Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, definitely underwhelming, but I'm buoyed by the fact that Samsung is still continuing this line as I think my GB12 is definitely the best device I've ever owned.

I'm not entirely sure what would prompt me to upgrade, as the 2018 model doesn't interest me.

But a kickstand would be cool.
    Stylus silo, or even just fitting a Note s-pen as a backup pen
    They should redesign the tab pen holder.
    I think anything that would make it lighter would be good.
    16 GB of ram? How about faster SSD?
    or how about squeezing in a GPU?

For now, I would just settle for having a keyboard that doesn't have the lighted keys-wake up issue...

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I mean, 10S is a free unlock to full Windows, so don't let that stop you. The question is more whether it'll be Home or Pro in S-mode.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There was a business model that came with Pro, but almost all their stuff is Windows Home - so unless you've got an old pro key lying around (Ed Bott at ZDNet walks you through it) it's another $99 to play Pro...

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Snapdragon 850 devices are rumored to be announced at IFA next week. Wonder if a GB 10.6" is on that list. Long battery life (one of the GB's weaknesses) and built-in LTE could be killer if the performance is as ARM is suggesting in its latest reveal. https://fudzilla.com/news/mobile/47023-lenovo-snapdragon-850-pc-shaping-up Turbo clocks approaching 3ghz.:vbeek: Single core Geekbench scores look to be a bit higher than the Pentium Gold and multicore scores are almost 50% faster than the Intel chip in the Go.

Lenovo has already announced an android tablet with the 850. https://liliputing.com/2018/08/lenovo-unveils-a-new-line-of-android-tablets-prices-start-at-70.html

Now, if they can just get rational about the price of ARM on W10.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. fuglee

fuglee Pen Pal - Newbie

Me too. Are there any low profile third party kickstand attachments that imitates the Surface or U bar design in the Acer Switch/HP Spectre X2? Seems most are bulky attachment on the back.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not that we have any actual information on the 10" successor yet (and I suspect it'd probably be ARM anyway unfortunately), but I wouldn't mind seeing this new i5-8200Y in a new 10" device... 1.3GHz base, 3.9GHz turbo at 5W TDP (compared to 1.0GHz, 2.6GHz turbo in the m3-7Y30 at 4.5W).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13275/intel-launches-whiskey-lake-amber-lake

The other chips are pretty meh compared to existing ones, but the Y series was overdue for an upgrade.

7. Bronsky

The Amber Lake I5Y would have been awesome in the Go.

8. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

So no announcement by Samsung during their press conference at IFA this morning...

dstrauss likes this.
  9. Bronsky

I guess an 88" 8K TV is more important to Samsung than an improved W10/ARM 10" GB tablet.[​IMG]

dstrauss likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah.

I guess more people are willing to spend $$ to hang giant moving pictures on their walls than they are to spend less carrying around postcard versions.

I see thousands of people with phones. Pretty much every living room I've seen has a giant friggin' TV screen in it. And everybody has a computer with a keyboard somewhere. But tablets? -Especially smaller ones..? I don't see too many of those around.

I think after their fashion value wore off, the fact that tablets are awkward to carry around and use with one hand began exerting itself. There's still a market, but it's a specialty market for sure.