Rumor: Apple Producing a 7-inch iPad in 2012 Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Valerie Sarnataro, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valerie Sarnataro

Valerie Sarnataro Scribbler - Standard Member Reviewer

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. bastones

bastones Pen Pal - Newbie

As many will know Steve Jobs originally indirectly said Apple wasn't interested in making a 7" form factor iPad primarily because it is too small of a screen size for the user interface. I wouldn't personally like a 7" tablet because of typing and for web surfing but everyone is different so I am sure there are many people that would buy a 7" iPad if it ever becomes available (since this is rumour).

3. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

Funny how market conditions change minds. The Kindle Fire and NOOK Tablet (and NOOK Color) prove the 7-inch form factor can sell with consumers. In addition, I've let the iPad-owning staff here at TechTarget try out many of the seven-inch review units that come through my cubical (the SpringBoard, PlayBook, Galaxy Tab 7.0), and about 99% remark at how much they love the size and portability.

4. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

They would be kind of late to the dance here, wouldn't they

5. bastones

It's not as if the iPad isn't being successful considering that there is no 7" iPad being sold, so if the rumour does materialise then yes they would be late but even if they didn't introduce a 7" tablet, I don't think it would affect their sales much to be honest, if at all (in regards to the amount of iPads being sold in general).

I think Amazon has pulled off a very good competing tablet with the Kindle Fire, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon has sold millions of them.

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think a lot of this is simply apple needing a cheaper price point to sell at. $500 ARM tablet prices are not going to be sustainable especially with Windows 8 on the way I believe.

7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Of course it'll be the most magical, shiny, game changing device ever made... the kind of device that you've been waiting for.

8. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

excalibur, it looks like you might be the first on your block to own one. :)

It just seems they would be admitting they didn't do their due diligence with tbe 7" tablet to start with. There obviously is a market for them.

9. bastones

I'm really looking forward to the crop of Windows 8 tablets. I think Windows 8 looks really promising!