Rumor - Leaked Spec of the Lumia 940 and 940 XL Win 10 Phones

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Because you live in a civilized country. My Nokia 928 is a Verizon only model. We did not get access to the Nokia 1020 on Verizon's network. We are in the dark ages when it comes to cell phones.

soh5 likes this.
  2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

You mean certain carriers want to remain top tier. Meaning they can charge ridiculous prices for plans that include tons of voice minutes and use that as a selling point in 2015.

I dont care if I get 8000 anytime minutes, I might spend 2 hours a month calling people. The data and flagship phones are where its at.

Remember there was a time where the iPhone was EXCLUSIVE to AT&T only, and at that time AT&T was known to have a really poor network with lots of dropped calls and poor voice quality.

There are a few things that I really dislike about the way the USA does things. 1. Cell phone and contracts, 2. Broadband internet speeds (15-20Mbps isnt super high speed anymore!!!!) 3. Health care.

/rant

With that being said I really want a new phone and cant wait for the WP10. I wanna see these devices and the features of the phone OS.

NamelessPlayer and Mesosphere like this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Total agreement on healthcare and cell phone service, but Is broadband better outside the US? I actually have no idea on that one. I think my internet service is pretty good (150 Mbps down, 20 up), but it isn't cheap. What kind of speeds do those of you outside the US get?

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Average Italy: 4-6 Mbps down and 0.5-1 Mbps up
    No joking.
    There's some optic fiber connection but it's still restricted to a few cities. Curiously my phone LTE connection can be faster than my home ADSL...

5. Mesosphere

Ouch, but on the Brightside, I have Verizon (known to have the widest coverage on the US), and I'm lucky to get an LTE connection at all. Right now I'm at 3G bouncing between 1 and 2 bars...it's even worse at work. My "LTE" connection blows. I can't wait for Verizon to add Wi-Fi calling to their "advanced calling" feature.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

In real numbers I get 40 Mbps down and 70 Mbps up in Japan. But this is in a rural area. Cities tend to have 4x the speed, don't ask me why up is faster, maybe cam business is booming? Fire that I pay $20/month.

I just tested my LTE connection and I get 10 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, but this differs widely between towers and distance.

Balbutio ergo sum

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

True, I live in a "civilized" area in Europe :D With 4G coverage even where I live in the most rural part and backward part of the country!

It depends on the country and per country on the area. In the Netherlands, it's generally speaking very high. About every single household in the Netherlands has the opportunity for broadband internet (30Mbps+ download speeds). Either with cable, or with ADSL or with fiber (with fiber mostly restricted to towns). And as I said above, there are two independent networks with a complete 4G coverage of the entire country (and a third is being developed right now)

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cough - living as I do in the "plattelandse buitengebied" (rural wilds) in the Netherlands, our house is one of the 300,000 addresses in the Netherlands that doesn't get at least 30 Mbps up and download. I'm lucky, I get 4 Mbps download - most of our neighbours get 1 - 2 Mbps. 4G Mobile coverage is also still patchy around here, and anyway mobile 4G subscriptions are data-limited, usually up to 10GB per month. I see that this month I have consumed 140GB via my ADSL connection. That's without any streaming via services such as Netflix (our connection just ain't fast enough), and I don't visit bittorrent sites either.

9. Mesosphere

Wow, I want your internet service =) I'm paying $100 a month... and a big part of the choice was to get the 20 up (for accessing my home server). Even 75/10 is $75/month though...

I'm in a rural area as well... although I imagine rural US means an entirely different thing than rural Japan (Japan has 10x the population density). In some cities Comcast (my cable internet provider) offers 500 Mbps down (dunno up), but I think it is crazy expensive (like $400/mon?).

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, it isn't Montana density, but it still lags behind, like only three tv channels OTA. Also, electricity still goes above ground, they claim it's because of earthquakes, but the ground only brakes around the epicenter, and then it is actually easily accessible, so to my ears it sounds strange. Back in Sweden I had true gigabit access for a little less, but Sweden is always on the extreme side of infrastructure, think they'll be left in the dust if not in the forefront.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.