Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tab Rocker

Tab Rocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, this tab looks really impressive for digital arts. 13" is the sweet spot for a portable sketch pad IMO. The S-Pen seems to work just as good as the Wacom enabled tablet's I've owned through the years.
    I just bought a T902...it's fantastic, but it's a beast. I like the idea of having a thinner lighter device like this.

I really hope they make an 8MB version or allow RAM upgrades...that may be the only deal breaker for me. I need me 8 megabytes for big Photoshop files.

2. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

Touch-flicks (navigational touch gestures) and touch-tabtip (automatically opening [and closing via TipPopper] the on screen keyboard) are still missing from Win8. This severely degrades the touch experience in Win8 and forces serious touch users back to Windows 7 which includes such touch centric features.

From a Windows perspective:
    I do not expect Samsung will attempt to fix this lack of Win8 touch support as there is no precedence from Samsung or other OEMs. I can only hope that Samsung will support the new Android-mode and auto-rotation of the display under Windows 7. (Note that it is not uncommon for auto-rotation to be broken in Windows 7. Lenovo has acknowledged the Helix's lack of auto rotation in Windows 7 and has no intention of fixing it).

Hopefully Samsung's "Touch Logon" software will also be supported as its functionality and design far exceed Win8 and Windows 7's touch logon solutions.

From an Android perspective:
    I'm also interested to see how Samsung and the ROM community will adapt to x86 Android:
    - Can we set Android to be the default boot OS?
    - Will the Android boot loader be unlocked?
    - Will CyanogenMod support the Ativ Q?
    - Does the "mouse", keyboard and stylus all work under Android?
    - Will Samsung implement Touchwiz's Mult-Window support?
    If so, can we mix Android and PC applications in touchwiz's multi-window mode?
    Or can we run Android apps in windows within Windows 7/8?

Depending on the answers to these questions I would be satisfied setting the Ativ Q's default boot to Android and using this machine as a heavy weight Android tablet which can run x86 apps: Eclipse, Mathematica, Gimp, Onenote, etc..

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

The slider design seems so flawed to me still. One fixed angle in laptop mode, and such a tiny keyboard and no trackpad as a result of using half of the surface of your computer for support. The hinge design still seems superior, but I suppose it's bulkier? Doesn't seem like it has to be... detachable still seems like if done right, makes the most sense for thin hybrids..

4. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

One reviewer has mentioned that the entire heart of the PC is located in the hinge of the device, and the battery is what's located under the keyboard. If that's true, then I marvel at the fact they could fit all th in that somewhat tiny hinge.

I think Samsung feels they have a solution for the detachable crowd in the ATIV Tab 3. I don't believe the Atom devices support HyperV though, which would be a good reason on to why they can't offer the dual OS for it.

5. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

4GB... uhg. Oh well. I don't need more gadget-lust.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's not really dual-boot. It's a Windows-based virtualization solution:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not that much different from the original Series 7 Slate board.

As shown in a post on this forum a while back, the circuit board took up only a tiny amount of space, with the rest all battery:

[​IMG]

It should be even easier to do similar with Haswell, which integrates more on chip.

8. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

There have been some interesting Haswell devices announced recently, but I don't consider this to be one of them.

Samsung ATIV Q: hands-on with the company's new Windows-Android slider (video)

It was the 'floating screen mode" in the video; where the screen is up above and you are supposed to type on the keyboard below. I almost wanted to check the calendar to see if it was April 1st and my leg was being pulled.

Oh well, if this device works for some of you - go for it!

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

The way I see it, sliders, yogas and trapezes are subsets of the convertible form-factor. To me, the Ativ Q is just another slider, but with some gimmickry.

Android will be running inside a Virtual Machine.

I never liked that form-factor. I doubt the sliding mechanism can withstand the test of time. That's made to last 2 years. I think it can only last longer if the owner rarely uses the device in "tablet mode". Sliding back-and-forth must put great stress on it. Detachables are the way to go, in my opinion. :)

10. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember the guy announcing it on stage specifically mentioning pressure sensitivity in Photoshop. Wouldn't that be something if it had working Wintab drivers right out of the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.