Samsung Galaxy book 12 inch or Ipad 12 inch Pro

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by JasonThePhotographer, Feb 20, 2018.

1. JasonThePhotographer

JasonThePhotographer Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    N/A they are about the same

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Rather buy new

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Ipad 12inch pro with pen or Samsung Galaxy Book with Pen (included)

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • They are both 12 inch
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intend to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Australia, both available on Vodafone with will sync with my data on current phone

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I do like PC based stuff over apple, however I do have a Mac and Ipad that I do use.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Both provide good battery life which is fine

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    I can see more advantages of PC based tablet that Ipad style

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I've used both windows and mac software, the current Ipad I use is limited use as I generally prefer PC based stuff

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop and pen related is what see the most use for this device. However the Samsung Book I feel would have a lot more uses than the Ipad

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Nope

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    I guess that would be cool, but not essential

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    I believe both have really good screen resolution and displays

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above-linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above-linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, this is essential with pressure sensitivity.
    I was researching the Ipad Pro 12 inch with pressure sensitivity pen to basically use as a Wacom tablet where I can see my photo on a tablet but be hosted on PC using photoshop. The research I've done the Ipad does this with a couple of different apps, one being for PC and the other for Mac computer. Hence being a displayed Wacom table (but a lot cheaper than the really expensive dedication Wacom drawing tables with the display. I was all set to buy this. Then noticed that they offered the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 comes with pen and keyboard. The pen is (from the research I've done is EMR by Wacom and is pressure sensitive). However, what I can't find if I can use this as a tablet to my main desktop on my app of photoshop.
    yes, I know I could run photoshop on tablet and work fine (which I would probably do also). However with the few screen on my desktop. I do like to have multiple windows open, ie: one showing the full display of image, one with the detail on where I am working (which is one thing I would like to display on the tablet book so I don't have to reference from screen to the current drawing tablet I have)

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    The more the better, external hard drives should be fine. Samsung is expendable, Ipad pro 12 can order a larger one and connect wireless hard drive if need be

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

What they both have is fine

Misc
    1. Other non-specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Connect to these Tables for pressure drawing to PC applications.
    What I've researched is Ipad is definitely achievable with apps
    I haven't been able to find anything for Samsung Galaxy Book which is what I really want to know
    Can it connect to both PC (windows 10) and mac computer?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I was all set to buy the Ipad Pr0 12 as it had primary what I wanted in the way of a touch sensitive and can be used as a table connect with apps to photoshop on my PC. I'm not really sure what else I would benefit from the tablet, but sure I could use for other things as well.

When I saw that Samsung Galaxy Book 12 has Wacom compatibility and running windows 10 I can see much more uses for me than the Ipad. Clearly, I could take onto location and still use all the software that I do at home (yes I would need to update with microSD card to another 256gb card, but would be worth it) Plus it syncs or links up to Samsung phone.
    However, the primary goal is to use as a tablet for programs such as photoshop (even zbrush) as a drawing tablet onto other windows 10 computer and mac if possible

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If actual Photoshop is what you are after iPad is out of the picture. There is no actual Photoshop available on iOS. Just a crappy app with Photoshop name.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If you want to use it as a cintiq than the answer is... neither.
    The galaxy book can't really do such a thing and the iPad works only decently with Astropad Studio, but it will be limited as a clone window of your desktop.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've used my Ipad Pro with Duet Display....which is the Windows option for those wanting to see how it operates as a makeshift cintiq. It didn't impress me at all. And even Clip Studio Paint on the ipad....the lack of a hovering cursor does regularly become problematic since its very easy to accidentally screw up your set interface.

Get the Galaxy Book. Way more powerful, way more capable, and transferring files is way way way simpler then all the cloud saving ****. And if you're a layer hog like I am....Windows is way more your friend the iOS.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. JasonThePhotographer

No not running photoshop on the Ipad. Using the Ipad or GB as a drawing tablet for software already on the PC or Mac computer.

Yeah I can't find anything to use the galaxy book touch screen display like a wacom with another computer, which is what I'm looking for. There are other software that uses the benefits of the Ipad. Such as Duet Pro which claims to use all the features and sensitivity of the Ipad pro on applications such as photoshop. People I've spoken with says it does great just like a wacom drawing tablet.
    However, I was hoping to find something similar for the galaxy book using it built in wacom features. (as if this is the case I would be able to use the benefits a lot more than the Ipad Pro.

I guess running photoshop on the galaxy book would be an option with additional screens plugged in. I was hoping that I could use a wacom tablet for my PC though. Have you heard of this being done, seeing both machines are running windows 10?
    I'll ask him, thank you for the link.

What is the problem with Duet Pro? not allowing you to have pressure sensitivity?
    Are you aware of any way to share the galaxy book as a wacom tablet accessing the software on the pc or mac?

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Until Apple adds Thunderbolt or another higher bandwidth support for the lightening port, Astropad is a subpar solution to turn iPad into a Cintiq as you describe. You don't get native resolution throughput, smooth 60Hz refresh of your canvas, and generally is a poor substitute for Cintiq or Surface Pro PS scenarios.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sadly, out of the hundreds of tablets released over the years, the only ones which can double as Cintiqs are from Wacom's own tablet line. I suspect this feature is jealously withheld exactly because Wacom recognizes its value.

You might instead do as I have done; Get an actual Cintiq plus a portable.

You can get up and running on a used 21UX model from eBay for around $4-500. (You generally have to buy a pen separately). There are also plenty of Cintiq alternatives out there which are reportedly pretty good.

I strongly recommend this approach, actually; having a big, desk-mounted drawing surface offers a lot of value. -Being able to do layouts at full size at a dedicated drafting board is really important. (Though, my current 15" portable is passable in this respect, 12" is simply too small for the full power of human cognition to kick in. I know this from experience, having put hundreds of drawing hours into several different models.)

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh It had pressure......the whole set up just didn't feel right. Part of my issue with it was the same issue I have with using CSP on the Ipad Pro....the Desktop Apps CSP and Photoshop are designed to be really easy to modify the interface to your liking.....and its not an issue with a proper hovering cursor....but since the ipad doesn't have any hovering cursor.....its just a really clumsy experience. Especially when you try and directly convert the desktop app onto a 9.7 inch ipad screen.. the whole experience just doesn't transfer over well...Its certainly usable...especially in its more recent builds....but its just not nearly as intuitive and responsive as directly working on the program directly. Like I was using my Ipad Pro and duet Pro with my Surface Pro 3 since I rather dislike that earlier Pro 3 N-trig tech. The Ipad is basically acting as a middle man in interacting with the program.....and where as Cintiqs feel rather natural to use.....Duet Pro specifically felt like I was using a middle man. Its more akin to remote working into another computer (if you've ever done that)....where the minimal lag, delay, and scaling never makes you forget you are working remotely on another system.

Astropad supposedly does still work better then Duet Pro from what I've been able to gather....but that's only an option for those who have a Mac.

But acctually there is a way to turn a Win 10 tablet into a Cintiq lite....depending on the quality of your wi-fi connection. Pressure and everything.

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2016/10/13/pen-remoting-turns-surface-pro-into-cintiq-lite

10. JasonThePhotographer

Thanks that last part is exactly what I was looking for. Enough to buy the windows 10 Galaxy Book 12inch. I think I would get a lot more use from a windows 10 tablet than Ipad.
    The main issue that I can possibly see, is essentially just remote desktop to another computer. As my main computer has 3 screens, will it share all screens or can I choose just the one. Where it would be better if the desktop computer could add the GB12 as another screen and obtain the touch screen pen controls on that one screen.