Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the many speculations from a while back was that Samsung may not have correctly identified the correct market(s) for this device. A unique type of hybrid design, light weight, thin, dual os, and great res are all pluses for a consumer looking for a cool ultrabook that is willing to spend over $1000 for it. What they may not have taken into consideration is that when you combine all of the aforementioned features you can really open up the professional market of individuals, such as the ones in this forum, that use graphics/drawing programs, and the like. Sure, they included the S-Pen but I wouldn't say that that is a bold step in catering to this professional market.

Now that they're seeing a good amount of demand, albeit anecdotal, they're looking to retool the device to cater to the pro market. That said, I don't see why they couldn't just release the 4GB one now/soonish so we can get our wheelchairs and then announce and release an "Ativ Q Pro" version later rather than being all elusive about the whole thing?

Ah, how I love speculation.

2. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know if the Q offers "Connected Standby?" It's a feature I'm finding out about the Duo 13 that allows downloads and background processes to continue while the computer is in sleep mode while consuming just a fraction of the power. So if you are in a hotel room and want to play music or you are stepping away while downloading large files, you can just put the Duo 13 to sleep and while sleeping it will continue the downloads sort of like how your smartphone can download and do stuff while in standby mode.

Sony Vaio Duo 13 Connected Standby Demo « Ultrabook News and the Ultrabook Database

3. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah no worries man, and hopefully.

Maybe wiidesire could look into that feature for us, but I doubt it's capable of it.

I'm also eager to find out the news from the guy who bought it from Adorama and was supposed to get it today or something like that.

4. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I believe that's a Haswell feature but only get activated with Windows 8.1 support.

5. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

do you have an update for us? :)

sorry can't look into it anymore, reinstalling Windows 8 right now to return it in the same state as it came

but think positive: Before the Ativ Q gets released, reviews will published and if the feature is available, they will write about it for sure, so you know before you buy it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I believe the Chipset that the Q uses supports Connected Standby (S0iX) as it should be using the Haswell SoC.

7. JPoole

JPoole Pen Pal - Newbie

I asked Adorama about my order and they were more vague than before. Basically they don't have them yet but the manufacturer told them they would have it by now....

Maybe pcworldlove can get someone who knows more, the customer service people seem to be hit or miss when it comes to these types of questions.

8. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

I think what Samsung failed to understand is that most regular consumers are going to look at all the wonderful features of the Q and not really understand them and write it off as an expensive gimmick. They may not realize all the testing that has gone into the hinge design. Basically the success of this product depends on the pace of early adopters who are going to use this in public and encourage other people to buy it. Most typical consumers who are well off and don't have an issue with the price tag will be nervous buying an unproven design. They'd rather buy a MBP or something made by Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, etc., unless they see the device being widely used.

Basically we are more or less the spear or tip of the marketing campaign for this product if Samsung wants this to become a mainstream device. The design of this device, especially with the ultra high resolution display, is very enticing to power users but the crippled specs with only 4GB of RAM will turn off many of them. If Samsung is counting on this becoming a mainstream device by converting typical consumers into early adopters of an unproved exotic device with low-end specs costing around $1500 they are going to waste all their effort, especially when the Duo 13 is available for just about $1,000.

If they retool this with better specs they have a game changing design. The Q needs to be released with specs that are competitive with the Duo 13. Hopefully Samsung will offer this as a base model at a lower price and a high-end model with better specs so this product can succeed. There is a lot of demand for a Q with high end specs and I have a feeling that perhaps Samsung is surprised with the interest generated by this product. It seems it was created as a casual tablet device but they have the opportunity to reach out to a much larger market willing to pay a lot more.

9. winddancer

winddancer Pen Pal - Newbie

10. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember reading that Hynix has announced 8Gb DRAM chips (what are used to make up the RAM used in machines), which would allow for more RAM in less space. Perhaps Samsung will release a higher-capacity version of the ATIV Q once they have their own 8Gb chips, to allow them to add more RAM without altering the design.

I mean, since we're speculating and everything... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.