Samsung Ativ Q: the new king ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r11, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

I do look at my M200 with a bit of nostalgia every now and then too :)

Surface Pro has spoiled me a bit though, as I can peck at things with my finger and get stuff done faster.

I am hoping the keyboard implementation in Ativ Q will prove more useful for "in one's lap" usage scenario and that would negate all of the possible negatives :) of such keyboard arrangement.

This waiting game is getting old, though ... wait for Nexus 10, wait for Surface Pro and now it is the Ativ Q :)

2. cfduarte

cfduarte Pen Pal - Newbie

Then a convertible makes far more sense and allows the manufacturer to "shift" equipment to the base (i.e. keyboard) rather than having to stick everything behind the screen. The detachable keyboard makes sense if the primary use of the unit is "tablet mode", in which case a non-excessive size (so it can be comfortable handling) and weight are more importante than screen size.

The "type cover", in that scenario (accessory for tablet) is more useful than a keyboad.

3. cfduarte

It's funny (again, personal experience) but I never got around the "lap" bit on laptop. Always found it unwieldy and not pratical at all... I would go as far as assume that, on a lap, scribbling as in a notepad would be faster.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Then it would seem you are best suited to desktops, as the whole point of ultraportables, laptops and ultrabooks is to have the freedom to type, navigate etc on your lap on a couch, in a coffee shop, iand so on. I think plenty of folks use laptops on their laps for typing. I do everyday at least... I guess I don't understand your point with this one. The Helix seems pretty versatile to me, but if I had a Surface Pro I would feel limited by the flexy touch cover. Not being able to type on my lap would be a nuisance for me and represent less freedom/more cumbersome.

5. cfduarte

My point is simple: if you are going to use it mainly as a laptop, then buy a "fixed" hybrid (i.e. non-detachable keyboard) or a "regular" ultrabook, as it will probably have less limitations (and if you look at the ATIV, less problems!). If, on the other hand, you mainly use it as tablet (inc. pen input), then it makes (IMO) little sense for a bulky keyboard, as it will weigh down the whole package.

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think I'm gonna have to go with CF on this one. detachables are the way to go when it comes to portability. I can attest to that having been using the Asus Vivotab 810. Otherwise the Yoga form factor will be better. This whole slider thing doesn't make for a very good tablet experience as it is kinda unwieldy until they OEMs and intel are able to defy nature and give us a screen and keyboard that is less than 10mm( not sure the measurement unit) thick.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I agree? :confused: Detachables are the way to go when it comes to portability. I guess I misunderstood CF original post to be slamming all detachables (like the ATIV and Helix) as cumbersome and would all be better with a type cover instead.... But I agree detachables have there place, as do convertibles.

The only form factor I question the usefulness or place for is the "slider" like Sony, and now the ATIV Q. It seems like an inferior form of the regular hinge convertible. Why try to fix what isn't broken?
    The slider IMO simply steals space from the keyboard, sits at a fixed angle, looks prone to breaking, and doesn't give you the option to shed the extra weight like the detachables do.

If the ATIV 700t hadn't botched the keyboard connection hardware, it would have been the most logical approach from my perspective.

8. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

Ativ Q is not 16.9, it is wider than that.

9. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3200x1800 is 16:9.

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

That's what I've thought since the beginning. It's nice to have options and everything (the great thing about the Windows ecosystem), but if it's not a detachable or a slate, it's just a convertible. In that case, why fool around with the "conversion mechanism" when it's original design worked reliably? The yoga and slider form-factors create problems that the traditional "twist" convertibles didn't have.

The yoga leaves the keyboard exposed to dust, grease and everyday roughness (meaning that some of those keys will start failing after a few years). The slider doesn't have adjustable angles and its "sliding mechanism" will probably give up on the owner after a few years due to fatigue.

Regarding the Surface, I think Microsoft should make a third keyboard alternative. One using the traditional keyboard-dock concept with adjustable angles, a few extra ports and a 2-cell battery. This would give the buyer the option to go super slim with the keyboard-covers or super-productive with the keyboard-dock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.