Rumored 17 inch ThinkBook Plus with 2nd screen

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by desertlap, Nov 1, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

FWIW, we are hearing that this is real and may get officially announced at least before the end of the year.

There is a market for something like this, and I know of at least customer that will almost certainly buy some, if it isn't a $5k device anyway.

This version of a second screen is a new try at something that at least so far hasn't really taken off, such as with Asus systems with a display/trackpad combo.

Lenovo's rumored 17-inch ThinkBook Plus has a second screen for drawing | Engadget

dellaster likes this.
  2. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

What if you are left-handed? :( :( :( Ah, who was I kidding, I wasn't going to get this anyway...

dellaster and desertlap like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yup first thing that popped in to my mind too.

I think the manufacturers frequently forget that type of stuff. Even small stuff like the pen silo in older Samsung notes is oriented towards a right handed person.:(

Eltos likes this.
  4. Eltos

They really do. About the only smart thing I did as a kid was get used to using a mouse right-handed. Otherwise it would have been worse. :) There was a gaming laptop with a trackpad on the right a year or two ago. Same thing. Smaller market I guess.

desertlap likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That was my reaction at first too, but the one advantage of the current deign is a palmrest area for lefties:

[​IMG]

Righties would have an awkward edge to navigate over, or have to hold their palms midair. Not exactly practical for longterm drawing.

In fact, now thinking about it, I don't think I'd want to use that as anything but a lefty. :)

Eltos likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

It's a cool idea and I could see it working for some (non-left-handed) people for art and/or notes. Depending on the pen performance and how well the software handles a second screen like that, of course.

Personally I don't like keyboards that don't have the home row centered under the display. I never buy laptops with a keypad for that reason. So this would be a challenge. Not that I have any use for it. :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Eltos likes this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Yes, the off-center keyboard is something that I've come to not like on my Samsung Flex. Even for a 15.6" device, I would just as well not have the keyboard, and just have everything centered. It's not terrible or anything, but I've definitely learned it's not my preference.

Eltos likes this.
  8. Eltos

I don't know, then you see the keys on the top half. This probably isn't the best setup regardless of handedness. :confused:

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I for one love this idea. But I'm also a multi monitor nut, so I appreciate any innovation that offers more monitors.

It's not too dissimilar from a laptop they offered years ago, forgot the model number, but it had both a pull out second screen on the side, and next to the track pad was a built in Wacom Bamboo tablet. This is clearly a more modern update to that laptop

Not sure I'd get one, but would love to play with one. Not so much artists, but I could see photographers making create use of this for light retouching and editing. Hoping B&H gets this on their show floor when it comes out.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah, it was the Lenovo W700ds. In a way you could say this device is the W700ds’s spiritual successor. They just took the separate screen and separate digitizer and combined them into one penabled screen.
    B51BE12E-3DD4-4A41-84C2-0BBA8DF32FDF.jpeg

dellaster likes this.