Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

I was going to buy an R7 when it first came out but couldn't go through with it because of the awkward touchpad placement which the touch screen is supposed to make up for but still after reading reviews most people were definitely listing that touchpad placement as a con plus the tablet mode wasn't that great since it doesn't even fold totally, but this new refresh sure sounds like a nice option but that is of course if you don't mind waiting until 2014 since it's only coming Q4 2013 to some countries but no the States.

I'm really hoping for some news about the ATIV Q at IFA but I wouldn't get my hopes too high, some of the tablets that have caught my attention are Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2 and the new Asus tablet with stylus support (ntrig? wacom?) we still don't know which one (it could also be the Pad Infinity which was announced back in Computex but with added stylus support), but if they're Android only then it's no good for me.

[​IMG]

Edit: this is unrelated but for those who were curious about the stylus support on Acer's R7, it has been confirmed to be N-trig.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

In this link there is a list of live streams of IFA press events (buying some pop corn). Samsung wednesday 19:00

Apparently this Samsung event will be focused on the Note III, a smart watch and maybe a 12.2 Android tablet, but hopefully there will be some mention to the ATIV Q (wishful thinking?)

Live streaming of the IFA press events right here - FlatpanelsHD

Fingers crossed that the ATIV Q, will finally make it (i bet it will ;)).....

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm sure it will eventually make it. It just might not be now, and not as the device we were previously shown. I don't think Samsung would just scrap all that R&D (though they have the money to). Most likely it will release a little later, maybe with 8GB RAM, and without Android integration. But thats just all speculation.

4. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

I might be mistaken, but I thought I read in one of those previously listed links in the forum that Samsung will mention the Q in a close door showing. (a non-production version, whatever that means). So to me that would mean the unpacking event will not mention the Q at all. I don't have the time right now to look for that link, maybe someone else can find it.

edit: nevermind, I found the post with the reference see here.
    TS

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. MikeOx

Best site for streaming it would be here
    Samsung Mobile - YouTube

And yes let's hope they do, they will definitely not show the ATIV Q at the Unpacked stream event which will focus on GN3 and their Smartwatch, further info on ATIV Q and Note 12.2 hopefully made available throughout the whole event.

6. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

isn't that what this thread is all about now. ;-0

7. ChrisM

ChrisM Pen Pal - Newbie

Not closed door - official at IFA, but in a state that is not ready for sale.

8. MikeOx

That would be pointless, even showing the ATIV Q and shed no info on it would also be kind of stupid since they've already unveiled the device and the specs so if it makes an appearance a release date and price should be expected.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Nice to see Acer starting to recognize the desirability of a digital pen with its hybrids. DuoSense is the next generation N-Trig hardware. I'll be interested to see how it stacks up to Wacom.

10. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking at the informal poll so far, it seems that most people that are interested in the ATIV Q outside of the Windows 8/Android hybrid folks are those who are into design. So, it seems the Wacom digitizer/pen seems to be the second most important factor. Only seems to be a few folks who responded that they're just looking for a Windows 8 hybrid and like the ATIV Q the most.

Really, I do think it bears repeating, as I think about it: that 3200X1800 screen will probably be sub-optimal for Windows 8 at this point (and Windows 8.1). Scaling in Windows just doesn't seem to be there. So if I were in the market for a Windows 8 hybrid, I'd probably look hard at a Haswell-based Yoga 11s. I'm torn on an active digitizer/pen, but could probably get over not having one.

And I meant to mention: I had a Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC with an n-Trig digitizer. It was such a piece of crap that I swore on my grandmother's grave that I'd never knowingly buy another product with n-Trig in it. So I understand those folks that like the ATIV Q because of the Wacom digitizer.

Come on, Samsung: make us happy, release this damn thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.