Samsung Ativ Q

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mhotep, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's one for you (put on your tinfoil hats): Microsoft is pushing Samsung to pay a royalty on some obscure patent that Samsung has determined they can't get around. Samsung is negotiating the royalty with Microsoft, and the remaining question becomes pricing. Did Samsung remove the ATIV Q from their marketing because the royalty that Microsoft is demanding is high enough to price the ATIV Q out of the market? Perhaps that's what we're waiting on: negotiations to finish, and then Samsung to decide if they can still sell the thing at a price that the market will bear and yet still bring them a profit.

2. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

We should also note that Samsung Electronics and MS inked a cross-licensing agreement for Android in September 2011, so the plot thickens. If they're already paying the Windows license & Android MS licensing fee, what gives? Does the Dual OS fall into a whole new agreement?

Honestly, I'd love to just buy the Ativ Q with out Android...

3. wynand32

Unfortunately, for me, Android is the real kicker. I want one machine where I can both consume media and information (Android) and be productive (Windows). If I can't have both on one device, then I might as well stick with my MacBook Air and my Nexus 10. And the ATIV Q specifically is most appealing because of the 275 PPI, which would be great for Android. The ASUS solution is stuck at 189 PPI, which isn't close to good enough.

4. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

Could be. The comment from Samsung Notebook if read carefully now makes for different interpretation other then being delayed, it also makes for it being cancelled.

'We're in the process of determining further details on the availability of the ATIV Q' wish like I just said sounds to me like it may or may not come at all.

5. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

I posted earlier in twitter that there have been 3 patents given out for dual OS capability, one to a 65 year old computer hobbyist back in 2003, one to Microsoft in 2011 and one recently to Lenovo this year, now do any of those fall into play with the Samsung delay, maybe not, but one thing is for certain, it does none of us wanting this device any good.

TS

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

7. WhatNext

WhatNext Pen Pal - Newbie

404 Not Found

The page your looking for could not be found

8. wynand32

They work for me, just with the altered path from the current listing (the addition of /ph/ativ2013/). Interesting... It means that they could very easily return the ATIV Q to the ATIV site with a simple URL swap. It's still hidden from search on the site, so maybe/probably doesn't mean anything, but it's nice to see.

On a side note, it's fun (in a masochistic sort of way) to flip back and forth from the current ATIV site to the old one, just to see the ATIV Book 9 Plus replace the ATIV Q on the guy's lap.

9. Philthy82

Philthy82 Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Philthy82

Philthy82 Pen Pal - Newbie

Make sure you're not loading the mobile site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.