Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

BurntOrngeLonghorn84, you, building Android and being familiar with such issues, should know better than to feed the animals..

Anyway, while I too am disappointed by the anticipated lack of 8GB/256GB, for me, the greatest shortcoming of the Q is the lack of video output while in tablet mode. When the display is collapsed against the keyboard, the hdmi-out port appears to be physically inaccessible.

I would like to be able to comfortably write notes with the display collapsed while outputting video for projection during lectures but this does not seem possible. I suspect this issue could limit adoption of the Q in academia and similar venues.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

*sigh*

You're right. I'll go back to my hole now so I don't throw the thread off topic.

3. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed, the ATIV Q is amazing but it has a lot flaws, and seems like the more I try to land to the fact I might buy it either way the more I feel like I'm making a wrong choice, there's too many wrong things with it that I no longer feel like I want it.

4. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I have to agree. I'm actually surprised that my opinion has changed. When I first saw this announced I said to myself "SOLD!". Although I'm going to wait until it comes out and test it a bit in person, I doubt I will get the first iteration. I imagined myself drawing on it today and the lag it would have. Also for around the same price I can get a refurbished retina macbook pro 15" with I7 256gb, 8GB of ram, 1gb dedicated graphics etc... I know what you're thinking, that it doesn't have wacom. Well, I'm planning on coding next semester and the ativ just doesn't have enough power to really get anything done. A big deal breaker is the 4200 graphics.. not even the 5000? Come on. So I'm going to wait a month or two for the release of this and the new MacBook pros to make my decision. It's just unfortunate it has so many mouth watering qualities yet misses the mark.

5. Philthy82

Philthy82 Pen Pal - Newbie

We really need some actual news to mix into the speculation and pronouncements of sink or swim that make up this thread. Just the statement "I imagined myself drawing on it today and the lag it would have" says it all. You could make up your mind based on what you imagine the device will be like, or you could, I don't know, wait for actual reviews and a chance to try it out in store?

6. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

It has 4400 not 4200. If you can't appreciate the pros of the Ativ Q, which is the different position modes like floating, presentation mode, tablet, notebook, the amazing resolution combined with the wacom digitizer + the big screen for drawing, you will have a bad time

To make it short : if you don't write or draw on the Ativ Q I don't see any reason why you would buy it. If you want power for work and maybe a crappy digitizer for fun go for the Sony Vaio Duo 13. It has better hardware specs so it is better for power work.

The Android + Windows is a nice to have, but not a must-have, so in the end it's all about your personal usage and requirements for a device.

For me studying the ATIV Q is a dream device. Those 13.3 inch combined with S-Pen in lectures.... Dayummm

7. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Funny, because I'm going to change my 15" rMPB for ativ q :)

I've tried my laptop in windows 8.1 with 4 gigs of ram out of 8 eaten by memory test software and wasn't able to produce any noticeable lag. I opened PS and AI with several 200mb files, sketchbook pro and several metro apps including IE with several tabs and tried to work on it for about an hour. Everything went smooth.

I guess SSD is making a big difference here. And about HD4400 - it seems to be good enough for casual gaming. It also seems that there is almost no difference between HD4400 and HD5000 in terms of performance. Notebookcheck.net did the comparison:

Vaio duo with HD4400: Low med high ultra
    BioShock Infinite (2013) 39 20.6 17.7 4.8
    Tomb Raider (2013) 55.6 27.5 17.6
    Hitman: Absolution (2012) 19.8 13.6

13" MBA with HD5000:
    BioShock Infinite (2013) 38.3 22.5 18.2 7.7
    Tomb Raider (2013) 52.5 28.6 17.4 9.5
    Hitman: Absolution (2012) 22.3 15.7 7.3

8. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd suggest doing your test with 2GB free, or at most 2.5GB. As far as I can tell from what's available so far, Android will take at least 1.5GB, and the GPU will take some as well. I haven't seen that the Android VM can be turned off, so, seeing how your notebook works with 2GB will probably give you a better idea of how the ATIV Q will work for you.

And yes, I think the SSD does make a big difference. In my own 2GB test (using a VM), I've found performance for my own use case to be just fine. Yours seems a little more intense, however.

9. Philthy82

Philthy82 Pen Pal - Newbie

As Android runs in a VM it can be turned off, and the video demos shown so far indicate it won't boot until you launch it for the first time after each system boot. It will use a maximum of 1.5GB RAM, you can reduced this or even uninstall the VM altogether. So if you have concerns about RAM and don't need Android, think of it as a 4GB machine.

10. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, yes, you're right, I was thinking of the slider screenshot I saw backwards. Thanks for straightening that out.

I didn't know the VM was optional, that's good news. As was mentioned earlier, though, it would be great to get more specifics from Samsung.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.