Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

Being limited to 4GB of RAM would kill this for me with the ATIV Q and might be a deal breaker. I work on way too many applications at the same time and 4GB is going to ruin the experience, especially for what is likely an expensive device.

I have a bad feeling the RAM is going to be soldered or otherwise I'd gladly open it and replace the RAM.

2. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

I would have to agree. if it doesn't go to at the minimum of 8 (especially if you can't upgrade it) that it's a no go for me. I may have to wait to see what the haswell 902 or whatever is going to be.

3. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

4. francanna

francanna Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a news based on a shop that puts it in preorder. Value: zero

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 con Tapatalk 2

5. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

That's the same model I saw earlier advertized. As much as I like the Q, I can't justify spending $1,500-$2,000 if this ships with an absolutely retarded 4GB of RAM. 8GB or more and I'd pay whatever they want for this.

6. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

They might wise up over time and release a 8 gig option. Or perhaps there will be a way to DIY the thing open and slap a 8 gig stick in.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

DYI option is doubtful. All the RAM would be soldered on.

The problem seems to be that the size of the mobo is very small compared to other W8 X86/64 tablets. It's all in the hinge area. That probably means they can only use 4 RAM chips per side, and I'm not even sure they can use both sides...

9. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

If they can fit an 4GB chip in a modern motherboard it should be able to take an 8GB chip. I feel if Samsung actually releases this with only 4GB of RAM they are really getting the target audience of this laptop wrong. People who are going to pay $1,500+ for a new design are business users and power users. Both would have a hard time justifying the cost of this laptop if it ships with only 4GB of RAM as it will severely limit multitasking. What good is that 3200X1800 display if you can't run a bunch of applications on it? I'm surprised we even have to discuss this but the fact that every model I've seen lists only 4GB of RAM really concerns me.

It's unlike Samsung to screw up such a significant aspect of the specs for what is likely an expensive device.

10. dcbCreative

dcbCreative Here for cookies.

Honestly... ...Though a little disappointed, I'd still purchase an Samsung ATIV Q even if it only had 4gb of RAM. Right now, at work, I'm using a MacBook Pro with just 4gb of RAM and it handles my typical projects pretty well. Of course, at home, I have an ASUS G75 with 16gb of RAM which I use for my atypical projects. So for me, the Samsung ATIV Q will be a auxiliary machine to utilize for creativity when out and about, or in but on the couch. Sketching, drawing, painting, and perhaps preliminary sculpting; after that, when the project needs to be detailed or just simply rendered in a reasonable amount of time I'll transfer it to the ASUS G75 (Which also has 3gb of dedicated vRAM) for completion. So I got a plan, all Samsung needs to do is release this tablet in a reasonable time frame with an equally reasonable base price; $1400.00 would be very reasonable if compared to the Samsung ATIV 700 Smart PC Pro its likely replacing on the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.