Rumor - Leaked Spec of the Lumia 940 and 940 XL Win 10 Phones

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

That's it, I'm moving the family to Sweden.

soh5 likes this.
  2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow... I pay €55 per month (or about) for TV, 120/12 up/down, and phone (and that's including 21% vat). (would be around $60 per month)

I live also in a very rural wild (with earthquakes even!) part of the Netherlands.... ADSL is 4Mbps down, but we do have cable. And 4G is perfect.... (not that I ever use it, with my 200Mb data limit per month :p) But yes, there are some patches that don't have a coaxial cable and most likely won't ever get it (my in-laws lived in an area like that before they moved to Spain)

And Netflix is very possible with a 4Mbps connection. I've done it until the start of this year, when we decided to go for cable (because of the 12Mbps upload)

(and I checked the 330.000 address are both commercial and residential addresses, there are apparently around 196.000 residential address that don't have access to at least 30Mbps+, out of more than 4.000.000 addresses)

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The sad part I forgot to mention is that even if I have a 4G connection I have to disable it and run on 3G because on 4G calls in entrance 3/4 of the time get interrupted before the phone even starts ringing. :D

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow. Life is good in the middle of the Megalopolis. I live between Philadelphia and New York City, smack in the middle of the South Jersey Pinelands (of Sopranos fame). It doesn't get much more rural than this but I have a strong LTE signal, mainly, I guess, because of where we are located. I believe that we are in the electronic cross-roads of the mid-atlantic region.

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't forget that "commercial" addresses in rural areas include small farms (the majority, I would reckon). So my next door neighbour and his wife and two children with their small farm (80 cows) will be considered a commercial enterprise, and many farmers and their families with smaller farms than this likewise. So actually, there are many more families directly impacted by this than the Stratix report would seem to imply if you go by their simple definition of "bedrijfsvestigingen".

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I live in the earthquake capital of US, so we get all these safety features in buildings.

But, on topic, if I could say run chrome and arc chrome extension on a Windows 10 Phone like I can on my Linux box and S3, it could be tempting. Cause with that I get Android app support, which works with most popular apps I use, so now I get best of both worlds.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-astoria

Basically, any Android developer can submit their APK to the Windows Store and it's supposed to run on the phone with little or no changes. Microsoft accomplishes this by an Android subsystem which lives only on the Mobile SKU of Windows 10, and a set of shims they're writing to 'convert' Google Play API calls to the accompanying Microsoft / Windows ones.

That's of course different from Project Islandwood, which has the goal of letting iOS developers reuse a portion of their source code on Windows. The latter is more work for developers, but sounds more promising to me in the long-term as it lets developers create Universal Windows Platform apps from their iOS code (aka, it works on phone AND PC/tablet, not just phone like Astoria).

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I've read about that, but with the chrome method, I the end user is the one doing the effort to get it to work correctly. I am not waiting for a developer to actually submit an app as I just get the apk(of a free app of course) from the web.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well that actually makes sense. New Jersey actually has a higher population density than Japan =P For reference (NJ=~460/km^2, Japan=~350/km^2, US=35/km^2). NJ has more than 10 times the population density of the US average... but in fairness massive Alaska's 0.5/km^2 probably has a lot to do with that.

upload_2015-7-28_19-38-53.png

Bronsky likes this.
  10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Even with 0.5 ppl/km^2, the bonus of AK is the ability to see Russia from there.

Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.