Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried their tech reps through chat a couple days ago and the rep said the tech has absolutely no info at all on upcoming product availability, that's why she gave me a phone number for the sales team which could provide some info, called them up yesterday and guy was too dumb said he didn't know about such item and that he had no info. Unless someone else is willing to give them a call too to see if they can dig something up, we're pretty much stuck with waiting.

1-855-726-8721 9am – 9pm ET* just in case someone does feel like putting some pressure on them too.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

oh so you tap the App in Android and then you can move it to "pin it to desktop"? And that's it? Oh wait? No? I think you are misunderstanding the word "classy". There is always a crappy solution. Now please go with your BlueStacks and leave us alone. There are some guys like me who can actually see the advantages of the DUAL OS vs BlueStacks. It's not even full android emulated, it's just an app store. You can't compare them. It's like saying Windows 8 and Android are the same because they both have an app store. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, I found him on Twitter and sent a message a couple weeks ago but no response. Doesn't look like he's too active on it at all.. Nonetheless, his handle is @Rekkit13

Maybe we should all pay him a call out :)

4. martisa

martisa Pen Pal - Newbie

No need to reply neither to your tone nor to what you actually say. You already disqualify enough yourself.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  5. cw2013

cw2013 Pen Pal - Newbie

This morning I got an answer from the German Samsung Customer Support Center. They say that until now they do not have any information about the exact release date. Regarding new products the dealers are informed earlier. Therefore I should contanct computeruniverse.net. Acoording to the website they are saying they removed the data due to maintenance work and the data will be back soon. I do not have the impression that they are informed or allowed to say what is really going on. But it does not really look like cancellation...

6. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

I also tried to contact the Samsung support in Germany, but they couldn't tell me anything. They didn't even have a clue what the Samsung Ativ Q is and had to "inform theirselves for a short moment", 20 seconds later "sorry we don't have any information right now"...

by the way:

adorama.com now accepts preorder again:

http://www.adorama.com/SSG980Q3GK01.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. cw2013

cw2013 Pen Pal - Newbie

Surprise! In Amazon Germany there is the first review by somebody who has a test device from Samsung:
    Amazon.de: Kundenrezensionen: Samsung 980Q3G K03 ATIV Q 33,8 cm (13,3 Zoll) NoteBook (Intel Core i5-4200U, 1,6GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 4400, Win 8 Pro) Mineral Ash Black

I tried my very best to do an English translation for you:

Dear indecisive review readers,

in the following I will try to sum up the pros and cons of this product as good as possible.

As background information - there are two versions of the Ativ Book Q -namely the K01 and K03. Both have 4GB DDR3L RAM with 1600mhz and they only differ in their SSD capacity from 128gb and 256gb. So with a micro SD there is a maximum of 320gb internally possible. Here is the structure of my review:

(1) buying reason
    (2) manufacture quality and measurements
    (3) connections/equipment
    (4) display
    (5) usability
    (6) battery runtime
    (7) DUAL OS
    (8) speakers/sound quality
    (9) performance/games-benchmark/temperature
    (10) daily usage/suitability for daily usage
    (11) conclusion

Of course all categories of the test are structured in subitems. But I do not enlist them here for sake of clarity.

(1) Buying reason:
    I was looking for a device that is primarily suitable for my school/study. Additionally it should be usable in as many everyday situations as possible and provide a good battery runtime, so to speak it should be an all-rounder. So Windows was obligatory. This already excluded many devices due to hardware, software or form factor reasons. There just remained the Vaio Duo 13 and the Samsung Ativ Q. I was jut able to test the Duo 13 in a market, but I decided against it immediately because of the following 4 points: bad digitizer (it causes annoying noise at touchdown that would disturb other students next to me), furthermore it is relatively thick and it just has two modes, notebook and tablet.
    Additionaly the hinge is bad in the notebook mode, if I would lie my feet higher on the couch then the display would fall down. All this points make the Ativ Q better as you can also see in videos. It has a Wacom digitizer which was already in the Note 10.1 absolutely convincing, it is very thin for a notebook (13.9 mm high) and relatively light (1.29kg). Additionally Samsung came up with the idea to put all the hardware into the hinge, the battery is in the keyboard and the display is just a display and wafer-thin. Therefore you can operate/turn the Ativ Q and the display very flexible. The 4 main modes are tablet, notebook, hoovering and presentation. That's it for now because I still want to keep something for the point "usability" ;-)

