Ryzen-powered Asus VivoBook Flip 14 (2020)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by daddyfish, Aug 24, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Update: my Asus laptop broke within a weeks because of the Kingston SSD, I would advise to check this with every budget laptop and prevent Kingston if able (you can check within Windows what your SSD is).

Just came across this Asus 2-1 laptop, seems like an interesting laptop for people looking for a relatively cheap 2-1 laptop with very good processor performance (even compared to higher priced variants). Somewhat similar gpu performance to MX150 (in similar sized laptops) which is also a positive. There is also either magnets for the active pen (included in the package) or a pen holder attached to the screen(?).

Full review -> https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...e-Review-Core-i7-Need-Not-Apply.488016.0.html
    Not a review link but a short overview of its performance -> https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ryzen...-launch-its-Tiger-Lake-platform.489356.0.html

Added my review below

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  2. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the information.

3. daddyfish

, your welcome.

Its seems like a good laptop with a mediocre screen. According to the review an active pen is included, if this is indeed the case in other areas where it is offered too I think it is good competion to the HP Envy Ryzen 2-1 (though the Envy has a better screen).

I know it is a bit of a gimmick but anyone else disappointed that Asus does not offer its Screenpad (TouchPad that can act as a second screen, also special software support by apps like Word) in its 2-1 laptops? I think it would be interesting for eg hotkeys while you use the active pen and touch as mouse pointer.

4. daddyfish

Update: my Asus laptop broke within a weeks because of the Kingston SSD, I would advise to check this with every budget laptop and prevent Kingston if able (you can check within Windows what your SSD is).

Ironically I just bought this laptop lol, forgot I made this post a year ago.

My review of it partly from another thread but I expanded it a bit (I have the Ryzen 4500u model with 8 gb ram that I am going to upgrade to 16/20 gb, 512 gb ssd, for 700 euro):
    - I like the keyboard and touchpad, its not premium but it has a nice click to it. Keyboard layout is nice (page up/down as separate column to the right). Touchpad is snappy (Precision touchpad I would guess), medium sized for 14".
    - speakers seem okay.
    - the design is surprisingly premium for a budget laptop. Laptop seems to be made out of a mix between plastic and metal. Edges are not sharp but I would not use it as a tablet (its still to heavy for that at 1.5 kg). Fingerprints do show up easily considering its a black laptop (personally do not really mind that).
    - laptop is slim and screen bezles are small, easy to hold closed with one hand.
    - the laptop its not very easy to open even though it has an indent/groove which is normally seen with more luxurious laptops like Macbooks. I suspect the hinge will loosen up a bit over time so from that perspective this might be a plus.
    - performance is super good, definitely noticeable upgrade for me when doing heavy stuff like compiling code (as in noticeable upgrade from my quad-core 15" Envy).
    - cooling solution is not the best at the left side, is like the HP Pavillion series but at least the Ryzen cpu keeps it more quiet than Intel HP Pavillion laptops.
    - charger is compact, got a bit hot (for reference similar to ipad charger temperature wise).
    - battery is good for budget segment (6-8 hours for basic computing / browsing / light work, ironically doing heavy work on this laptop still gives an okayish battery life since the Ryzen cpu is quite efficient).
    - lots of bloatware but can be uninstalled, biggest offender is mcafee bloatware which is installed twice (one for browser and make sure you click the correct uninstall button because those charlatans swapped the buttons, where left is uninstall and right is cancel).
    - screen is decent (though as expected not meant for prof. photoshop work). Its to dark to work in the sun outside but it is bright enough to work outside without sun glare and eg in the car with sunny weather.
    - my surface pen works on it (including pressure support) and it attaches magnetically at the top of the lid reasonably sturdy (you will need to add a small rubber feet keep the pen in place at the right though). Some models also come with a pen holder and Asus pen, mine did not.
    - Touchscreen itself feels a bit rough but does work well. I suspect that the touchscreen will feel more smooth over time (similar with an older 2-1 laptop I had, just clean the screen with dry cloth instead of wet cloth.
    - MicroSD card goes almost fully in the body so you can use that as 2nd harddisk basically.
    - I read that the usb-c port does not charge the laptop, have not yet checked this but can if someone is interested in that.
    - power button needs to be pressed a bit firmly to turn the laptop on (probably to prevent the laptop accidentally turning on in a bag).
    Feel free to ask if you have questions about this laptop.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Marty and dellaster like this.
  5. daddyfish

Upgraded the ram today from 8 gb to 20 gb. It was initially a bit hard to pry open the bottom but when one edge was open the rest went easily.
    Removing ram was also relatively easy since they put 2 holes in the protective lid which helps opening it with a tweezer (you still have to use some force though). 4 gb was soldered on and 4 gb was removable, I replaced the latter with a 16 gb Crucial stick (DDR4 3200 MHz Sodimm). I believe this results in 8 gb dual ram and the remaining acts as single ram. One final note; putting in the ram stick was a bit scary since you have to put it in without a click and than press it downwards till 2 clamps are forced in position, I would advise you try it out first with the 4gb ram stick to get the hang of it.
    Everything seems to work so far (W10 shows 20 gb ram in taskmanager) and can open lots big data files.

For the sake of completeness; you can also upgrade/replace the SSD, wifi and battery (which is quite rare these days for a 14" ultrabook). One last thing to note is that the power button is bit more wobbly now (/you have to press a bit harder to turn on the laptop, it does seems like it can be easily fixed though).

6. daddyfish

Just wanted to mention that the Kingston SSD in the laptop broke. Reading some more online about their SSD's and they are apparently really unreliable and sometimes are prone to break within weeks of usage. Would advise Samsung or maybe Intel SSD's.