Samsung Ativ Q: the new king ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r11, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey, if it had been 3800x1800, you'd have been totally right, better than screwing up the math imo. ;) A tablet even wider than 16:9 would have been insanely stupid, I think most of us will agree on that. Just imagine the thing in portrait mode. :eek: Toshiba did make a 21:9 notebook which shows OEMs can be crazy so I expect we'll see one eventually and the utter fail that will come with it.

2. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

As a current Ativ owner and newbie to the tablet PC world I weep at the thought of this being the new norm. As much as I love the Ativ it's far from perfect, and with the advancement of technology I was hoping for the next one in line to address current issues. And it has! The problem now is that they are using a screen that introduces many more problems than it solves. It doesn't matter what new technology they are introducing here... the fact of the matter is that with this higher resolution you are going to be doing a hell of a lot more in a windowed mode in order to save system resources and you're just going to have to get used to having a hard time navigating the UI elements of legacy programs unless they give us a digitizer with surgical precision - as using touch would be out of the question entirely. It might look great for apps with vector scaling but for games or graphical programs the higher resolution cannot be helping and I can't help but think of they had chosen a smaller screen you could not only get more power from the given system resources but you could have also had more battery life.

Yes. For me this manifested itself as them spending hours between online chat and a phone call trying to convince me that my bad keyboard dock was working as intended and I could disable the disconnection notification and that I just wasn't connecting it right. In the end I sent a video of me connecting it, putting it on my lap, or just resting it on a table and how it would not repeatedly disconnect itself regardless of how hard I pressed it in or what position I had it and they finally told me that they didn't see anything wrong and that if I sent it in I do it at my own risk, that they are not liable for any loss that happens in transit, and that if they didn't find anything wrong with it they would charge me for the inspection and repair. And that it could take 2-6 weeks to do it regardless of whether or not there is an issue to fix.

At this point I called amazon and told them about the issue, they acknowledged that it was a known issue and within 5 minutes, not even exaggerating, they had ordered another one to be sent in next day delivery free of charge as long as I packed my current one up and had it ready for the delivery person to pick it up a day later. When you compare the two.... yeah, Samsung support leaves something to be desired.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the issue is with Windows scaling, it just boggles my mind that MS isn't making the scaling in the desktop mode a huge priority. Between the lack of apps in the windows marketplace and Apple/Google's HUGE lead in the tablet market you would think MS would want to push the millions of legacy programs available on the desktop, instead of making users feel stupid after they open their $1500 tablet and realize legacy programs are useless on such a high resolution screen without proper scaling. Just very weird.

4. spinedoc77

Anyone care to venture how games will run on the Android portion? I'm assuming it's some kind of virtual OS run inside of windows, so I wasn't sure how that would run hardcore stuff like games. Since I got a windows tablet I have zero use for Android in a tablet, but Windows is extremely weak at tablet games, in fact they are non existent. It would be nice to have a gaming alternative.

5. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

Oooooooh! the BATTERY LIFE ♥ so important for me. hihihi

6. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung Ativ Q is indeed the king but only if you can buy one of these with more than 4GB of RAM. I canceled my order for a Duo 13 when the ATIV Q came out. Especially with the super nice 3200X1800 display I want to use this for work and I can't multitask my usual workload of Visual Studio, Photoshop, Office and a bunch of other applications with only 4GB of RAM. 8GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD and I'd pay anything Samsung wants for this.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  7. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like these go on sale in just few more days (July 12?), so the suspense should not be killing us for much longer.

It is surprising there are not full blown product review out there just yet .

The insanity of that rez on 13" screen ... I really hope it wont screw up the product - both for Window and Android. Pushing this many pixels out is just part of possible problem, the scaling is the other half. Just how many apps can , at the very least, look decent in this resolution - through native support (none ?!) or DPI scaling ?

8. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

Android will have no issues with the resolution. My Nexus 10 is only 10 inches and has an ultra high resolution 2560X1440 display and the only time I notice the usability of that screen is when I realize how crisp and clear images and photos are. I absolutely love it! That is on a 10" screen so the ATIV Q should be able to handle the 3200X1800 resolution just fine.

I am quite used to working in Visual Studio, Office, and Photoshop with ultra high resolution displays and once you get used to it, you can't go back. Windows 8.1 specifically has features for DPI scaling so when that rolls out in August, the Ativ Q will be even more useable in Windows.

People who think 1080P is the high-end in terms of display resolution don't know what they are missing!

I just hope the ATIV Q ships with enough RAM of at least 8GB to really use that display and allow multitasking on that ultra high res. display.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  9. spinedoc77

Hmm I hadn't read anything about windows 8.1 adding any DPI scaling advantages. Scaling in windows is horrible on the desktop, even with adjusting DPI settings (which breaks some programs) it still looks terrible on something like a surface Pro, I can only imagine how tough it will be to see the desktop on the Q.

Do you have any links to the changes in 8.1 re the scaling? I'd be curious and very excited if they did make any significant changes. This IMO should be MS highest priority.

10. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was discussed during the Windows Weekly show on 2013/06/28, that's where I heard about it. From what was said, Windows stuff scales pretty well in 8.1m but some legacy programs will not scale properly unless updated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.