SAI&PS Toolbar Extended - [based on Ps_Sai_Toolbar}

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Tonitti, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

EDIT 06: Version 0.7 released (2013-12-6
    ):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0hapa561x0e3gzh/SAI&PS-EXTENDED (v0.7).zip

The pan/hand tool has been swapped with the bigger pencil brush button, that makes panning faster using the new mode: now it's possible to pan using a single touch-and-slide over the button. This is better for fullscreen Sai work, for further pannings just use Sai's navigator window. Thanks to lblb for the code and help. Also I have included a "night mode" that makes the ui darker and more comfortable to use in low light situations.

EDIT 05: The toolbar has been updated to v0.6. A quick update; I realized I only need one button for copy and paste, that made room for adding an ALT button, useful when making selections.

EDIT 04: The toolbar has been updated to v0.5. I changed the keys C and V to COP (copy) and PAS (paste), so they work as ctrl + c and ctrl + v. I also found that I prefer the undo and redo buttons at the bottoms, so I put them there.

EDIT 03: The toolbar has been updated to v0.4 [Many updates this time, the rotate button is now shorter, to give space to small buttons of usual keys: esc, d, x, m, shift, c, ctrl and v. Also added an icon for an option "fur brush". The lasso tool now has two states, enabled and disabled (equivalent to ctrl + d)].

EDIT 02: The toolbar has been updated to v0.3 [Added a rotation touchstrip. Thanks to lblb for the code].

EDIT 01: The toolbar has been updated to v0.2.

As I was requested, here's my personal modification of the original Ps_Sai_Toolbar using Autohotkey, that was originally created by Thatcomicguy, and can be found here: Fantasy/Sci-fi graphic novels and webcomics by Cartoonist Mark Oakley, author of the Graphic Novel series, "Thieves & Kings", "Stardrop" and "Jenny Mysterious"

These are the hotkeys I defined, I mention them just in case someone wants to revert them to its original state:

sai toolbar fordafa v2.jpg

This is a toolbar I created mostly to myself, that's the reason why some of the buttons are bigger than others (for example I found that I don't use the hand tool as often as other tools), the bigger ones that are close to the right side of the menu are those that I found I use more frequently, but you are free to adapt it's position at your convenience.

I designed the toolbar for my Asus Vivotab tf810 tablet that has 1366x768 pixels of resolution; that's the reason the toolbar is bigger than others, as I wanted it to fit in that vertical resolution. I like to use this toolbar when sai is on fullscreen, I even removed my Sai scrollbars editing the .ini file so now the canvas is uncluttered. This is convenient for sketching in black and white but I will need a way to show some colors or swatches in the toolbar itself to be useful this way for coloring too.

Some of the small brush buttons on the upper side are duplicated for future use, also the Photoshop toolbar is unfinished, but my most used functions are there, although it is adapted for older Photoshop hotkeys.

By the way I'm not an expert programmer by any means and I have only fiddled with Autohotkey for some game hotkeys in the past, so forgive me if the code in the ahk is a bit messed up . I just wanted the job done quickly as I thought I would not be able to finish this toolbar.

I consider this bar at version 0.1. Things to improve in the near future:

- I want the merge the rotate buttons into only 1, like the touchstrip bar found for example in the Cintiq12wx tablet.

- The first thing I will do is to improve it aesthetically, I have already made my own icons for some buttons (hue, brightness, etc) but I will continue and make my own for the rest of the tools, I also will ad a nice dark wood background for a change, not too light because that will be distracting with darker paintings. Here's a preview I made quickly to show how it will look in next version:
    View attachment 3436

- I think there is a way to zoom better that prevents the zoom to center over the eyeglass button where the cursor is located.

- I'd also want to make the buttons to show a different graphic when the mouse is down or up, just like the ones in Adobe's Photoshop toolbar. I see that the transform button already does that so I think It would be easy to make them for other buttons.

- And maybe I will make small buttons to change what the button of the pen does, for example, when I'm doing a black and white sketch with the pencil I like to swap between the color black and white on the fly, so instead of the Alt key that I always have attached to that pen button, that special button would replace Alt with the key that swaps the foreground and background colors. Anyhow I think this will be a bit tricky because not everyone has the Alt key mapped to his pen button...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. sumpm1

sumpm1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't use your toolbar, since I have a Motion LE1700 and these toolbars are for touch enable tablets only.

