Roll Call - who is here looking to buy a Slate 500?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by dceggert, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

About ordering, just worried about the screen size, seems kinda small. I wonder why HP didn't go for the 10" screen. But it's exactly what I've been looking for, Capacitive touchscreen with an active digitizer pen. I had preordered the Exopc but cancelled because it didn't have a pen input. If I don't find a 10" or 11" device with the same features by the end of next week, I'm definitely gonna bite the bullet & order. I was looking to see if the Asus Eee pad EP121 would come with a digitizer, but that looks more like a vaporware.
    It's funny the idea of a win7 tablet or slate without a digitizer pen, might as well buy the iPad. Who does content creation or productive work writing with their fingers?
    Ps. My advice to HP, to hell with webos, promote this slate, u have a winner here.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't think there's any hurry to order. They're having trouble filling orders from the second day ATM. It is going to be a month before they get production started again and this backlog addressed. CES is only a month away. If there is going to be a pen/tablet released in the next 6 months, it'll be previewed there.

The screen size seems perfect to me. Not too small at all.

Bronsky:cool:

3. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

If anything, I'm thinking 7" would have been even better.

4. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Second day? They haven't finished filling orders from the first day yet! They are definately filling corporate orders from days later ahead of me though as I found one who ordered on Oct 26th and got his before any of you guys.

5. nnthemperor

Actually I had my nephew in the US call HP ( I live in Japan)& they told him if he ordered now, he'll get it by the 1st of January. Which I don't think is bad at all.

6. nnthemperor

7"? U kidding me. Any thing lesser than 9" would be a no brainer. Might as well buy a smartphone running WM7. I really hate those small screen devices.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm still deciding, though the biggest detriment at the moment is the low resolution screen.

8. aetneerg

aetneerg Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh man, I'm so close and on the fence on this one and about to pull the trigger. KABOOM! :D

I'm really looking forward to this one but I have a fews thing stopping me. I'd really like to see it's application performance though. If it's anything slow as my old IBM X41T then I might not be interested. My old tablet had a 1.5Ghz single core Pentium M processor. Slow as hell to do anything on there. I currently own a T5010 powerhouse that wipes through most applications but it's too thick and heavy. I don't really need any GPU processing power so I'm good in that department. But this could be the killer tablet I've been waiting for because it will do what I want and include the features I need.

I was going to buy an Amazon Kindle to read eBooks but:
    1. The Kindle still has the expansion slots of SD or even SDXC removed.

That doesn't fit my bill, 3GB of useable space for eBooks is not enough for me and no expandability is very limiting. I need something else to take notes too. Initially I saw the Onyx Boox, I want something like that.

I was thinking of getting the Asus EEE Note EA800 to take notes because I want something smaller and thinner than my T5010 but:
    1. The EA800 can take notes, it uses a stylus pen, it can read some eBooks in PDF format, but I can't buy eBooks from the Amazon.com market place and I take notes in OneNote so I have to sacrifice applications for the built-in Evernotes

I was thinking of getting an Asus EEE Pad but then:
    1. It has no stylus support and uses Windows CE

I took a look at Archos becacuse someone mentioned it in the forums somwhere:
    1. They have Android and Windows OS, the price is good, but there's no stylus support

Then comes the HP Slate 500.
    1. It uses Windows 7 Professional, this means I can use OneNote for my note takings, to readbooks and purchase eBooks I can use Amazon's application software because they have the buy once read anywhere feature where you can read your books from different devices (even on what someone called the iFad LOL) no problem with expansion slots because the Slate 500 supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory, it can dock and I already own a bluethooth mouse and keyboard so it won't be a problem when I dock it, it's small enough to be a lot more portable than my beast T5010

It seems to fit the bill for me but the price is kind of up there.

So it looks like Slate 500 or go with Kindle plus an Asus EEE Note and be forced to use Evernote. Tough decision, if I go dual devices I am forced to use Evernote but it will be cheaper. If I go Slate 500 it's more expensive and I only have one device to worry about and can take notes in OneNote and read/buy books through Amazon's application. I want something way thinner than my T5010, I liked and miss my old X41's thickness but it's speed sucked. I liked my T5010's speed but it's thickness and portability sucks.

What to do? what to do? So do I bite the bullet and pull the trigger? I've been holding off on the Kindle forever and they're at Gen 3 but no SDHC/SDXC support. :( I wanted something like Onyx Boox but more versatile. =/ buy other eReaders and I lose out on book sources from the Amazon merchant place. This is a complicated decision :confused:. I'll wait till Monday to think this through without jumping the gun. Maybe someone will be nice enough to give us a PCMARK 05 test.

9. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Try Smartphone, Netbook, Laptop and Accessory Store - eXpansys UK

They sell to a LOT of countries - you just have to pick yours from the list and they're listing the Slate in the Canada site at a very good price.

10. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

The digitiser was the selling point for me. No other tablet has it. Not the Androids, the iPad or even the other Win7 slates being announced. To me, a slate without a pressure sensitive digital pen is borderline useless for anything but toy apps.

But I draw and so I'm biased. :)