Samsung Galaxy Book 12 Screen Flashing/Strobing

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Wheal Kernow, Sep 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wheal Kernow

Wheal Kernow Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi I have been searching for months to try to get some help with this.

My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Book 12 Screen flashes like a strobe light. It happens after about 5 minutes of no activity.

I had a samsung galaxy Tab 2 that did the same thing and I was able to get it to stop by installing an app that kept the screen from automatically dimming after 5 minutes.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Thank you so much!!!

Wheal

2. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

The GB 12 uses PWM for reducing brightness, which indeed causes that stroboscopic effect. I don't think there is a solution for that when the screen is dimming automatically, nor when it is dimmed as a result of battery saving being turned on.

What you can do is set the auto screen dimming at 10minutes or more (Control Panel->Battery Saving), disable "dim the screen on battery saver" in the Settings app, and use F.lux to reduce the brightness. The latter works like this: you keep the screen brightness always above 80%, where it should not flicker/ flicker only very mildly. If you want to reduce the brightness, you use Alt+PgDown. This is a function of F.lux that reduces the brightness by changing the white point of the screen, and does not trigger PWM. It works pretty well.

3. Wheal Kernow

Wheal Kernow Pen Pal - Newbie

LeoZappa!

Thank you so much. I knew that there had to be some way around it, I just couldn't find any Windows apps that worked the way that Android app had.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough and helpful answer - my Galaxy Tab is usable and no longer makes me want to throw it across the room!

Wheal

4. Jgm16509

Jgm16509 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I want to be as brief as possible as I too began to notice this intermittent issue on my Samsung Galaxy Book2, SMW737P. I searched hi and low but other screen issues seemed to be different or involved damaged.

This only happens when screen is in a power transition from off to on or wake or between bios and then at GUI. Seems to happen more when using battery and at first it seemed that by keeping it dim, it had a better recovery but then it started to become far too frequent for comfort.

Oddly when it does come on, the image is stable and vivid as if no issues but at times when the miff happens it can be a quick streak, bright flicker or a faint painful flicker. Usually goes right out and will stay out until another cycle (sleep,wake, force power...)

Sent to Samsung with fast turnaround and was listed as problem: software and faulty pca. When it came back though, it wasn’t more than a few cycles and it was back. Very disturbing and frustrating. Thinking I can’t be the only person with this issue.

I attached a quick compilation of the screen , how it varies and then (eventually) is back up. I left out the images where it goes blank again before any success.. but hoping it helps, If not for informative purposes any new insight or advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks immensely.

Jason
    71EEF5FC-BD67-4FC1-A832-2AE401627FCB.jpeg
    Img

Attached Files:

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know how responsive Samsung are in these issues, but when people go through the official repair process like polite citizens, and they get it back still broken, isn't it appropriate to demand (without shouting, but still, to demand), a new unit?

Something along the lines of...

"Your repair department agrees that there was a flaw in the system, did some fiddling which didn't work, and sent me back a still-broken unit. I'm sure you can see why that is not acceptable. Here's what I need from you:

Ship me a working replacement unit or a loaner until you get this one properly fixed.

Thank you."

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Jgm16509

Jgm16509 Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m there but just out of forum respect and being new... I do have my YouTube video almost live and it will kinda do what had to happen to Apple, but I guess we hope for the best and bang our heads in the process. The waste of time is the worst. Then it came back with Home S-mode but was on Pro when originally was an option. With new board, it was pay for the upgrade. And still be broke.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

SAMSUNG - GIVE US AN INTEL i5 GB2 WITH 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AND UNLOCKED LTE!
    It is rumored Samsung monitors these threads so I am spreading this everywhere.

thatcomicsguy likes this.