Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

It's getting more and more common....

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

8.1 changes scaling options a little bit. I'd be shocked if it does anything other than pixel doubling (out of the box) on the Ativ Q, which would give you the exact same size UI elements, as it would be an effective resolution of 1600x900 as well.

3. francanna

francanna Pen Pal - Newbie

As for the LACK of a SIM Slot for 3g connection, I have sent a tweet to Samsung. Here is the reply

@SamsungNotebook Will Ativ Q have a 3g sim slot like Vaio Duo 13? IT would be a great feature for a premium product like this

@franco_canna Hi Franco, and thanks for your feedback. Further details about ATIV Q will be released in due course, stay tuned!

So, it is better not to argue further until final real-market specs are released

4. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

This thing is so dumb it's actually upsetting. 1080p screens are barely reliable in desktop mode as it is. Instead of taking a more sensible approach they flip the f*** out and give us this mess of screen that can only negatively imact system resources, not to mention screw over legacy programs and just about anything else in desktop mode.

So uh.. yeah. Enjoy your microsoft and android apps whoever the target demo for this thing is. It definitely isn't for me or anyone I know.

6. MadSquabbles

MadSquabbles Pen Pal - Newbie

it's definitely for me. i use both android and win tabs. being able to consolidate them into one good tablet would be great for me. i do agree with the high res marketing crap. since this isn't like crt pixel doubling looks terrible when you switch to a lower res. i used to be able to make my video cards last a few months longer by lowering my resolution and keep decent frame rates in games.

7. paul.p

paul.p Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm definitely in as well, as long as I can get a better processor and more RAM. I've been holding off on buying another android/ios tablet for a while hoping that a manufacturer would finally combine a complete OS with a tablet OS (other than the Windows 8 app ecosystem). Samsung is the first to do it with a Wacom pen, which is a must. I would actually prefer the Sony Duo 13 but it has neither Wacom nor Android.

I'm just really hoping I can get the haswell i7-4650 with HD5000 as well as the increased RAM on the Q. If that doesn't happen then I'll just keep waiting. Now that Samsung has opened the doors I'm sure other similar hybrids will follow.

8. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

I hate to say this but the ultra high resolution display is the primary reason why I canceled my Vaio Duo 13 order and decided to wait for the ATIV Q. What do you mean 1080P screens are barely reliable in desktop mode? I've been using 2560X1600 displays for over 7 years and when I do software development or work on large spreadsheets I find the 1080P displays to be really annoying to work on.

Granted the higher resolution displays are not for everyone but don't think there is no market for them or people don't want them. I can't wait to have a high resolution display on my laptop and I am sick of retarded laptop screen resolutions available until now.

I also highly doubt this is going to impact system performance in any significant way. My Nexus 10 tablet is only 10 inches and it has a 2560X1600 display and I get great battery life and it is very useable.

I'd pay whatever Samsung wants for this because of the ultra high resolution display but I just hope they have a model with 8GB of RAM and >= 250 GB SSD. The only way I will not buy this is if it is only offered with 4 GB of RAM.

9. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

It is great that the ATIV Q runs Windows AND Android but what does that mean as far as Android notifications are concerned? Can you set the volume levels differently for Windows and Android? If you set an alarm on Android and turn off the tablet, will it wake up at the the time set with the alarm buzzer? What if you are on Windows when the alarm time comes up? Will Android be frozen in time or running in the background as you are working on Windows?

10. Tab Rocker

Tab Rocker Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm all for higher resolution. I doubt the higher resolution will slow this thing down. Images will look stunning and you can fit more stuff on the desktop. I have no issues with being able to have all my menus available in Photoshop and still have room to work. Give it 8 megs and take my friggin money. My T902 suddenly feels dated...I hate it when that happens.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.