Samsung Galaxy Book 12" - Is RAM upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by edlu, Apr 20, 2019.

1. edlu

edlu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,
    At ifixit someone opened this device and upgraded SSD.
    Has anyone tried to upgrade RAM? Is it possible? or it is soldered?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. edlu

edlu Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, this question has received 161 views, with no answer yet.
    - It seems lots of people are interested into this question.
    Since there is no reply yet, either it is not possible, or no one has done it.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree; 161 views is too many before a response, especially since we know the answer!

To be fair; it has been covered elsewhere on the forum. Specifically on the Galaxy Book thread.

Also to be fair... I don't own one of these, so it didn't come across my radar until just now.

So...

First off, (as you will have sussed out already), opening the GB 12 involves a heat gun. So it's not easy access, or meant to be opened.

If you do manage to open it up, this is what you will be presented with...

[​IMG]

(Taken from iFixit)

But beside that, the answer to your question is "No". Ram is soldered. (As it is in the Notebook 9 Pro, which can be opened easily by unscrewing the back panel). So you definitely need to buy the size you'll want for the life of your tablet.

However, curiously enough, it IS possible for the user to upgrade the internal SSD, which may be a means of saving some bux in the long run. Personally, while I am a tinkerer at heart, I've broken too many LCD screens in my time to trust a $1000 tablet on my middling dexterity!

I do own the N9P, and did indeed open it up to upgrade the SSD. It was an easy operation. But there was the RAM, all neatly soldered to the board. The GB12 is the same.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

JoeS likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You got me curious.

I snapped a couple of stills from a video teardown of the GB12.

This is the mother board front and back:

GB12-mobo1.jpg
    GB12-mobo2.jpg

The .M2 is right there and can be pulled. But the entire chipset and memory is covered over with a metal cover/heat sink.

I think the problem with these tablets is that to make removable memory would require parallel parking, so to speak, (like the SSD socket), and thus too many square inches. -While double-decking memory plug in sockets was probably thought to create too much thickness. That'd be my guess anyway.

5. edlu

edlu Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks thatcomicsguy,
    I was aware that someone upgraded the SSD, which as you mentioned it can save some $$$.
    Opening a Galaxy Book 12" is challenging - I agree.
    Too bad that I can't upgrade the RAM.
    Thanks a lot

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't think anyone has successfully updated the SSD either - as I recall one broke the screen cable and the other broke the OLED itself. VERY fragile in there. Evening owning two (the 4gb and 8gb models) which would provide a source of possible spaer parts, I don't think I'd have the nerve to tear it down for an SSD swap.

SAMSUNG - GIVE US AN INTEL i5 GB2 WITH 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AND UNLOCKED LTE!
    It is rumored Samsung monitors these threads so I am spreading this everywhere.