Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winddancer

winddancer Pen Pal - Newbie

Well... now it is official... Samsung delayed the ATIV Q without a new release date.
    Here's the German press info:

"Der Marktstart des ATIV Q wurde bis auf weiteres verschoben.
    Bei dem Gerät handelt es sich um ein Produkt mit zahlreichen neuen Funktionen, die speziell
    für dieses Produkt entwickelt wurden und daher auf dem Markt bisher auch noch nicht
    verfügbar sind. Aus diesem Grund hat sich Samsung in der finalen Phase der Vorbereitungen
    dafür entschieden, die Entwicklung des ATIV Q, gerade auch in Hinblick auf die neuen Funktionen,
    noch weiter voran zu treiben, um das volle Leistungspotenzial ausschöpfen zu können.
    Samsung arbeitet daran, die höchste Produktqualität zu realisieren und benötigt entsprechend
    zusätzliche Zeit vor der endgültigen Markteinführung."

loosley translated

"The launch of the ATIV Q has been postponed until further notice. The device is a product with numerous features, which have been specificly designed for this product and therefore are not available on the market. For this reason Samsung decided in the final phase of preparations to further develop the ATIV Q, to fully tap the devices potential. Samsung works to achieve highest product quality and therefore needs more time for the final product launch"

Well, at least they didn't scrap it and if they polish the device further and / or improve on hw specs I'm ok with that. I guess we'll see...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

Very interesting and thank you for this translation. I'm sure we're all interested to see what kind of changes they come up with and how quickly they do.

3. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

It's Interesting that according to reviews Ativ Q hadn't any engineering issues. But the press release clearly states they want to improve something. Why would they do that? If they'll wait till let's say Christmas some other big players like Asus or Lenovo could enter the market with hybrids similar to ativ Q.

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well. Almost every site had complaints that 4GB RAM was too small. If its soldered onto the board then it might be a significant rework to make that upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

5. Zeelobby

That definitely makes sense too, but, you are referring to the price as if it were set in stone. A lot of companies use public response from a launch announcement to determine production quantities and probability of success. If necessary they will retool their devices to target the most sales. Samsung could have easily seen demand, seen comments stating that A, 1500+ is too much, and B, 4GB RAM is too little, and have decided to offer a wider range of options. A good, but much more sloppy, example of this can be seen in the XBox One announcement and back peddling. The difference there is that its essentially a 2 player market and hype is critical to a device's success, so beating the opposition to the announcement/release is key. Hence the 6 month early announcement .

I for one am very happy that Samsung have taken consumer's feedback into consideration, and have not released a uninspiring product. I'd rather have two options up front then buy a 4GB now only to find out an 8GB is being released later.

6. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

We cant just sit and wait for em to announce the redesigned specs, lets start speculatin' !

My few must-change would be:

- Da RAM. We wants 8GB dammit !
    - Move USB 3 port so that it is available in tablet mode (ie swap the USB 2 and USB 3 ports)
    - mini-display port please
    - add a darn LED or 2 to light up the keyboard.
    - IR receiver ?

7. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Source please?

8. Zeelobby

I second these changes! To be honest, the high resolution is nice, but release a 1080 version and reduce the price and I may honestly be more interested in that. I know, I know, blasphemy, but they are already using 13" lower res touch screen panels for their other devices. Would be a nice way to open up another price point.

9. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree, this is a good point. I'd also add NFC to the mix, because, why not? And the Duo has it as well.

10. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh dear...... Now it´s official....... :(

Time to join the speculation crew :D

Not happy but not sad either, especially since apparently the ATIV is going to get better..... Better late than never i guess.

More competion = better prices.

Right now only Samsung and Sharp make panels with such a high resolution, but i´m sure LG will follow soon, so before the end of 2013 we might see more tablets similar to the ATIV, which would be great.

The ATIV was good enough for me, but if i could change something i would add an extra inch (14.") and change the aspect ratio from 16:09 to 16:10 (i know it´s not going to happen....) and replace the micro sd slot to sd (a cheap way to add more storage capacity).

+ this

I reckon 8 gig RAM won´t hurt :eek:

We´ll find out soon.....

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.