Samsung ativ 500T vs Asus Vivo Tab t810

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jonasvill, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jonasvill

jonasvill Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    1000$

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Notebook convertible.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

10-13 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    I live in Denmark, but whereever i can find the product.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    no

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    i prefer decent battery, but i was used to an old notebook with 2 hours roughly.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Email, web surfing, notetaking, word processing, calculations in math programs aka. Maple, small programming in GAMS etc, but nothing big.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 8

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    not really

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Would be nice indeed, but not requirements.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No experience with pens, but i would prefer a pen for notetaking.

So i've been browsing the net a lot and found these 2 hybrids, problem is i can't really find out if one is better than the other, or if there even is a significant difference between the two. Other tablets are also welcome aslong as you can attach a keyboard to it, so my productivity isen't only based on touch.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tokekin

Tokekin Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm considering the same tablets right now. I had the 700T and it was overkill for what I wanted, plus I found it hard to hit the tiny buttons on a 1080p screen. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Vivotab for a few reasons. A) The reviews on Amazon seem better for it (take that with a grain of salt.) B) the keyboard dock (if I choose to get one down the line) includes a battery. C)The 700T (and 500T) have some odd dimensions, it seems like they were made to be held in landscape and not portrait.

3. Tokekin

Tokekin Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh and the 700T/500T has a rather small stylus w/ no eraser. The fact that it docks in the tablet is nice, but I would probably buy a third-party stylus. The asus stylus is full-sized with and eraser, but I'm not sure if it docks in the tablet or not (I don't think it does.) Another very minor thing is the casing for the 500T is hard plastic where the vivotab is brushed metal. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

4. jemyclarke

jemyclarke Pen Pal - Newbie

Samsung Ativ 500T and Asus Vivo Tab t810 both are really amazing gadgets. But I would suggest to buy Samsung Ativ 500T because Samsung is one of the best brand in tablet and you can access very easy functionality.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Tokekin

Tokekin Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered the VivoTab t810 today. I'll let you know what I think. The driver issues are worrying me. Plus it was $170 more expensive than the 500T (I'm not ordering the keyboard docks.) I really like Samsung devices (I use their SSDs and other items a lot,) but I also love Asus motherboards. Asus' support is pretty horrendous, but 95% of the time you don't need it (on their motherboards..)

Reasons I decided on the VivoTab over the ATIV: the build quality (case and keyboard particularly) seems higher in the Asus; the full size stylus (although no dock so it's easier to lose;) The screen dimensions (They seem a little more squarish, and when I used the 700T it seemed too long for me;) and finally the battery in the keyboard dock if I decide to purchase the dock in the future. If I don't like the VivoTab I'll go after the 500T cause it's $170 cheaper even though I'll mainly be settling and dealing with any problems it might have. The issues with both devices seem very similar.

I'll let you know what I think after I mess around with it for a few days. It was a very tough decision (I went back and forth on the 500T and the vivotab for about a week and a half.)

6. jemyclarke

jemyclarke Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for giving me such a this kind of information. I really don't know about Asus Vivo Tab t810 because I have only used Samsung devices. Hope I will search more information about this new tablet.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. jonasvill

It's funny how i keep changing my mind. First i was going for the Samsung, because i like Samsung products. Then i heard about the build quality of The Asus, and with some of TokeKin's suggestion i got hooked on the Asus. Then i heard about the Driver issues, and the horrible customer service by Asus, and went back to Samsung, I guess the differences are that small! Right now i mainly leans towards Samsung once again, but not much will change my mind.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I had a motherboard that failed. Asus returned it still defective telling me it checked out. I took it to a local shop that confirmed the motherboard defect. That was my last Asus purchase of anything. The t810 is too expensive to risk that kind of crappy service. Although Samsung is not the best with service, it's a cut above Asus IMO.

9. Tokekin

Tokekin Pen Pal - Newbie

Jonas and Bronsky, You're dead-on. Asus' support is horrible. That being said, I got my VivoTab today. First impressions are really good (Waaaaaaay better than I had with the 700T, but some of that may have been the Win8 learning curve..) So far, I haven't encountered any issues that made me think "I really need to update the drivers." The main thing that jumps out at me is the screen is a normal size. The 700T/500T was really odd to hold as a tablet, the VivoTab is a normal tablet-size.

10. jonasvill

sounds interesting, i can't wait to hear your thoughts on the product! :) So please return once you have something to say, both good and bad! Thanks

11. aco

aco Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi I had the 500t for 3 weeks, but I had to sell it because it was to slow. I was just scrolling up and down at vg.no(by finger touch) a flash site. The performance was terrible! it took about one second before the tablet reacted every time I scrolled. I don't know if its lagging u call it but it was really slow...
    Samsung note and HTC one x handles this site smmothly and without problem. Can you test it on the Asus vivo;)
    would be nice to know if I need a I5 for Windows8 or if Asus somehow made a better build:)

12. gg5t5t5

gg5t5t5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have used Samsung Ativ 500T for a week. Very easy to use. It is really amazing gadgets and one of the best brand in tablet.

13. Tokekin

Tokekin Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright Folks,

I got my VivoTab on Wed. I didn't get a chance to mess around with it until today, but I've used it for some notetaking in a class and doing homework.