(2) Let's have a look at manufacture quality and measurements. The Ativ Q comes with a 13.3 inch display and its kept compact with its 327.0 x 217.8 x 13.9mm, but not too compact. Despite of most software recognizing the ball of thumb, it is nice to be able from time to time to rest ones hand or forearm on the side of the tablet without touching the screen immediately. My device is manufactured well, the hinge makes a high quality and not a cheap impression, all in all is the optical impression in this price class very satifying for me, but a wow-effect was missing.

(3) The Ativ Q comes with a lot of connections, but one thing right at the beginning: they did not think future-proof. In tablet mode there are 1xUSB 2.0, 3.5mm ear-phone/microfon combination, LAN connection via an optional adapter (that is included in the shipment!), a 720p HD webcam, stereo speakers (1.5W x 2), Intel Wireless-N 7260AN (802.11 abg/n), and Bluetooth 4.0. In the other 3 modes there are additionally a type D MicroHDMI connection, a USB 3.0 port and a MicroSD Card Slot. The processor is a i5-4200u with a HD4400 graphic unit.
    For me personally not bad, but wothy of mention are the following points: There is no rear camera, in the the tabletmode there are not all ports accessible and the device is not future-proof since ULTRA HD is not possible with MicroHDMI and it does not support Wlan 802.11 ac.

More critical to me is the following point:
    There is no 8gb RAM version of the Ativ Q. For my part I had to adopt my usage patterns since I used to have more than 50 tabs open in the browser regurlarly amd this needs a lot of RAM. It is the best if you look at the amaunt of RAM you are using during the day and to decide then whether 4gb is enough for you. Tabs can be closed but if you work with Premiere, Illustrator or similar programs and you are dependend on more RAM then you will not be happy with this device. Maybe you are asking yourself why does Samsung not come up with a 8gb RAM version in such an expensive device? Answer: The RAM is solderd on the main board, in the hinge there is not much space and at the moment it seems the costs are too high to offer an 8gb version. But I do not exclude the possiblity that there will come a 8gb RAM version some time later.

(4) The display. In contrary to the RAM Samsung here uses abolute hiht end. The display has an incredible resolution of 3200x1800 (16:9 format), with 275ppi, to give an comparison: the Samsung Galays S3 has 306ppi, but is it as great as it sounds? To make it short and crisp: Yes, reading texts is a pleasure (as I remarked already my tablet before was a Note 10.1 with 149ppi), Youtube videos in 4k are, without lying, the best that I have ever experienced on a display (here I recommend the following video: Assassin's Creed 4 Meets Parkour in Real Life - Comic-Con - 4K on youtube). But how is this high resolution
    performing under Windows? Samsung really did choose a bad release date for the Ativ Q, Windows 81. is coming soon adnt the first charges are coming with Windows 8.0 by default, but certainly the next ones soon come directly with 8.1. For now I just downloaded the Windows 8.1 Release Preview and will report to you with this one being very close to the "real" 8.1 already. We look at the usability in the next point. There is one more thing I want to say about the display, Samsung is offering a special display mode, that activates itself automatically, when it is in direct sulight. And really: In the contrary to my Galaxy S4 the Ativ Q is distinctly better to read in direct sunlight, it is possible to work without
    causing eye stress.