I have a question about the hand tool though. Will the hand tool simulate holding the spacebar?

3. Tonitti

Hi. It's strange that the toolbar doesn't work for you since I developed it on my regular desktop and it even works with a mouse or a pen.

No, but I'd like it to work that way, I've seen that working on Windows 7 slates like ep121 or Samsung slate 7, but it seems hold buttons doesn't work on Windows 8 tablets yet, I need someone to confirm this.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I agree. This toolbar is a pen-only toolbar. No touch. So this should work fine on your le1700, once you install Autohotkey. There is a link in the other thread for the correct version of AHK to install to run this script.

5. sumpm1

sumpm1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice. I judged by the look of this toolbar that it was just like PaintDock and ArtDock. Finally something for us pen-only people. I tried it; it works well.

Thanks.

6. Tonitti

As promised, I have finished my skin for the toolbar, you can grab from the first post above or right here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xh536e4pmi565yv As you will see, the photoshop toolbar is still unfinished.

Here's how it looks:

ps-sai-toolbar-extended-v-02.jpg

Here's a photo showing how the toolbar looks on Sai in fullscreen mode:

toolbar-sai-preview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Tonitti,
    Your toolbar looks fabulous! The wooden design reminds me of a wooden board for the venerable game of mancala!

I've been crazy busy these last few weeks and I've barely been able to even take a peek at the forum here. I can certainly try to help you when things calm down with some of the other functions you want to include in your toolbar.

For now, maybe you'll want to test our first version of a "zoom strip". I can think of a few ways to improve it but for now this is the first version of a zoom strip that I have been able to use reliably to zoom in/out in Sai. If you want to test it, just replace the code for any button with the code below. Then just click on the button, leave the pen on the screen and move the pen up or down (you can go outside of the button area, so no need for an actual strip that would necessitate more space) and it should zoom in or out. Again, there is room for improvement, but maybe this concept can be of interest to you. You can change the rate at which it zooms by modifying the value for the sleep command (in milliseconds).

Code:
    ifWinExist, ahk_class sfl_window_class
    WinActivate, ahk_class sfl_window_class
    Mousegetpos,, SecondY
    loop
    {
    FirstY := SecondY
    sleep 50
    Mousegetpos,, SecondY
    If (SecondY > FirstY)
    {
    Send ^-
    }
    If (SecondY < FirstY)
    {
    Send ^{=}
    }
    getKeyState, State, LButton
    if State = U
    break
    }
    Return

8. Tonitti

Many thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I'm going to try your code right now, I'll write about it later ;)

Next thing I will try to implement is a dual state for the buttons, one with "mouse up" and another highlighted for when the "mouse" is pressed down, in this case the pen or the finger.

EDIT: you are right, it looks like mancala! I have never played the game, but I remember I saw photos of it long time ago!

I remember that almost a decade ago someone made a very laborious "real life photoshop toolbar" (I found the photo, it's here: http://img4.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/full/art-Photoshop-348864.jpeg I also wanted something that felt organic, for a change, and that was also reminiscent of the wooden color palettes that traditional painters use.

I also like the "paper" toolbar someone sketched previously in the forum, I'd also like to make a paper skin variation from the one I made, and also maybe a dark skin, but only if people request it, as I'm very happy with this one right now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Hey, the 3d skin you've got on this is fun! That bit of shadowing is both nice to look at and a functional, simple way of differentiating the buttons. This is cool! I've been playing around in PS a bit, and might try this one out with it. :) How does it differ from the other PS toolbar?

edit-
    Oh, and that linked-to "Real Life Photoshop" image is very cool and fun!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. Tonitti

Many thanks Steve. I made this toolbar based on the original Ps_Sai_Bar because it was one of the very few that worked well on my Windows 8 tablet. The other ones seems to only work well on the slates that use Windows 7 (ep121, samsung slate 7...). I really miss the functionality of these toolbars, they have a mix of touch + pen that is lacking in Windows 8 at the moment, it seems, so I mostly use my toolbar only with the pen (although it still works with touch).

I have added my most used functions there, the big buttons are the ones I use the most, so they are at the right side (I am lefty for the mouse but I use the pen with the right).

I have to thank lblb for helping me later with the code, now the buttons for zoom, rotate and undo are more comfortable to use, and he even sent me a code to make a touchstrip that I will include on my next update.