Samsung ATIV Smart PC (500T) Won't turn on!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by AmusableSman, Sep 6, 2014.

1. AmusableSman

AmusableSman Pen Pal - Newbie

What happened?:
    So lemme start by explaining the situation.
    I got this tablet from future shop around christmas time of last year and havent had many problems with it except for the occasional freezing/slowness every once in a while but I was pretty good to manage it and keep it from damage or viruses or any of that stuff.
    So lets skip ahead to basically the beginning June, I was using the tablet to watch a couple of videos online. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing else was running (I always manage what is running so to keep it from slowing down) and suddenly i place my hand on the back and it it quite hot... like hotter then it should be and so i get worried... and check my programs and stop everything and shut down all unneccesary programs.
    Then it happened. It froze. I was still quite worried so I did the only thing I could do in the situation, I forced a shut down and left it for a few hours to let it cool off.
    I come back a few hours later and try to turn it on but something weird happens and it will not stop to this day.

What's wrong with it?:
    So when i press the power button to turn it on... it works normally for a few seconds.
    Typical process; Screen turns on and the SAMSUNG logo screen pops up.
    But after about a second the tablet will turn itself off, then turn itself ON again??
    Only to repeat it OVER AND OVER.
    Gets to the samsung screen, No windows logo, nothing else pops up... just turns off and back on and will not stop until i press the power button again to make it stop.

What have I tried?:
    Well there isn't much I can try or do. The tablet doesnt stay ON long enough for me to access the BIOS or the Vol UP + Power reset.

Why am I here?:
    Well there is literally nothing about this problem ANYWHERE on the internet that I can find. I called Samsung and had no assistance since the lady on the phone seemed more confused about the problem then I was and I can't find the recipt at the moment so that I can prove that the 1-yr. warranty is not void.
    So I really want to know... Am I screwed?
    Did I pay like 350$ - 400$(CAN) for tablet that lasted around 5 months?
    Is there anything I can do or did I waste my money?

2. muntu

muntu Pen Pal - Newbie

Could be a bad battery connection. Open the unit (I think instructions are on here somewhere) and unplug the battery and boot off AC power only.

3. Jovica

Jovica Pen Pal - Newbie

Plug in Power cord.
    Turn it on,and after that you need to fast press fn+f4..
    Than pops up a menu you can press what you want to do...
    Sorry for my bad english because i'm from Serbia.
    Good luck! :-D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
  4. Jim Futrell

Jim Futrell Pen Pal - Newbie

We had the same problem and finally fixed it. Our ATIV did this for a while then quit even trying to boot - blue power light came on but nothing else. Try this: remove the back cover (there's a good youtube video on that) and look on the motherboard just below and to the right of the fan. There is a tiny copper switch there - hard to see. Click it a couple of times. Then look at the inside of the back cover - there is a small rubber block at the same location as the switch. Cut a small piece of electrical tape and put it on the top of the block. Replace the cover - snap it on completely! - and boot up. Problem resolved.

This is evidently a "deadman switch" that cuts off power to the motherboard if the back is removed. Over time the block holding down the switch gets weak and allows the switch to open - randomly at first, then completely.

Nice of Samsung to keep this secret, eh?

Good luck.

5. gadget46

gadget46 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi, I have 500t1c and it is not even opening. I push the power button, nothing happens. I have charged nearly one day and power on, nothing happens. connected to tv via hdmi and power on, nothing happens. 10 minutes ago, I have opened the back, disconnected the battery, connected again, did what jim says, nothing happens.. dou you have any idea? 2 years past after buying, so there is no warranty :(
    thank you..

6. Felipe

Felipe Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you turn on the ATIV Smart PC XE500T1c-A04us with the AC connected and the internal battery disconnected?

I thought that the post from “muntu” was the answer to my question, but then I read the post from “Jim Futrell” mentioning a fan and my model has no fan. Do I have a different model?

I am trying to determine why my ATIV Smart PC XE500T1c-A04us is not turning on at all. There are no LED’s on (blue light near the camera). There is no image of any kind.

I replaced:
    1- the AC connector board and cable (to the keyboard connector)
    2- the keyboard connector board and cable (to the logic board)
    3- The charger

If anyone have tried to turn on a model XE500T1c with the internal battery disconnected please help.

I sent this question to Samsung Support and this was their answer.

Thank you for contacting Samsung. With reference to your email, I see that the Smart PC XE500T1C-A04US is not turning at all and would like to know if there is anyone have tried to turn On the tablet PC with the internal battery disconnected. I understand the inconvenience caused. We appreciate all your efforts. It is not possible to turn On the tablet PC with the internal battery disconnected. However, please follow the steps below to sort out the issue.

The steps bellow includes two links that doesn’t work.

I will order a new battery and will post the results.

2-01-16 Solved!!! Battery replaced, works fine now. This model will not turn On with the battery disconnected.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  7. spawn

spawn Pen Pal - Newbie

My ATIV Smart PC XE500T1c-A04us has the same symptom as Felipe had. Not charging, not turning on and no led light. It has been having similar symptoms on and off in the past since I bought it but somehow I could turn it on. Not this time. So, I replaced the battery with a new one which is good for sure but there is no change at all. I checked the voltage and continuity on the motherboard and everything looks fine but I don't know what I'm missing. It is just 2 years that I have kept it.

8. Patsy Kaiser

Patsy Kaiser Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I have a Samsung 500t tablet and I tried to turn it on the other day and nothing happens. I bought a new battery for it and it still won't turn on. The power cord has voltage but nothing will turn on the tablet any suggests please help. And mine is also 2 years old they should last longer than this.Thanks

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  9. Ayla

Ayla Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody
    Do anyone knows how I can recover my all lost data which is cleaned after :( I recovered my samsung Ativ ??? :(

10. Mansstery

Mansstery Pen Pal - Newbie

Restart the computer