Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

No worries guys, apparently all of us who are bringing all the info about the ATIV Q here on this forum we are much better than the guys at Samsung, cause seriously we've gathered lots of info that Samsung themselves can't just even let out. They should hire us for PR lol.

2. JPoole

JPoole Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I have been watching this thread for the past few days and decided it was time to contribute. I am set on getting this, I have been holding off on a tablet until someone got it right, and I think this is the one (despite all the RAMageddon talk :) )

I saw a comment on the SamsungNotebook Facebook page saying that Adorama had the device for sale, so I sent an email to the Adorama sales team early last week asking about availability. A rep told me "Per the estimates from the manufacturer, the item should be available after 07/31/13". I then saw a demo with a Samsung rep who said "end of July" which gave me more confidence in the date, though there were a couple of other details in the video that were inconsistent with what we have heard from other sources. (last few seconds for date)------> Samsung ATIV Book Q First Look - Windows Running Android! - YouTube

I went ahead and placed a pre-order with Adorama figuring at least I would have an order placed but could cancel it if I found a better option. (like Amazon w/ no tax)

As has been noted here, Adorama has since made the ATIV Q no longer available. I have not received any notification from them that there is a problem with my order, but I did send an email to that sales rep asking what is going on. I also plan on calling the customer service team to ask about my order on Monday, so I will let you know what they say.

I am guessing either Adorama had too many orders, they had jumped the gun on posting it and Samsung asked them to take it off, or they messed up the listing. I found it odd that the "no longer available" screen tells you to look at a "similar item", which is the ATIV Book 9 Plus, and it is listed at same price they had for the Q. It does have very similar specs but I wouldn't expect them to cost the same.

It could be a hardware or software issue as some are suggesting, but you would think it is something pretty catastrophic for that to happen this late. I expect that they have tons of them ready to ship at this point in order to make the release date.

Thanks to everyone posting good information.

3. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the video link.

The man hasn't really got a clue about the Ativ Q I guess haha. When the interviewer asked whether you can run Android apps on Windows or not he said something about the virtual machine and that they use the same processor (he was right with that), however he could have mentioned that you can pin the Android apps into Metro/Desktop and start the Android App in Windows, then automatically switching to Android and starting the apps.

Talking about release date everything points to ~20th August however there are some irregularities

1) your Video

2) Samsung Notebook page constantly talking about taking the Ativ Q to your holidays, however many people have holidays since 1st August

3) M&M Computer - Gut und Günstig Online Kaufen!

http://www.technikbilliger.de/catalog/product/view/id/70621?ref=agyc

Two sites which have the 256gb Version for 1590/1605€ and one says "available within 3 to 7 days" and the other one with "available".

I'll contact those shops from 3) on Monday asking whether these data is right or not.

(to admin: delete the shop links if necessary)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. Dajackal

Dajackal Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I also saw that Adorama had it available and actually ordered it July 8th figuring that it might sell out fast. Since then I have called them and also sent an email to customer service.

Both times I received the response that it would be available the last week of July which concurs with what you see. This was after they had initially given me a date of July 22nd.

At this point if it does ship the last week fine. I am still taking all dates with a grain of salt. I remember all too well going through the same thing when buying the Asus transformer prime.

My take on it ? It gets here when it gets here.

5. MikeOx

I wouldn't trust Adorama that much, when I tried to contact them they just said that is the price, they didn't say it was a place holder which I'm pretty sure it was, otherwise the item would still be available, so not really trustworthy.

6. Dajackal

Dajackal Pen Pal - Newbie

It could also be that they sold out of a limited number of orders. Just no way to know in these things.

7. wiidesire-2

I talked to the shops now and they removed the data, because it wasn't right.

edit:

New Video of the Ativ Q (10 minutes long):

Samsung ATIV Q Windows 8 Convertible Ultrabook First Look - YouTube

So in this video it says that

• the CPU goes up to 2.6 ghz and not 2.3ghz as in the review in the PhoneArena Review. PhoneArena said they can't do any benchmarks, because Samsung told them not to do so, this may explain why, it was still not a final product.
    • the Ativ Q is equipped with Gorilla Glas, however they still recommend to have an bag or something for transportation.
    • Samsung produces it's own batteries and they have a unique battery technology so the battery will last after 3-4 years still 70% of the first day, where other batteries are at 20%
    • 1499 $ for the 128gb Version at launch ( Canada)
    • Worldwide launch at end of July, Canada within the first days of August

edit 2:

the article is also up now:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-ativ-q-ultrabook-preview-review,23619.html

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  8. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi widesire-2

Thanks so much for your updates and all the information you're providing regarding the ATIV Q. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

This seems like the perfect replacement for my dying (battery dead + some annoying random freezes) Asus ep121 tablet.

What i like most is the amazing resolution. In the past every time i looked to my Ipad i thought "oh dear, wish there was a bigger tablet PC running full windows, wacom enabled and with this pixel density", so my "prayers" have been heard (and some, since the ATIV has even greater pixel density than the Ipad :eek:)

Again BIG THANKS widesire-2

Best Regards

9. wiidesire-2

by the way:

in the article Alex Davies said:

However this only counts for the first charges and those will get a free 8.1 update. The next charges will be shipped with 8.1 automatically :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  10. MikeOx

Thanks for sharing, and let's hope they have their info wrong because $1500 is too expensive for a 4gb machine, at that price I can buy a sub $1000 quite power capable laptop + the new second 2nd gen Nexus for $269 whose specs are not bad at all. And I'm also doubtful of their information (even if they're from Samsung, after all the official Samsung Notebook posted it will come with Android 4.1 and the reviews are proving otherwise with 4.2.2) because no way the ATIV Q will see a release date before August worldwide, they would have announced it already like they did the ATIV 9 Book Lite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.