

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Does our favorite Book2 expert (@desertlap) have any intel on the availability of the Win10 update 1903 for arm64 systems? So far no evidence of this update on my Book2, even though it does exist on the Windows Update Catalog. I'm not touching any of those installers though, too afraid of getting stuck with a bricked Book2.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hey @JoeS - how about your updated thoughts on the GB2?

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Still loving the battery life, that's really the main selling point of this device. I like the fingerprint reader (works well) and the screen (great contrast obv), as well as the always instant-on behavior. I do still hate that the keyboard doesn't deactivate when folded under the tablet. If I can't comfortably rotate the keyboard out of the way, I might as well get a full laptop! Edge is still occasionally slow as molasses, so there I'm looking forward to Edge on Chrome to become available.

As it turns out though, I recently bought a gently used iPad Pro 10.5 with Smart Keyboard. I can actually do a lot of my email / MS Office work on that machine quite comfortably with equally long battery life, so honestly I don't have as much of a need for the book2. The smart keyboard even allows me to Alt-tab to switch apps, cmd-T to open a new tab, cmd-W to close a tab, even cmd-space to search “the start menu”, it really feels pretty windowsy with the keyboard attached. And in daily use the iPad feels so much more portable and zippy than the Book2.

Long story short, the iPad 10.5 is my preferred grab&go device, but I’m keeping the Book2 because the screen is awesome, and I mean, can you really ever have too many devices lying around the house? I think not!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  10. desertlap

No official word, but I suspect it will be available when MS releases the update for all through the check for updates function. I'm supposed to talk to Samsung Friday and I will post back here if they tell me anything.

PS: I was told to expect significant speed improvements with the May update on ARM so I'm hoping that's true.

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.