Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that's dissappointing to hear, guess I can stop checking the web every day for additional info now.

2. Beltz5

Beltz5 Pen Pal - Newbie

They didn't mention anything about retooling specs just the change of release date. Probably because of windows 8.1. (I would rather get it now and update windows on my own)

3. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

I dont think it has anything to do with 8.1. Sammy has a history of releasing products with inferior OS versions on them than updating later. They knew the timeline with 8.1 for a long time and as posted earlier they probably already have 8.1 in there hands or will have it soon.

4. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

I think this is bad news for a timely release of the Q. Notice they mention not just release considerations but also production considerations, eluding to the fact that the Q is not actively in production yet. Honestly the remark on Facebook seems to suggest that the Q is 2+ months away from release and this is why they removed it from their Web site. The good thing is it does not seem to be canceled but it is likely not going to be out any time soon. If I see a good deal for a Duo 13, I think I'm just going to get it. The Q announcement and release has been a disaster. It did not occur to them to properly spec out a $1500 laptop. They come up with a crippled configuration for release in "August" and now all indications are there will be no August release and it seems there is no imminent release date at all. I probably should never have canceled the Duo 13 I ordered.

5. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep agreed. I currently have no issue with my Surface pro so the Sammy Q 4gb was not really an issue for me. I would have def grabbed 8gb version if they offered it. Going forward alot of other models will def be out before holidays so Sammy will probably either rush this out to compete or miss the mark.

6. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

With em making a killin with phones, the potential rev loss due to Q delays is a less than a drop in the bucket. They could really care less.

When and if Sammy decides to go after Apple in tablet/laptop arena _in earnest_, they just might get their act together. For now, tough luck for us. My Surface Pro is glad to get an indefinite stay of execution. They was stickin the needle in when the phone rang :)

7. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd read this as: "We only have limited number of qHD+ screens, so we are deciding what is the better way to sell it - inside Ativ book plus or Ativ Q"

8. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

They could have easily addressed this by charging a premium and raked in more money on both models. Something else is up I think...

9. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, I think this makes the most sense of all. It accounts for both the "production" and "marketing" sides of the statement. It is 1) something that could have come along unexpectedly, in that production yields on the QHD+ screens could have simply been lower than expected (that's a lot of pixels), 2) they'd certainly rather put the QHD+ screens in a "normal" notebook chassis that is far more likely to appeal to a broader segment of the market than the likely somewhat niche form factor of the ATIV Q. There have been people chomping at the bit for a "Retina" level Windows machine since the Retina MacBook Pro came out, and those people are far more likely, IMO, to buy the Book 9 Plus than the ATIV Q. In fact, they might have seen a higher-than-expected level of interest in the Book 9 Plus, and so decided to put their resources towards what is a more salable product at a possibly higher margin (the ATIV Q probably costs more to produce).

I do see this as having a positive plus side, in that Samsung now has time to source higher-capacity RAM or figure out a way to fit 8GB in the chassis. I'm sure they can't have helped but notice that many people haven't been happy with a 4GB limit. So, yes, it's delayed considerably, but the potential for a better machine is there.

Personally, I'm still looking for an all-in-one solution: a productive Win 8 machine coupled with an Android tablet, so that I only have to carry one device with me. Until that comes out to my satisfaction, I'll stick with my MacBook Air running Win 8 in a VM or Boot Camp, and my Nexus 10. This is disappointing, but at this point not at all surprising.

10. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you mean "They couldn't care less." Sorry to be pedantic but it's just a pet peeve of mine :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.