Samsung Galaxy Book 2 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Totally off topic, but I just had the funny picture of you asking, "oh what phone do you use?"

...then watching him sweat buckets as he tries to hide his iPhone. :D

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

lol :D

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ahh the variability of the retail experience.
    I have two MS stores about equidistant from me. In one the staff, is all in on the smaller lighter bandwagon and go right to either the surface or the GB2 especially if you talk about battery life.

In the other store, same story and they take you to the Surface laptop or the Lenovo Carbon.

I'm still baffled how the same basic requirements can produce such different responses

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Ever since this post I've been checking on eBay. Two brand new ones were sold for $800, and two lightly used ones for ~$600. A like-new model without box hasn't sold for a few days at a $590 buy-it-now price. Lord knows I don't need another tablet, but if they start dropping under $500, I might get one, if only for the battery life. I enjoy my Surface Go, but the truth is that it's really a Surface Go But Don't Forget Your Charger.

Tams likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

addict!!! lol:D

JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm trying to follow in the footsteps of my hero, dstrauss..

dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Correction: antihero

JoeS likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just got back from the Mall….and I can confirm the Microsoft Store at the Bridgewater Mall in NJ…does indeed have the Galaxy Book 2 on the store floor. The Snapdragon chipset/super long battery life doesn’t really factor into a 10-min hands on store experience (especially with no art software beyond Sketchable to test)

How do I put this……with the Surface Pro-ing of the Galaxy Book Concept……the biggest difference between the Surface Pro 6…..and the Samsung Galaxy Book 2……Isn’t the Snapdragon……not the EMR or Ntrig Pen……not the Battery Life…….but the biggest difference……the Surface Pro 6…..has Magnets…….and the Galaxy Book 2…..has Significantly Stronger Magnets. And that creates a whole slew of Problems. EMR Pen tech and Magnets generally do not mix……and the mixing of them in this case did create a few issues I was expecting…..but also a few that also completely blindsided me.

First the most glaring oversight……despite most of my grievances being about the magnets…..there is one thing oddly enough they didn’t magnetize and that creates a very glaring advertisement lie Samsung is pushing around…..in almost all the promotional and advertising photos of the Book 2….the Now larger and Backend Eraser enabled S-pen seemingly magnetically attaches to the left side of the Book 2 in a manner very similar to the Surface Pens and Apple Pencil. Despite EMR Pens being Plastic Based….the Fact Apple was able to do so with their plastic Pencil means it could still be done with a Plastic Pen…..but the Book 2’s s-spen……is not…..the Pen does not attach to the side of the Book 2 in any remote way…….unless they have some invisible clip or loop that is literally invisible in all their promotional pics…..it’s pretty blunt false advertising.

My next Grievance…….the spinning corner cursor is back with a vengeance. For those us who were more used to the 2010-era style of Convertible Tablet PCs….the use of EMR depending on the manufacturer could leave a lot to be desired…it was always kind of hit or miss. Corners of the device could be near unusable with the pen and usually the bottom ledge (and top sometimes) would experience cursor drift in varying stages of annoyance. These little nitpicks of EMR were somewhat common place back in the day…..but the recent uses of EMR…..as done by the 1st Gen Galaxy Books and HP Zookx2…..reduced this problem significantly. Well with the Book 2....lets just say it takes you on a time traveling trip down memory lane. I suspect this is in part due to the…..really really strong magnets built into the bezel to attach the keyboard cover….but the whole bottom taskbar……the pen is a disaster on with pretty bad cursor drift and the bottom two corners…..your cursors literally starts to spin. The middle of the screen is fine……..but yeah…..those bottom magnets totally mess it up. I was somewhat expecting this problem….but I’ve used the Zbook x2 at B&H…..and despite also having a magnetic keyboard cover…..it does not have this same problem, despite mixing Magents and EMR….its as fine tuned as the Generation 1 Galaxy Books. Clearly HP engineered it carefully to avoid that issue……Samsung its seems took no remote consideration of it.

And you would think this would be the extent of the Magnetic Problems…….but no. One thing I like to do with my Surface Pro 5 and Go……….when I’m using the device in tablet mode for drawing or watching Netflix…..I like to attach the keyboard cover on backwards. Aside from being a convenient place to stow the keyboard when you’re not using it…..it helps a bit at reinforcing the kickstand’s angle since the bottom of the kickstand can be rested against the keyboards key….sort of very lightly locking it in a tiny bit. But also it helps keep the Surface Pro from moving around. One a glass table for instance….the Surface Pro and Kickstand can slide around with ease…..attaching the keyboard on backwards helps prevent that and keep it where you want it.

So naturally….I tried attaching the Galaxy Books Keyboard Cover on reverse as well….and….I couldn’t…..because of the super strong magnets. When put on reverse……the magnets seem to really want to position the keyboard almost completely half off the Book2. In a weird way it felt almost like a reverse magnetic pull…like when you flip on magnet around and they detract from each other…..very much that feeling here…..which is odd because the Surface Pro and Zbook do not have this issue.

So I tried physically forcing the Keyboard Cover into the groove on Book 2 figuring I could overpower the magnetic pull……but I couldn’t…..every time I got it so close to fitting in the groove…..the Magnets would snap the whole cover down. And I’m a strong guy too…..like I was putting enough force……..but they put some super strong magnets in this thing. So to put it simply…..the Galaxy Book 2’s keyboard cover can not be put on in reverse.

Now I’m not a electromagnetic engineer or anything…..but to have such strong magnets….I’d image would mean they had to use Larger/thicker/Heavier Magnets. This now create a weight problem. The Keyboard cover….honestly feels almost as heavy as the tablet itself….and it has this thickness to it….like if your used to the Surface Pro Type Cover…..the weight/thickness of the Samsung keyboard cover is quite glaring. If I had to guess…..its probably due to the stronger/thicker magnets in the cover itself. With the Surface Pro….if you have the cover closed….but hold it upside down by the kickstand….the Surface cover would fall off the screen…..the Galaxy Book 2…..that cover definitely stays on the screen…even shaking it held upside down by the kickstand…..that keyboard cover won’t budge.

And this also creates a minor typing issue. Where as the Surface Type cover is very evenly designed and weighted through the whole keyboard…..I’m guessing in part due to the stronger and heavier magnets in the bottom and top of the Samsung keyboard cover…..when you’re typing…..the middle of the keyboard has this weird flex to it…..like the bottom and top of the keyboard seem sturdy….but when typing on the keys in the middle….it kind of subtly bends inward as you type. You could probably get used to that over time…..but it was kind of off-putting.

So…….on the positive side….the devices overall form is pretty good…..despite them making the corners more squared….its still very round….and the tablet itself feel very solid and well made. The Kickstand also seem very reliable and easily able to hold an angle when drawing on it. The keyboard keys on their own are quite comfy…..but the trackpad is noticeably worse than the Surface trackpads or even the 1st gen Galaxy Book trackpads.

If Samsung does end up released a Galaxy Book Pro with Proper Intel chips……I would say after my 10 minutes with the Book 2…. I would definitely be more hesitant towards making this a purchase.

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I appreciate that you put some paragraphs in, but was still like a wall of text. I couldn't get through it. Perhaps try being more concise?

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because of Super Strong, thicker, and Heavier Magnets incorporated both into keyboard cover and the Bezel.....the EMR Pen accuracy goes out the window at the edges & corners. Because of the same Magnets the keyboard cover can not be put on in reverse, and the keyboard cover's weight and overall feeling when typing feel off. And the S-pen that was clearly advertised as attaching to the left side of the tablet doesn't actually attach at all.

JoeS likes this.