Samsung Galaxy Book 10 : problem with pen in Excel

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by sammmy, Nov 14, 2018.

1. sammmy

sammmy Pen Pal - Newbie

I cannot use the pen to select several cells by dragging over them in Excel. Also, I cannot select an Excel chart and move it with the pen. In short, the pen does not act like a mouse. When I drag it over the spreadsheet it scrolls it. The same behavior repeats when I try to use my finger instead of the pen.

I use Excel 2010.

This is extremely frustrating, since selecting several cells is a frequent operation in Excel and I either have to use keyboard shortcuts or use an actual mouse.
    I no longer use the original keyboard since it lost connection with the tablet long time ago (typical problem for Galaxy Book), so I cannot use its trackpad instead of a mouse.

Is there any solution?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No. Because Microsoft decided that a pen is no more a mouse but a finger. You can try your real fingers directly, because Microsoft did something for excel and real fingers.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As @thierryb noted, it's caused by a change in how Microsoft handles the stylus since Fall Creators Update.

I've characterized it as a bug and have been lobbying to get it fixed: https://github.com/TheJoeFin/Windows10-Community/issues/17

but I've rolled back to 1703 twice now, and have disabled up-dating until such time as Microsoft at least allows an option to revert to the original behavior.

4. sammmy

sammmy Pen Pal - Newbie

It is rather dumb of Microsoft to treat the stylus as a finger to scroll when most people use the stylus as a substitute for a mouse and if they want to scroll, they can use their finger. Not that I am surprised ...

I've read on some forum that MS Office 2016 has an option to 'use the pen as a mouse', however it was not clear if this is true only for Office 365 version or the desktop version?

WillAdams likes this.
  5. sammmy

sammmy Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally got the old pen behavior back in Excel with the registry hack below. It is not a system-wide solution - a web spreadsheet still recognizes the pen as a finger:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink/comments/8508fi/controlling_pen_behavior_in_windows_10/

By executing the following from an elevated command line, the next time any legacy application starts it will get the prior pen behavior from the Windows 10 Anniversary Update: “reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f”

Anytime you want to switch legacy applications back to the behavior introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creator’s Update, execute this: “reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f”

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Actually, the pen act as a mouse when you hold down the right click button of the pen.
    This problem is only a Galaxy Book issue because it's the only tablet pc on the market with a pen that doesn't have right click.

7. sammmy

sammmy Pen Pal - Newbie

At the end, after the registry hack that got me the desired behavior only in Excel, I finally got a system-wide reversal to the normal behavior (pen acts like a mouse, not a finger) after I installed some NTrig driver mentioned below. This is strange because the SPen is not Ntrig but anyways, for now the problem is completely solved for me. Note: the registry hack and the driver install have to be done in sequence for this to work. I tried to undo the hack and go by only with the driver - it doesn't work.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...windows-10-and-spen.72302/page-98#post-519885

4. Alternative pen driver: Wintab_x64_1.0.0.20

This should probably be at the top of the list rather than the bottom. While the Microsoft Windows Ink pen driver (built into Windows 10) has been improving and software providers like Adobe and Celsys are streamlining their products to work efficiently with it, you will want to have a copy of this old legacy driver on hand, (especially as it is required for some of the Photoshop fixes):

Follow the instructions on forum member, surfaceproartist's page to download:

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2015/6/2/new-download-link-for-n-trig-wintab-driver

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.