Samsung Galaxy Book 12 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

FYI - I am running my GB 12 on Verizon

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Switching to Verizon would be harder than iPhone X to Galaxy Note 9.

Bishop likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh. I see the grammar now. Em-FAA-sis on the wrong sy-LAH-bul.

A thousand pardons Sidi ...

dstrauss likes this.
  4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Just because there was no IFA announcement does not mean there is no hope for the refresh coming this Fall, right? Anyone still expecting by October considering the leak and $130-ish markoff on Samsung's sight?

I'd buy the old one but I just want 8-16gb RAM and presumably a higher screen res.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was hoping that they'd announce something today when they announced their dumb 4-camera phone but apparently not.

6. dstrauss

The decision tree is about to get chopped down - it's a race between:
    • existing HP Spectre Folio 13 (which I know can be had with i7/16gb/1-2tb SSD, but no 4G LTE yet)
    • rumored Galaxy Book 2 (hopefully with kickstand) but who knows about LTE or any other specs
    The HPSF13 concerns me because it is just as big and heavy as my Surface Book 2, only FHD, and Wacom AES; BUT I have been told it will offer QC 4G LTE at some point, and I just love that I can go from real laptop to tablet without removing and reversing the screen. It's even better than the Galaxy Book and Surface Pro in this regard so you can quickly move back and forth between taking notes and typing.

The GB2 concerns me just for the lack of meaningful information. Will LTE only be sold through Verizon again; will we finally get 16gb RAM and 512GB-1TB SSD options? Inquiring minds want to know! But it will have Wacom EMR on its side.

Then there's the dark horse in the race - iPad Pro 2018 - which will at least release an LTE version right out of the gate, but would only be a portable accessory to the SB2 and I'm betting the Apple No. 2 Pencil won't be much of an improvement over the original (that, and I'd be willing to bet a fully dressed model will run every bit as expensive as the GB2).

The soap opera never ends...why am I not more like @Bronsky, @Mesosphere; @jnjroach, and the other more stable members of our tribe...:confused:o_O:oops::(

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  7. dstrauss

Quick Update of the Decision Tree:

The latest rumor, that Apple is using an A12X in the iPad Pro, may be a game changer. Normally iPad get's the "X" version of last year's best, not this year's iPhone. With USB-C 4k display support, all that is missing from the "DeX-like" experience is mouse support (if you can live with FileBrowser as your file system). That dark horse is beginning to see more light as the iPad Pro, thanks to Microsoft's emphasis on iOS and Android, looks like a real replacement for the non-Pro Mac side of Apple's lineup.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. dstrauss

OK SAMSUNG - ANNOUNCE THE DAMN THING!

If the Galaxy Book 2 exists, then out with it already! It does no good to wait until after the iPad Pro 2018 announcement, as all signs point to an October 30 event for that (with Cook's announced travel agenda there's no place else to fit it). HP has dropped the Spectre Folio 13t, and nothing new on the horizon from Dell or Lenovo (well, there's the mythical eInk Yoga Book)...

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR????????????:mad:

9. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

10. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...... :-( Seriously? Could it be that there will be other variants based on Intel?

edit -- It also seems the screen has not changed. That means 2015 era amoled. I was really hoping for a 10bit screen with reduced PWM....

DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.