1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T factory reset

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by wyzard, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wyzard

wyzard Pen Pal - Newbie

I am trying to do a factory reset on my ATIV 500T but it is asking me to insert media. This is tablet and obviously doesn't have a cd drive. I don't have anything to install. Anyone have any suggestions on how to factory reset this without media or to bypass that request.

Thanks.
  2. DanaC

DanaC Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problem but it ended up I had to send it for service. First they say it needs re-image, it's a software problem and it's not under warranty then it turns out for me that it's a hardware problem and that is under warranty.
  3. amdhunter

amdhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

That is unacceptable. Extremely unacceptable.

As someone who is very capable of installing Windows, I'd be really mad if Samsung told me that I had to send it to them, and on top of that, pay them to do it for me.

This pisses me off to no end. Although there are ways to clean install Windows, Samsung should NOT be telling people it will cost money to re-image a device.
  4. DanaC

DanaC Pen Pal - Newbie

Tell me about it! I was so pissed but I had to send it in anyways because it would not boot up. I told them that I didn't put in the windows 8 software they did, they didn't care! Samsung's customer service is not very good.
    I finally got my tablet back from repair, the repair center lost my S-Pen!!! I had to call the customer service and wait another hour for someone to deal with my "problem" and that's another 3-5 days for them to send it to me!!! I just want to SCREAM!!! I will NEVER buy from Samsung AGAIN!!!
  5. bigliljoe

bigliljoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope this answers all of your questions. It is a lot easier than you might think to reset to factory settings. First bring ip the onscreen keyboard. Once it is up, press the shift key. The shift key should be highlighted. Now press the power button that should be located in the bottom left hand corner. You now have a few options. Select reset, it will ask you if you would like to simply reset your computer or to erase all files. Select the option to erase all files, the reboot should take about 30 minutes but your samsung is now reset to factory settings.
  6. Atcold

Atcold Pen Pal - Newbie

The procedure, under Windows 8 is:
    1. Click on Settings (on the right Win8 tool bar)
    2. More PC settings
    3. General
    4. Reset your PC and start over
  7. arcinla

arcinla Pen Pal - Newbie

This did not work. Is there a way to reset the device from the initial login screen? I haven't used my device in a few months and don't remember the password. I'm trying to give it to a friend, but it's making it difficult.
  8. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

In no way do I mean to call you out, but samsung did say when I sent mine in to "NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE TABLET"... I didn't give them my spen because I figured they would snatch it. Still, sucks you got the shaft from them.
  9. restodo

restodo Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problem and the solution was made doing this.

Refresh or Reset Windows 8 without Installation Disk

Previously I had to go to CMD and using DISKPART command, assing a letter to RecoveryImage partition.

After doing this, I select again Reset and everything goes good!

Hope it helps!
  10. restodo

restodo Pen Pal - Newbie

Try this link:

Refresh or Reset Windows 8 without Installation Disk

Before doing this steps, I have to use DISKPART command to assign a letter to RecoveryPartition to point the command line of this website to D:\RecoverImage for example.

After doing all the steps, I try Reset again and it works!
  11. jlachaud36

jlachaud36 Pen Pal - Newbie

Where do I get a Windows 8 Iso from though? I don't have the disc and this tab doesn't have a CD drive.
  12. shawnmos

shawnmos Pen Pal - Newbie

If your recovery partition becomes corrupt you don't need to send it in to reinstall windows (unless you'd like them to restore the recovery partition). All you need to do is download windows 8 iso and make a bootable usb stick using a program called Rufus. Set it to UEFI and select the iso file. Make sure you grab the install key from an existing install using magical jelly bean key finder or similar program.
  13. jlachaud36

So am I grabbing the install key from the downloaded iso or the OEM OS that's already installed?
  14. donb

donb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hold the volume up button while pressing the power on button. It will then state Please Wait... Make sure you connect a mouse or keyboard. If that doesn't work, it will need to be sent in for repair.
  15. shawnmos

shawnmos Pen Pal - Newbie

The install key from the OEM OS. You will need that to do a clean install of windows. Also, you will probably have to attach a usb keyboard/mouse if you don't have the dock because the touch screen won't work until you install the drivers.

I would only do this if you can't recover from the recovery partition.
  16. jlachaud36

I hear what your saying but I am in the same boat where I am locked out and don't remember the password. How can I obtain the key if I can't even get to the desktop?