Rumor - Leaked Spec of the Lumia 940 and 940 XL Win 10 Phones

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

Everyone's trade offs/ choices are different. Here's mine: I prefer MS Ecosystem, SP3 is main mobile laptop & tablet. Have a secure desktop at work, SP3 as companion notetaker there and in several meetings each day. IPhone 5s is phone for now. We could only use Good iOS until recently for work e-mail. Now can use Android Good as well. Wait and see on my Windows Good request with IT.

So was looking forward to both these MS flagship releases and the Galaxy Note 5. So far choices will be around pen compatibility for SP3 vs. pen silo (assumed) on GN5. Micro SD on MS vs maybe not on GN5. More useful pen functionality on GN5 (air command, proper ink field sizes, and such) on GN5 (shouldn't MS really own that area better?), Assuming the MS camera will rock.

OneNote integration likely my highest priority. But wonder if device and OS will matter for that over time....

...but then again I'll get to switch again soon enough

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 950 XL WILL be replacing my 1520 but, what I REALLY want is a new 1020. :(

dstrauss and jhoff80 like this.
  3. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Native pen support on the 940 XL?

If that's true, Samsung better watch out. I've long maintained that the reason the Galaxy Note series is on top of the phablet field is that they're the only ones with active pen digitizers and software to take advantage of them, including OneNote. No one else gets that right.

Really, with those specs, about the only thing you could really improve on would be the camera (really now, where's that 1020 41MP PureView goodness?) and the usual SoC/internal storage stuff (isn't the Snapdragon 820 due very soon?). All that and the pen as stock equipment, but it's probably going to be a paid extra with no internal pen silo due to being far too large, oh well.

The other big question is whether they've gotten their carrier support sorted out yet. As good as the 1020 and 1520 might've been, they were still AT&T exclusives here in the States. Sure, unlock 'em for T-Mobile, but that does Verizon and Sprint users absolutely no good with no CDMA capability whatsoever.

Part of the reason Apple, Samsung, LG and Google do so well is that they've got both the major GSM and CDMA carriers covered here, so getting the latest flagship from them doesn't require switching carriers. The days of exclusive phones are long past, barring stuff like the Droid Turbo that presumably doesn't sell a whole lot compared to the usual Android suspects.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

AMEN - Panos - bring the 1020 camera to modern hardware/software, ON THIS!:

[​IMG]

https://www.behance.net/gallery/24129169/Surface-Phone-Windows-10-concept

PS - Panos, while you are at it, check out that innovation to your kickstand - landscape AND portrait in one simple stand modification! (Almost makes me want to take a cutter to the edge of my SPro 3 kickstand...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...)

jvloyola and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This is a great design concept. Kickstand should be landscape for typing.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, hopefully the unlocked versions available at the Microsoft Store have the bands for both AT&T and T-Mobile LTE to be fully supported. As for Verizon and Sprint though, Microsoft has hinted that they wouldn't work with carriers who weren't supportive of (or worse, detrimental to) their platform, so my guess and what they also seem to hint about in the WC article is that it'll be GSM only.

Also, as much as I love my 1020 camera, it'll never be on a super-thin mainstream phone (and personally I'm okay with a thicker phone if it meant getting this camera in a new device too). Speaking of it being big and bulky though, the camera grip / extended battery is another thing that they should look to continue for future devices.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    NamelessPlayer likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Check out the full website - it has a diagonal cut for landscape, but I'd reverse the design - primary landscape (for typing and viewing media) with the diagonal cut to accommodate a portrait viewing mode. And you've got to LOVE the N-Trig stick!

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Wasn't the Icon Verizon's version of the 1520?

On a side note generally most Droid, like the aforementioned Turbo is also available in some of the Latin American countries under different names. But, yeah those don't sell well anymore.

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Icon was the US version of the 930 it was actually the 929....

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Actually portrait gives you the whole page, my preferred mode.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.