*Disclaimers* - I wanted to get a feel for the out-of-the-box quality. So for this review, I have installed 0 new drivers. I did a little windows updating (honestly not sure if I'm current.) Keep in mind these are with factory drivers and when I do a full review later on, I will have updated the drivers.
    - Also remember I owned the ATIV 700T, not the 500T. The builds are similar, but the internal components are stronger in the 700T. Most of what I mention here should be the same though.

These Are my initial thoughts on the device:

Externally, the build, weight, and shape are exactly what I was looking for and expecting in a tablet. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the 500T/700T are shaped oddly. It's like writing on a scroll, and can be uncomfortable to hold 1-handed. The VivoTab didn't feel like that at all. It's very similar to writing on a standard piece of paper. (It's like samsung just widened the screen, where Asus extended it from the corners.)

Internally, the hardware of the 500T and the Vivo are pretty similar (I think there's a difference in the type of storage, emcc vs. ssd?) When I had the 700T, it was very powerful. I had no real lag during anything I did. The VivoTab navigated Windows and the internet very smoothly. The only times I had to wait on things (and not very long) was converting pdfs and installing/updating programs. The 700T was much quicker at those tasks, but there's a $500 price difference. I imagine the 500T's load times would be similar to the VivoTab. (@Aco I'm a sketchball about going to sites I don't understand. However if the 500T was too slow, the VivoTab probably will be too.)

Asus VivoTabSamsung ATIV

The performance and connections of the VivoTab have been great. Wireless was easy. The 700T had trouble staying connected to my wireless at school. My bluetooth keyboard connected quickly and stayed connected. I had issues keeping the keyboard connected with the 700T. However, I have not been able to get my bluetooth mouse connected at all. I had no issues with the mouse on the 700T heh. The onscreen keyboard is a delight, but Microsoft still has some work to do on when it pops up 700T was more difficult to type on because of the narrower screen (I mainly use portrait view.) obviously it had the same 'windows 8 being dumb issue.' The screen is nice and the buttons and Icons are easy to click/touch The 700T's 1080p Resolution looked amazing! Blew the VivoTab away, but it made pushing smaller buttons pretty difficult. *The 500T has the same 720p res as the VivoTab, so it would probably be good. One glaring downside to the VivoTab is the virtual windows button. It is way too easy to touch and you will NEED to keep it on the opposite side of the screen when writing. It really really made me miss the physical button on the Samsung. The stylus on the VivoTab is fantastic. Full-sized, with an eraser, and it works well. It has the same problem that ALL digitizers seem too have at the edge of the screen. The 700T's edge-warp seemed somewhat better than the VivoTab, but that could be due to the increased resolution. Also, I can't count the number of times I flipped the ATIV's stylus around to erase something. The pen silo was really nice to have though. In general, the touch support seemes slightly better/more responsive on the Vivo. Navigating Windows seems way easier than it ever did on the 700T even though I've only used it for one day The 700T wouldn't switch between applications as well as the VivoTab does. I don't know why, could have been Windows. On both devices, the ambient light sensor sucks. bad.... Both device's screens will get dimmer and brighter too often. On the 700T sometimes it wouldn't boot because of the sensor. I haven't seen this on the Vivo, but I haven't used it nearly as long. I've been underwhelmed by the battery-life on the VivoTab so far. I may have set my expectations too high, but after an hour of class, 3 hours of standby time, and 3 hours of homework, its battery was at 51%. The 700T would have needed charging after that, but the atom-powered 500T will get much better battery life than the 700T. I think I was expecting/hoping for the battery life of my Motorola Xoom (It would have been around 70% after that kind of use.) That may have been unrealistic though

One last thing to note, is calibrating the pen input on the VivoTab seems to make things worse. A lot worse.

Well those are my initial comparisons. I don't have the dock for the VivoTab, but if I decide to get it down the road, it's comforting to know it has a battery in it. The main deal-breaker for me on the 500T is the odd screen shape. I really wish the VivoTab had a physical windows button. A pen silo would have been nice, but if I have to choose between a silo and a full-sized stylus with an eraser, I'll take the VivoTab's everytime. One last nice touch was I was impressed to find a simple cover/stand with the VivoTab It has a little place to put the stylus, and now my tablet has a little protection until I get a real case.

Anyways, I'll probably be back in a week or so to do a final review of the VivoTab. I'll do less comparisons in there and more overall thoughts on the Asus specifically. I will also have gotten the best drivers/windows updates/ see if the windows app store has ANYTHING to offer.

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  14. jonasvill

Awesome review so far. I can't wait to see hear after you did the proper installing of drivers etc. And also to hear if you have any problems with ASUS, like i hear so many people have. A few questions regarding the vivotab/clovertrail processer in general. How does it fare with big excel programs? and have you tested how it does with "real" programs, maybe some school programs like mathcad/maple whatever. Because i will be using mine for school, and being able to use those kind of programs is a must. but i for sure agree with the real size stylus is a huge benefit. oh and one last question, your protective cover, would it also work with the keyboard, or is the keyboard in the way for it to work? properly, because a silo for the pen is pretty sweet i would say.

Jonas