Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. francanna

francanna Pen Pal - Newbie

My concern is similar but a bit different: as Android is non-native here and run under windows with a high level of system customization by Samsung, how will it be possible to manage SYSTEM UPDATES? Sure we will get no "windows store" for this... I mean, one would not able to upgrade to Android 4.3 unless Samsung provides it as it were an "app" update?

2. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

Im with you about the hardware specs, I want badly this device but I will not buy it if they don't offer an i7, with 8gb of ram and 256gb of hd.

And the thing is that if we look at the similar devices of samsung, they never offer upgrades or different hardware, they launch a device with closed specs, so I want it but I think that I will end with the duo 13 because of that.

3. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree completely! I was on the Samsung Web site myself and I was surprised they offer their laptops with few if any customization options.

It would be monumentally idiotic for Samsung to offer this without an option to get it with 8GB RAM. It is a premium device that will appeal to power users and they can sell quite a few of these but I hope they don't release this with retarded specs and I too end up having to get a Duo 13 despite the high resolution display I like so much with the ATIV Q.

I just can't imagine them releasing the highest resolution notebook you can buy but hobble it with less RAM. Can they be that clueless?

4. MadSquabbles

MadSquabbles Pen Pal - Newbie

they gotta leave you wanting something next year:thumbsup:

5. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

Not going to happen. Asus or someone else will come up with a design just as compelling. In fact if the Sony Vaio Duo 13 had the 3200X1800 display I probably would have just bought that instead as I prefer the Duo 13 keyboard since it has actual dedicated function keys (Not sure how I'd do Alt + F4 on this ATIV Q).

The bottom line is if Samsung releases this with no other option than paltry 4GB of RAM a bunch of people including myself will not bother buying it. Lets face it, this is a bit of an unusual design and this is going to appeal more to early adopters and power users and the 4GB RAM will turn off most of them, especially if this ends up being priced around or over $1,500. You can buy a cheap Netbook class Ultra book with 4GB of RAM these days for $500 so Samsung selling this with only 4GB RAM would make no sense and likely turn off the target audience of this device.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  6. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Most laptops lacking dedicated Fn keys have an Fn lock feature which will give you those dedicated Fn keys back. The Surface Pro one wasn't advertised or explained at all, but I heard about it from somebody on the forums and it saved my life.

7. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

A German retailer has this on sale for preorder! What a shame that it is sold with only 4 GB of RAM...

What is wrong with Samsung to create such a great device and then hobble it with 4 GB of RAM as if this was a $450 Netbook? I need this with 8 GB of RAM and I'd pay extra for it. How can they create such a great device and then screw it up with only 4 GB of RAM? I'd pay a few hundred $ extra for the extra RAM as I run a dozen or so applications at the same time and need the extra RAM.

I hope when it is released in the US there will be a version with more RAM...

| Samsung ATIV Q 980Q3G K01 | ARLT Computer

8. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking at the Samsung website in the store they offer other options for ATIV professional level products. I would bet they would have some with 256 ram and 8gb memory. would love 16gb or at least the ability to upgrade to that later. I mean even for their lower level products they have at least 2 options.

I have a Fujitsu T900. It's over 3 years old and I was thinking of getting a new machine at some point. I was thinking of the 902 because that was the only machine that had a 13" screen and it seemed pretty good.

I have a samsung note 10.1 as well. And when I saw the Q I was optimistic. I do like Samsung's build and extra features they have. The idea of having it be my tablet works for me. if I want something small, I have a phone. But if I want to read, I like having a larger screen. So I'm waiting to see what comes out.

9. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

I hope you are right. The Samsung ATIV models I looked at on their Web site offer very limited customization if any and I keep seeing the ATIV Q with a measly 4GB of RAM. They need to offer this with an option to pay more for better specs. Otherwise it would be like buying a Mercedes AMG with the speed limited to 60 MPH.

10. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

the way I see it is the more they have invested in the machine the more "models" they have. the note 10.1 had two 16gb and one 32gb. the laptops had a few options there, mostly just a 256 or 128gb hard drive or perhaps more ram. This machine has the intel haswell processor. I guess it depends if they're going to dip their toe in the water or make a splash. the ativ pro didn't have too many options. So I say, make a buzz. maybe they'll listen.

now I've also upgraded my own stuff, so I could always upgrade the drive. the question is, how much ram can it handle and is it soldiered to the board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.