Samsung Book 9 (emr) 940x5m

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by jbomb, Jan 20, 2020.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been using this computer for a few years and over the last year, it has become almost impossible to draw in photoshop. I've been using version 19, and the newest version is worse. I've set the performance preferences to what they suggest, but it still doesn't help.

Any suggestions? will this be an issue with the upcoming replacement from Samsung?

2. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

It's hard to say, but I'd love to know this too. Photoshop has become bloated and laggy across a range of devices I own (none of them currently Samsungs). I'm currently waiting on a Samsung Notebook 9 Pen laptop that will be delivered soon... so I may have more experience and/or advice next week.

Currently running: Photoshop 20.0.2 on a Surface Studio 2 and 20.0.5 on a Surface Pro 6

Things that I've tried to help diminish (but not entirely reduce) Photoshop lag beyond the Performance settings:
    + Reducing the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 if it is any higher than that, and setting Windows native scaling to 100%. This has helped on devices that had higher than FHD resolutions.
    + Shutting down Chrome. On my 8GB RAM Surface Pro 6, Chrome was a HUGE memory hog. I got better performance out of Photoshop when Chrome was closed and not competing for system resources.
    + Keeping files smaller than 3000x3000 pixels, then scaling up 110-120% near the end of painting. This one hurt, and I would not suggest doing for any professional projects.
    + Not using Photoshop groups/folders. For some reason, introducing a Photoshop group/folder into a file creates TERRIBLE brush lag on my SP6. Removing them makes drawing bearable again, but only just. This might help out.
    + Turning off brush stroke previews / removing unnecessary brushes from the active library. Makes selecting a new brush a less horrifying experience in lag & bloat.

The brush lag is bad enough on my Surface Pro 6 that I no longer use Photoshop for client projects on it. I do most of my painting in Sketchbook and only do finishing touches in Photoshop.

The lag on my Surface Studio 2 is less, and it's running at 32GB RAM / GTX 1070. Where I start to experience lag is when I use symmetry tools on 300dpi for 8.5x11in... which was a huge part of one of my client projects last year. It was maddening.

This is all to say, I'm not sure to what extent you're experiencing problems with your specific machine, and not Photoshop sucking royally on everything that isn't a 32GB+, multiple SSD for scratch drives, discrete gpu desktop system.

I'm near the end of my rope, and am thinking of jumping ship to Clip Studio Paint next month.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  3. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, the thing that buts me is that I never used to have problems. I thought that maybe adobe didn't account for the video card that my computer has or something. It's a shame because I never used ot have these issues.

Lilawyn likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Photoshop hit its rock-solid performance peek during the CS series. I think CS 5 was the most stable it has ever been. Everything worked! No crashes, no hangs, no freezing issues. I was a proud Photoshop user.

Then they went to their CC series, and it has been a steady series of bugs and lags. The lasso tool, (THE FREAKIN' LASSO TOOL!) has not been reliable since, up to the current CC version. -I select in small bites because you never know when the computer will hiccup and close your selection or stutter or freeze.

It's amazing, because the lasso selection tool was easily one of the most important, primary functions of the whole program, the feature it was created to support! -You have an image, you need to manipulate a part of it, so you select that part. The entire process was built around being able to select accurately.

Now it doesn't work. Astonishing. And frustrating.

Boo, Adobe! For shame.

I wish that ClipStudio Paint would implement a basic polygonal selection feature, and then I'd be able to pretty much retire Photoshop in every respect when it comes to drawing and painting.

Lilawyn likes this.