Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcworldlove

pcworldlove Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you!!! This is an awesome review!!!
    Can't wait for tomorrow the 6th to check with adorama about my order.

2. martisa

martisa Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm glad if it comes out at last. I can always sell my XPS 12 when Q's 8GB version comes out :) But... does anyone else got the feeling I got that it does not seem an user review...? It pretends to, pointing some cons, but definitely sounds he's very close to his friend at Samsung :D

3. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder how much RAM is taken by the GPU... I'd be okay with reserving 3GB of RAM for Windows if 500MB of it isn't taken by the GPU. So far, my test 2GB Win 8 virtual machine has performed admirably for me in the few weeks I've been using it, so I can work with 2GB available in a pinch. Really, I think it's all down to the SSD--a nice fast SSD makes paging far less noticeable in actual use.

Not saying I wouldn't rather have 8GB. I would. But everything else about the ATIV Q just sounds too perfect.

4. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks @cw2013 for translating what seems like a nice review, and @martisa I'm sure it's a user review and not a rep trying to pass by as a user otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned the lack of the 8gb RAM version like most of us have been doing.

I only want an 8gb version because I want my device to be future proof and lasts me a few years, maybe 4gb will cut it, maybe not.

5. winddancer

winddancer Pen Pal - Newbie

6. hiI'mawesome

hiI'mawesome Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, you're right... I just called the number and the rep I talked to completely avoided my questions about the Ativ Q until he realized he couldn't just hang up on me.
    I explained how I was a college student looking for a new laptop and I was interested in the AtivQ or the Book 9 Plus (although I'm not really, I thought I'd just try to get some info on that too) and I asked if they would be released before my classes started at the end of August. The FIRST thing he said was: "No, the sidesync feature will work with the S4 as well as the S3." So I told him I was calling about the release date of the Book 9plus and Ativ Q and he said, "we've received no further information from Samsung about the Book 9Plus, can I help you with anything else today?" So I once again said, "The Ativ Q, announced back in June, is it cancelled?" After a minute or so pause he said, "Oh, yes, the AtivQ, I didn't realize that's what you were asking about. well you probably noticed it was taken off the Ativ website, well I'm not sure if that's because it's cancelled or not." (These are not our exact words, but you can all understand what was generally said in the conversation)
    It was impossible to talk to this guy; he had no clue what was going on...at all. So unlike the online live chat, where the representatives are supposedly less informed, that promised the Q was not cancelled, this phone call does not have such a positive outcome. And unfortunately, I agree that the phone call is the source to be trusted more.
    I might call back to get a different person later, but I don't think even the most informed and knowledgeable rep could tell me the news I want to hear and I don't think I'm going to be able to wait any longer.. :(

7. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

I think we should all post every day on the Samsung Notebook Facebook page asking for the status of the ATIV Q. They will have to say something sooner or later as at the least it would be embarrassing for them to leave all those inquiries unanswered for an extended period of time.

If the Q is not coming out with 8GB of RAM I want to hurry up and get a Duo 13 so I can have a tablet PC. Amazon has started to discount both versions of the Duo 13 and the 4GB version sometimes comes down to just about $1,000 and the 8GB version comes down to about $1600. I want to buy one if there's no point in waiting for the Q. Samsung totally screwed up the specs of the "higher end" K03 model by only giving you a larger hard drive for extra $. With the Duo 13, you get 8GB of RAM along with an upgrade to i7 and 256 SSD. Maybe they are retooling the Q to offer better specs for the higher-end trim level. Before the Q was taken down, I noticed unlike their other laptops, they stopped stating in specs that it only came with 4GB of RAM so maybe they realized it is important to have a higher end model that is competitive with the Duo 13.

Please feel free to post often on the Samsung Notebook Facebook page asking about the status of the Q. They will have to answer sooner or later and I am sure we would all like to know so we can make our purchasing decisions.

https://www.facebook.com/Samsungnotebook

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. cw2013

cw2013 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well for me it seems that the guy at the phone just had no information and did not want to say something wrong.What speaks to me against cancellation is that there are more and more German dealers offering the Q with a delivery time of one week. At least they should be among the first ones to know in case it is not coming.
    So to me it looks like the Q will hit Germany next week and the Samsung marketing guys are preparing the official launch just in a different way we expected.

9. martisa

martisa Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.