Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. francanna

francanna Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys it is only preorder for one specific sale code / model. We can't say if this is going to be the only on neither if the price is going to be finally this one.
    As for me, I don't mind 8GB but I would never buy such a device at such a price without a 3g option. And the price is definitely too high.
    Right now one can get a Sony Vaio Duo 13 at 1499 euros with 8GB ram and 3g module. No Android, but you can virtualize it (money and hardware cannot be virtualized)

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 con Tapatalk 2

2. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

All good points. What concerned me is that when other models were announced, they were announced with other trim levels. Both Lenovo (Helix) and Sony (Duo 13) have a history of offering customizable models across their lineup but looking at the Samsung Web site that does not seem to be the case.

Whenever I see any ATIV Q news or models available for pe-sale, all I see is a retarded 4GB of RAM. What does Samsung expect you to do to with 4GB of RAM for a about $1,500 device? When I pay that kind of money I expect a solid productivity platform. Not some tablet for playing Angry Birds and watching videos.

3. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

I too have an Asus G75VX and that thing is a beast! I upgraded it with 20GB of RAM and I love how it screams through everything I do. I have a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD that I use as the Windows boot partition and it is a dream to use (but not to carry around!).

My point is how can you buy this with only 4GB of RAM? In some ways I believe RAM is even more important than the processor speed as next to hard disk speed, that's usually what slows you down when running multiple applications. Especially with the 3200X1800 screen I was going to use this for photo manipulation along with Visual Studio Development and running other business applications -- at the same time. When you can buy a $450 laptop with 4GB of RAM it absolutely ridiculous to offer this for anywhere near $1,500 with only 4GB of RAM.

The primary reason I am waiting for the ATIV Q and canceled my Duo 13 order is because of the 3200X1800 screen but I am not sure I can justify what this will be on sale for if the device is sold crippled with 4GB of RAM.

I have another 4GB laptop and it really starts crawling when you have a few applications going.

4. francanna

francanna Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I have a Smart PC 500 Ativ and here in Italy Samsung sales 3 models: A01 that is full optional with keyboard, stylus, 3g and nfc, A03 without 3g and stylus and A02 without 3g, stylus and keyboard... I know that is all same processor and ram, but NO stylus models required different case (no hole for stylus) and hardware (no wacom layer). So, the company knows how to differentiate and I would not be surpised if we get models with 128, 256, 4gb ram, 8gb ram, 4g and no 4g.
    This is the reason why I suggest all of you just to wait until final specs and models (sale codes) will be finally out.

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 con Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  5. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

So now I see that the ATIV Q is available for pre-order also in the UK for 1,399. But again with a retarded 4GB of RAM. They only seem to be selling this device with low-end specs while charging a premium. It makes no sense.

I think Samsung really miscalculated the target market for this laptop. Few people paying about $1,500 will be looking for a low-end device that comes with the same amount of RAM as a $500 laptop. I guess they don't want customers to multitask and really use that 3200X1800 display by hobbling this device with so little RAM.

I just wish the Duo 13 was available with a 3200X1800 ultra high resolution screen so I can buy a 13" tablet with proper specs for the work I do.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/ativ-q-and-ativ-book-ultrabook-available-for-pre-order-in-uk06-07-2013/

6. heavyharmonies

heavyharmonies Pen Pal - Newbie

This.

I love the form factor and the other specs, but to cripple it with 4GB max given both the price point and who is likely to be buying, makes no sense at all. Samsung is excluding an entire chunk of its potential target audience.

7. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe they would think about adding more RAM if lots of people complain. Doesn't Samsung manufacture their own RAM as well?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

*whistling contentedly in the background while using my 13.3" tablet with 16 gigs ram...*

There's multitasking and productivity galore in the Fujitsu camp boys!
    If the uber high res is your thing, maybe the T903 will be 1920x1080 in the same 13.3" form. lol Any higher is doubtful though. I don't think I'd want higher than that though unless the screen was 15"+

9. dcbCreative

dcbCreative Here for cookies.

I can conceivably purchase a Samsung ATIV Q with only 4gb of RAM because... ...I've done more creatively with less resources.

I agree $1,500 a premium price to pay for a less than ideal device but it comes close enough for my wants and realistic needs. Of course I desire more power and for less money but I'm tired of waiting for the ideal machine to reach market. The Samsung ATIV Q with its 13" wacom, I mean S-Pen, enabled screen and roughly eight, possibly plus, hours of battery life will fit nicely into my current creative flow. It is after all going to be my creation device; for production, I will turn to "the beast".

Remember, each of us are unique in our needs, wants, and compromises.

Besides its not like I've given up on the hope of 8gb of RAM, I politely pester Samsung on their international and regional USA Facebook pages about the potential shortfalls of this product every chance I get.

10. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

Even the ancient T5010 supported 8 GB of RAM... If the Samsung Q ends up having 4 GB , that would be a disappointment.

I was hoping maybe Fujitsu would increase the screen size to 14" and use the 3200 x 1800 resolution screen that was made by Sharp. Windows 8.1 is supposed to have much better DPI scaling then Windows 8/7 so a very high res screen would work better that way.

It's finally time for high res screens to take over. The T5010 from 2008 has a 1280 x 800 resolution screen and my X230t from 2012 has a 1366 x 768 resolution screen.

In 2013 / 2014 , I'm looking forward to a tablet PC with a super high res screen. I don't play any serious games on my tablet so the weak onboard Intel GPU would good enough. I just hope that the implementation of super high res screens don't screw up the wonderful digitizer setup.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.