(5) Usability:
    The Ativ Q is usable with the delivered integrated S-Pen, the finger and the optical track point which is placed in the middle of the keyboard. Of course it is possible to use an external mouse via the USB port. At full resolution of 3200x1800 everthing is very tiny, so I get all out of Windows 8.1 that is possible by right-clicking on "Test and increase or decrease more elements" and scaling to 200%. Uh, much better, now everything is bigger. But there is still one crux: not every software is touch optimized including such popular software like Chome. With big fingers you will run into problems from time to time - but there is the S-Pen and it is not for nothing, with this I am hitting all very precisely and since it is integrated in the device I am happy to accept this in favor of the brilliant crisp resolution. Apart from that according to my experience Samsung delivers with the Wacom digitizer the best one on the market today. An artist will appreciate even more the support of the Windows drivers for 1024 pressure levels. For me this is very important as well because I am using the Ativ Q quasi as a digital notebook for school/study. The included S-Note app by Samsung is fine for me like the one on the Note 10.1 (it even offers the formula support by Wolfram) and in a special mode it is able to recognize forms e.g. it transforms a painted circle into a perfect circle. The optical track point serves one's turn as good as possible according to its size but I always would prefer an external mouse over it. But you can not see this a point of criticism because a big trackpad would have made the device made bigger as needed. Honestly, regarding the keyboard I do not have a good comparism, but I am able to type with a speed of 440 per minute (according to the 10fastfingers.com test) without problems, the pressure points are good, all in all the keyboard is satisfying for this price.

(6) Since I do not have the device very long yet, I am not able to do exact statements but 7,5-8 hours browsing and watching movies with a light intensitiy of 60% is possible. For me this is a good value made possible by the new Haswell processors.

(7) Let us come to DUAL OS. Samsung has developed their own virtual machine for Windows which runs Android (4.1 without Tochwiz).DUAL OS always needs about 20 seconds for the first start and then, after one time starting, it is possible to switch between the operating systems by using the windows key. Additionaly there is the possibilty to pin Android Apps in Windows and to start them from the desktop or the Metro interface. Everybody can make his own mind whether Android is useful or not, but it offers a huge diversity of apps anyway (even if not all are optimized for tablets). But how is RAM magagement and allocation working? For this Samsung created the „Dual OS Configuration Tool“. There I can adjust how much RAM Android (max 1,5gb) and how much RAM Windows is allowed to take. I recommend 3,25gb for Windows and 0,75gb for Android (Android has a much more economical RAM management). With this I had the best results in multitasking without having any jerking or other problems. Additionally I can choose in the tool folders which shall be shared by both systems (e.g. if you make a picture with the webcam in Windows then you can see it in the gallery of Android as well). By the way there are 16gb memory reserved for Android. If you are not interested in Android at all, then you do not have to start DUAL OS and then you have the full 4 GB RAM for Windows.

(8) Honestly I do not have a big comparism, the speakers are louder than the ones of my S4 and sound a little bit better. Bass is not really there like always. All in all the Ativ Q does not require hiding from sight but there was no wow effect.

(9) Regarding the overall performance: There is no jerking visable, waiting times caused by the SSD are very short. Honestly the gaming performance suprised me. E.g. Fifa 13 can be played fluently with middle-rate settings using 3200x1800 and30-40 fps, Counterstrike GO fluently with middle-rate settings using 3200x1800. The tablet is mastering games that are more graphicalls more ambitious like Crysis 3 just straight fluently using 26-30fps and low-rate settings with 1600x900. Battlefield 3 is possible as well with low-level settings.
    In conclusion regarding game-suitability there is to say that actually you can play every game fluently, if you are ready to make trade-offs in the settings (who plays 40fps+ even in Battlefield 3 has to reduce the resolution more)

The topic temperature while playing must not be absent. In the hinge of the Ativ Q there is a little ventilator, which blows the air out through ventilation slot of the hinge, so there is a 100% active cooling in the notebook, presentation and floating modes. this looks a little bit different in the tablet mode, there, after leaving the hinge, the warm air disperses on the downside of the tablet and there are ventilations slots as well which lead in new air and let out warm air, so this is quasi and active/passive cooling. In tablet mode the tablet gets some more warm if you toucht the display but not uncomfortably. The turbo mode is not being limited in the tablet mode.

