Samsung, Asus, and Founder UMPC Devices at CeBIT (pics)

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Brian, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Just a Guy Staff Member

For those that have been in the dark for the past week, you might not have heard about the new Intel backed device that's being referred to as Origami. The "proper" name for the new style of device about to be released is actually UMPC (Ultra Mobile Personal Computer). Samsung, Asus and Founder are going to be the first three manufacturers to release UMPC devices. Founder already has a device shipping in China (yes, as in right now) while Samsung and Asus will have devices shipping in the next 2 - 3 months.

The Samsung device actually looks like a bigger version of the PMP player they have on the market. It's sleek looking, but a real fingerprint magnet. On the right side of the device is a VGA out port so you can display to a larger screen. USB ports will allow you use a keyboard on this device as it is a fully fledged Microsoft XP based OS with some added features on top that give it the Origami OS designation. Also note, this device has an integrated antenna for watching TV.

[​IMG]

The Founder device is red and actually has a DVI port on it. This device is shipping in China right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Asus device looks like a shrunken version of the popular Asus silver brushed metal notebook look. Asus put an antenna port on the side for those that want to tap into TV. It of course also has USB ports, mic, headphone and a unique 1.3MP camera. This was the nicest looking device in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. d-Roc

d-Roc Pen Pal - Newbie

Neat. Providing that they do not have the bottlenecks in speed and usability that the TC1000 that I normally work on has, this would be a heck of a nice solution for many people. Of course, the hard part willb e convincing people that all they need is one of these and then cna hook it up to a larger monitor and maybe even file server in order to keep things really mobile.

I am looking forward to this area of mobile computing, its about time :)

3. Polar

Polar Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok I actually like this one. It looks more professional than another I just saw someone post here.

You think this would really replace a laptop/tablet pc?

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it depends on the user, but most won't want to buy this and all the external components to make it usable as a primary computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.