Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok so that's one question I can already answer. You definitely want the version of office from the store which to my knowledge is the only way to get the WOS native version. If you go to the office 365.com site and download/install form there you will get the x86 version which runs but is a dog performance wise because it uses emulation.

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Liked for the information, not for the painful reality check :D

Just to clarify (and this will give away how woefully out of the loop I am on this..), do you mean the UWP limited version ("Word Mobile", no macros etc), or can you also download full office, compiled to run natively on ARM?

On that note, is there a page that explains what to look for? How do I know if a specific installer was compiled for ARM? Are there installers that contain both x86 and ARM code? Looking at the Word store page, there's no mention of ARM or x86.

upload_2018-12-20_12-40-37.png

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  3. desertlap

Yeah confusing isn't it?
    The simplest way to get the WOS optimized version is to just activate the installed version that came on the Galaxy Book. After you do that it will update and show up as purchased items through the App Store.

And sadly there is no obvious way to tell if an App or it's installer is WOS native or X86 at the moment until after installed . At that point there are certain WOS specific executables etc. that will be present.

Honestly , and this is the worst type of anecdotal , but with native, the installer launches and does something immediately where as with X86 there is this odd "ok I double clicked, did it actually launch " type pause. :confused:

JoeS likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Everything I've read says the full desktop Office (whether preinstalled or through the Windows Store using Cenennial) is x86 compiled to ensure full compatibility with user macros/VBA/etc... and neither one should require switching out of S mode for.

The Word Mobile (etc.) versions are the only ones native ARM compiled. But I'm imagine that Office is one of those applications that Microsoft is able to highly optimize for x86 emulation.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for chiming in. So is your thinking that the latest installers for Office 2016 would already install a better WOS optimized version than old installers? Or are you saying that office 2019 (?) may be better optimized? Man, turns out I'm totally ignorant about the device I just bought! :)

6. jhoff80

Office is kind of confusing, because they've got so many different types of installers and versions for it. There's the original MSI method they had, then they had a Click2Run installer, and then they brought it to the Store using the desktop apps bridge. (Additionally, there's Office Mobile which is native UWP).

In theory, you should get the same thing installed no matter what (there's some slight differences in whether you get the non-subscription Office 2016, the non-subscription Office 2019, or the subscription Office 365, but they're all basically the same). I personally find that the Store version is the most seamless at updating (and I suspect the preinstalled version is from the Store), but it shouldn't really matter. But the Store version would be the only one that you can install without disabling S mode. I also personally like the Store version because I can choose to uninstall Access and Publisher, which I have no use for.

I don't think any of those three installer types is going to be more optimized to run on ARM, because again, they should in theory all be the same. What I was trying to say is that Microsoft knows the importance of Office on their devices, and they own both the OS / emulation engine and the software they're trying to run. Because of that, I would bet that the emulation engine has been tuned to be excellent when running Office... that you'd get far better performance for running x86 Office than you do for running x86 Chrome (as just one example).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Marty and JoeS like this.
  7. desertlap

Ok just one specific point, the Office 2016 installer is most definitely not optimized in any way for ARM. Installing with it on either of the two WOS laptops we had was death by a hundred beach balls.
    The O365 installer was leagues better.

That being said I agree with @jhoff80 about the importance to Microsoft of office and wanting make it as smooth as possible for all users. What I don't know, but suspect is the case is that even if you did install 2016, afterwards if you enable autoupdates you will start to get the native WOS code as they make it available.

With one caveat, the most current patches/code/updates are coming through the 0365 channel as MS would really like everyone on a subscription if they can.

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

not sure it's been mentioned previously but was on Samsung's site (looking to purchase the book2's s-pen) and noticed that there are now models for Verizon & Sprint.

wandrinsheep likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I saw the Verizon model when I was there last week. At first mistook it for a non Samsung device, but then saw the screen and was like this is a very good display for no-name. Then saw the logo and went ah. Something about its looks didn't feel premium to me, which is probably why I didn't think it was a Samsung device at first.

10. jhoff80