Run Android Apps Without Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by anachrion, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anachrion

anachrion Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!
    Well it is now official. You Windows7/Windows8 tablets are now Android tablets as well.
    www.bluestacks.com
    has opened their alpha. You are able to run android apps natively without a virtual machine. There is an app that allows you to sync apps between your android phones and the BlueStacks Widget within windows.
    Download the program from the website. A video will open after installation that walks you through the process.
    Cheers!:D

2. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

can we use it without having an android based phone? or is it required to install the apps?

3. Javaru

Javaru Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not installed it yet to try it out. But, according to a ZDnet review: "It is worth noting that using Bluestacks requires having a physical Android device for getting apps. You cannot simply use Bluestacks as the sole Android “device”.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. jmbeca

jmbeca Pen Pal - Newbie

So far the program runs quite poorly on the ep121, maybe driver issues but it doesn't correctly map touch input. With a mouse it works fine - but who wants to use android with a mouse?
    Regarding also having an android-based phone, you can also install .apk files directly with the apk handler, so no android phone needed (though I'm sure it's easier to do it that way). Not all apps are compatible yet.

5. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Minion

Minion Pen Pal - Newbie

I've installed it but the apps that I want to use from my phone aren't supported on the program. I'm not if there is a list out there of apps that can be used with it?

7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Premium apps... means you have to pay.

8. Minion

Minion Pen Pal - Newbie

If it was truly an Android on Windows program, then any app would work. What this does is runs only a specific amount of apps so it doesn't run the OS on Windows, just the apps.

9. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

its stupid, most things dont work and you have to use facebook which is a no-go for a lot of users

10. three_pineapples

three_pineapples Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had much trouble with it so far (though I must admit I haven't used it extensively).

Touch seems to work fine.

If you want to add your own apps, you need the apk file for the app (either from the internet or a phone) and then you drag and drop it to the ApkHandler.exe file (or a shortcut pointing to the file).

It's a bit of an undocumented feature, but I got ADW Launcher running fine (a desktop replacement/Launcher replacement for android).

Maybe that will help people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.