Samsung Galaxy Book 12 (2018)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Aug 10, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm going to defend it a bit. First I would posit that those on these forums (myself included) are not really the target market for this device.

As I have posted before (not always nicely) we are working and testing one in house both to support customers with WOS devices and to possibly allow it as an approved device for employees.

First of all, the battery life is simply outstanding (far better than my Surface Go). I can easily carry one around for a couple of days and not worry about a charger. Related to that and it seems to be a WOS thing, but there is virtually no battery drain during sleep/standby unlike the majority of intel systems.

Secondly, the LTE on this is hands down the best we have seen on any device close to this form factor, in all aspects including speed, connectivity and again battery life. When used extensively as a LTE device it has easily three times the endurance of the Surface Pro with LTE doing the same tasks.

Thirdly, the screen is top notch. One thing that gets missed or not really tested in most reviews is using them in somewhat adverse environments. (harsh glare and shadows is frequently my life)
    The GB screen subjectively seems to be the most viewable in the most adverse conditions compared to anything else I have used except a couple of EXTREMELY expensive toughbooks.

That all being said, I really cant explain why they went with 4GB RAM. Given the memory footprint that x86 emulation gives, it makes no sense. And to add insult to injury, it has fairly slow storage too. We have already seen where a fast SSD like in the new Yogabook e-ink can make a machine feel considerably snappier even with 4GB RAM

End of whatever this is :)

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Very informative is what it is. I am jealous of the battery life. It is the most obvious limitation of the Go.

JoeS likes this.
  3. desertlap

Yeah if acrobat and chrome weren't such dogs on it, I'd consider replacing my go. Office is already decent and there is hope for Adobe with ARM in general .
    Adobe "should" be able to take what they have done with their iPad offerings and fairly easily port it over to WOS since both architectures are ARM based. The question is will they

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@desertlap — I don't think people here are against the GB 2 itself so much. Had it been its own line, or replacement for the GB 10.6, it probably would have gotten some liking. But Samsung decided to make it the successor of the well-received GB 12 which people were expecting to be upgraded and refined, not tossed in the trash and substituted with a WOA device.

Deep disappointment turned to anger against Samsung for doing that. It's only natural.

Tams, nnthemperor, Bronsky and 4 others like this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Also, the price on this is a bit much, specially when compared to other ARM based Windows machines and Intel machines with similar specs.

6. desertlap

Agreed on the price. If it was in the $650 range I'd dump my go for it just to get the LTE

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I was burned once with Windows on ARM, so I am a bit cautious about it. But, if 8gb was an options at that price I'd be looking at an lte model.

8. desertlap

As I explained earlier we are evaluating both this unit and the Lenovo yoga for both external support and approved devices for employees.

So apparently 8GB Ram is a huge difference in performance. On our internal benchmark app the Lenovo which has *8GB is over twice as fast. Even experiential things like launching Acrobat and using chrome the speed difference is immediately noticeable.

Too bad I much prefer the Galaxy book form factor.
    BTW: The extra RAM in the Lenovo may impact battery life. It's still pretty decent, but doesn't seem to last quite as long as the Samsung

WillAdams likes this.
  9. desertlap

Ok , definitely in the realm of rumor/speculation, but my one of my engineers was working with a Samsung engineer yesterday on the WOS SDK and came across references to a Samsung model number set which he could not find anywhere in the usual places. The Samsung engineer's response was "oh that's the new pro....." and then caught himself.

10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Would these by any chance be the model numbers I posted back here?

The Russian ECC certification had "A", "N", and "V" variants of the SM737 and an "N" for the SM738...I've been wondering what happened to those other SKUs for while now.

Btw, is the model number of your unit the "SM738N"? (That would follow the previous naming convention of the "8" ending model being the LTE variant.)

DRTigerlilly and dstrauss like this.