Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Pen Pal - Newbie

How tight are the hinges on this thing? Is the top hinge tight enough to hold the screen steadily at an angle without the lower edge of the screen resting against the base? Is the base hinge even tight enough that you can tilt the "mid section" towards the space bar with the screen at an angle and have the whole setup stay like that without the screen resting against the keyboard? (not expecting that last one tbh)

What I'm hoping for is that one will be able to set the screen in between the regular "laptop" position and the completely horizontal screen facing upwards - and that it would then be able to stay there without flopping down. This so one could type well (hands under part of the screen) with the Ativ Q quite close the stomach while sitting with it one one's lap. In other words - perfect for working while flying, where the seatback in front of you can be very close and you need to adjust the screen to nearly horizontal but not quite.

Also, how useful/precise do you find the trackpoint in the middle? Say, compared to the Thinkpad "nub" (of which I am a huge fan and devout user).

I hope you don't mind me jumping in and asking stuff in my first post ever like this. Just found this forum, been scouring the whole internets about info on this tantalizing piece of tech :) Also apologies if these things have been asked before, I didn't find them yet in the thread. Thank you.

2. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

I just looked it up again and it's still up for $1399, unless you were just pointing to the same old picture when you found it a few days ago, thought it was back to $1000 here you had me thinking about jumping the gun and buying it lol.

To those saying we're being childish complaining and all that stuff, I totally understand they can't just come up and say yeah it's coming certain day and for certain price, we know sometimes they got to keep the information under wraps, but a simple 'as of this moment we have no information available on status, price or release date' would suffice but they can't even do that? I mean plain ignoring every single loyal customer and potential new customers without even a simple answer like the one I just stated doesn't make me feel like I look forward to do business with them.

3. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah it has gone back up to $1399 but if it came down to $1025 once I know it will come down there again.

Already people are buying the Duo 13 because Samsung has withdrawn the little information they had about the Q with no update confirming it will be released and if it will be available with enough RAM for serious work. If the Duo 13 had the 3200X1800 display I would have bought one a month ago...

I'm honestly surprised Asus and Lenovo are missing altogether. Neither have a convertible 13" ultra high resolution tablet based on Haswell. Maybe one is coming... (?)

4. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it won't happen soon though, my guess is they had the offer for a few select units because it's Back to School season.

Well Asus has got a nice convertible coming which you all know about already but it's not ultra HD, and Lenovo seems like they're still quite happy with their Yoga so maybe next year?

5. Excel Mechanic

Excel Mechanic Pen Pal - Newbie

I think this image answers ur question of whether you can adjust the angle in floating mode.
    [​IMG]

6. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

+ this one

[​IMG]

7. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

i think
    This demos the hinge well, but would love to know if the stiffness will hold up over time Samsung ATIV Q Review - YouTube.

8. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Wiidesire

A few pages back i posted that by judging from the pics of the first review (phonearena) every part of the ATIV seems to be hold with screws, is this correct?

If it is, do you think it would be **relatively** easy to replace the battery in case it fails after warranty expires ("normal" user i mean with no special skills dealing with this kind of hardware) and/or upgrade the SSD to bigger capacity?

Thanks

Regards

9. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello Javier,

as I don't know whether replace batteries will be available for non Samsung partner repair shops or not I cannot answer your question. If it is then you will loose the warranty when you open it.

(that is the reason why I didn't open it, it isn't my device)

Best regards

Max

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk 4

10. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It used to be that screws = repair, but with a lot of these newer devices, which are engineered impressively to fit everything into a very slim design, it is the fact that components tend to be soldered or glued onto the circuit boards. Many of the new tablets can be taken apart, but replacing memory/ssd is difficult because of the way it is affixed to the board. You could probably pry/loosen it and remove it, and then replace it with a new one, but most aren't made to allow this, and spare parts are usually hard to come by unless you buy an ebayed, out of warranty broken device.

That said, the Razer Edge is actually pretty accessible on the inside, but being a niche device for gamers (who like to tinker with everything) and being relatively large in size for a tablet probably helped with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.