(10) Since my review is so long aready I will keep this point more short. I am always getting over the whole day with the convertible without having to use the plug socket even if I am using it a lot, I can play games anytime I like, the screen can always be positioned as I want it to, on the couch more parallel to the keyboard (since legs are up), while writing put it in notebook mode, for watching a movie, put it in presentation mode in fron of you watching it on the sharp 13,3 inch display etc. All this is just possible because Samsung relocated the weight into the hinge and the keyboard and thus the display is lite as a feather and freely adjustable. All in all one can really say that in everyday life the Ativ Q is an all-rounder.

(11) As a conlusion I just sum up again the things I see positive and negative that a buyer should consider:

+ neat and flawless manufactured (at least my device)
    + elegant solution of the convertible principle, I do never have to carry an external dockable keyboard with me
    + high resolution display that can be read clearly in direct sunlight
    + diesplay freely adjustable and thus very practicable
    + compact dimensions, just 1,29 kg
    + brilliant digitizer with S-Pen
    + batter alway lasts a whole day
    + all standard connections are there
    + DUAL OS (Windows + Android without Touchwiz)
    + no heat problems, also in tablet mode
    O gaming performance is enough for all games with reduced graphical settings
    O not all ports are accessible in tablet mode
    O optical track point is something to get used to, but because of the size of the chassis there is no other solution
    O keyboard has comfortable pressure points, the the price the keyboard is o.k. but it is not outstanding
    O in the highes resolution not touch-optimized software is just usable with S-Pen
    - no SD Slot (256gb possible), but only Micro-SD available (64gb possible)
    - just one USB 3.0 port
    - 4GB RAM (for my needs enough)
    - connections (wlan, micro-hdmi equipment) not future-proof (fast ac wlan/4k speed)

Whether the high price is worthwile or not everybode must decide for himself. For me, looking for a device with a good digitizer for study, good battery runtime, full Windows and managing to be a elegant solution between tablet and notebook, every cent was wortwhile and I can recomment the device to people with a similar usage profile.

This review will be updated in case there will be new insights while using teh device longer. I hope I could help you with this detailed review in making your byuing decision

Best regards,

Maximilian Öttl

Regarding Availability:

I got the devive via a friend who has connections to Samsung for 4 weeks for testing. As soon as it is being released I will buy it at Amazon, then there should be shown "amazon Verified Purchase" above my review. If this is not possible subsequently, I am sorry for that.
    The Samsung Ativ Q will be released in August (at least it is planned to do so), presumably around August 20th. In Germany for now is just sure that there will be the K03 version, the K01 version will come in Austria for sure. I do not have more information on that, neither whether there will be a K01 version in Germany. The prices in Germany for the K03 version will even out at about 1500 EUR at the beginning.

8. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

?First off been lurking but decided to start to contribute.... :hi2:

I spoke to Adorama this morning and they say they expect them in on Aug 22. At least as that is what they have been told from Sammy... I have dealt with adorama in the past on many purchases and they seem to be the most reliable on this type of pre-info. BUT there is always a first time to be wrong.

9. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for your translation :thumbsup:

Indeed much much better than Google translate.

Much Appreciated :)

Edit:

After reading the review (hats off to the reviewer. Well done!) it´s pretty much what i was expecting.

For my needs
    the 4 gig ram was never a deal breaker since i never had the feeling of needing more ram in my Asus EP121 which i´m going to replace with the ATIV Q.

Funny that by coincidence i plan to use the ATIV (well more or less) in the same way that the reviewer.

True that i would have preferred 8 gig ram but much more important for me is the quality of the display (with a PPI of 275 even the tiniest letters become readable.
    Somewhat like putting a sheet of glass over printed paper, which is great) and the wacom digitalizer for my work is a must.

Pd: I hate my ASUS EP121 ;)

Best Regards

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. samnish

samnish Pen Pal - Newbie

Signed up just to thank you! Thank you very much for the thorough translation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.