Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Amazingly, you can't! It seems like the keyboard magnets on the left and right have opposite polarity, so when reversed the keyboard repels the tablet. d'Oh!

Bronsky likes this.
  2. JoeS

@johnnobts TBH I prefer not to install anything I won't be using, mostly because uninstalling often leaves traces of the software, and partly because there may be unintended consequences. Most likely everything would go just fine, but I'd rather not take the risk. Maybe another member can help? Alternatively, maybe just ask shadow.tech support whether ARM is supported.

Bronsky, WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. Mytabletacct

Mytabletacct Pen Pal - Newbie

Samsung bezel-less tablet video accidentally leaked and removed by Samsung. See picture and link

[​IMG]

WillAdams likes this.
  4. JoeS

One nice touch I discovered the other day: the Book2 kickstand has the subtlest possible rubber strips along the bottom edge. This means when you set it down on a granite counter top, it doesn't actually slide around. Subtle, but useful.

WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  5. JoeS

"It is done". I got rid of my Surface Go and I'm keeping the Book2. Sold it for the same price that I paid for the Book2. Fair trade. :thumbsup:

The Go is adorable, but the less than stellar screen quality and the anemic battery life were too much of a drawback for me in the end.

djas and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Leaked? That commercial (a shorter cut) has been airing on US TVs for at least over a week now. However.....while the Galaxy Fold in the commercial ended up being quite real.....some of the tech in that video seems more concept then actual products. That Penabled Tablet looks awesome....but Samsung just unveiled a new tablet....their thinnest yet ....with bezels and no spen support. If that tablet in the video indeed exists, I would be quite happy.....but I’m not holding hope.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. JoeS

So um.. does anyone know how we get firmware updates on this device? The Samsung Update app in the store doesn't support ARM. I don't see any Samsung related update tools preinstalled on the device either. And I can't even find a dedicated "downloads and drivers" page on Samsung.com. Will firmware updates just come in via Windows update?

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes. via windows update since the update is part of core code. Right now the only ARM devices chipsets out there are functionally identical. The only variation to date is RAM which is outboard of the chipset.
    Of course that does apply generationally. I.E 850 chipsets or 835 etc.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

I wish I'd known that, I just had a chat window open with Samsung for 45 minutes. It's OK though, I was watching tennis in the meantime. :) Unsurprisingly they had no clue. It sure would have been helpful if the Samsung site would have had some info on how to update the Book2.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. JoeS

BTW for people interested in this system, these still end up regularly on eBay and the typical going price for a like-new system is around $650+/-$100, which includes pen and keyboard. Might be worth a bid if you see a low-priced offer. It's still unknown enough that some of these auctions fly under the radar, meaning you could get lucky.

Downside: looks like Samsung warranty requires the original bill of sale. Does anyone have experience with this? Some people online say "yes, Samsung requires the receipt", others say "No, they just use the serial number".

No problems with my device so far, but I'm still interested whether warranty would be honored for a resold tablet from eBay.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019