Roll Call - who is here looking to buy a Slate 500?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by dceggert, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This is a thread started basically out of curiosity. I see comments like "wow, this is a great device, thanks for the video, I just ordered one..." Or, "...I am thinking of buying one and am awaiting comments..."

I, for one, am thinking of buying one to replace my TC1100 *and* LS800. The 2730P has already been scarfed off to college so that one will be around for a while but in the hands of my son. For what I use my two slate devices for the 500 would work well. My last two concerns are:
    - screen size - I use my device in portrait mode 99% of the time as a notepad replacement and this screen is just as skinny as my P1620 which I was not happy with.
    - Atom processor - I do not use a lot of intense applications but I do photo editing once in a while so I am waiting to see how that works out.

Anyway, if you are also visiting to see about this device and you may be buying one, have decided to buy one based on the discussions here, or are following along to one day buy one like me, just leave a quick 'me too.'

It will be interesting to see how many of us there are in the market for a device all the other mainstream 'tablet' sites think is a loser machine...

2. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

Ordered one and on the expected delivery date "today" where today = {insert whatever today's date is} delivery schedule...

I'm getting it to replace (for the most part) my gateway tablet and lose 7+ lbs of backpack weight (12 cell battery, power adapter etc) and will be using it for onenote, and ms office for the most part.

hopefully the day hp considers "today" will come soon

3. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

I might buy one to replace my Thinkpad 240x. However, it has to really really impress me since $799 is very expensive for a netbook. My other option is to get a cheap netbook + EEE note for note taking.

By comparison, I was somewhat impressed by the ipad, but I couldn't justify getting it since it's not a laptop replacement and does not support flash. Galaxy tab did not impress me. Flash video was near unwatchable.

4. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Ordered one. Somewhere on the Fedex truck!

5. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Ordered on day 1. Still in delivery date purgatory.

6. everunman

everunman Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive ordered on on expansys, who knows when ill get it :(

7. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Ordered on Day 1 - ships Dec 8 (if they're not lying)

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

You should have added an actual "poll" to the thread. With options like:

• No. I prefer convertibles.
    • No, I prefer the iPad.
    • Yes. Already ordered/own it.
    • Yes, I'll buy it within 1 month,
    • Yes, I'll buy it within 3 months,
    • Yes, I'll buy it within 6 months

9. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Bought one via an HP partner after finding that the HP site said Dec 23 delivery. This was back around mid-November. Was told the order was in route to them 2 days ago, so once they get it, 1-2 days to me....

I am looking to replace my existing Netbook which is already small, but this is smaller. Use it like a communications football for support while I am out with a MiFi 2200 Verizon network device. So it needs a real OS not some plaything.
    It should be at least as fast as the Netbook is slow.

Most of the time, I am simply logging in to check something, if I have to actually work, this will be able to do about what the Netbook will. Looking at small usb keyboard/mouse for easier typing for longer stints if necessary.

10. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless your handwriting is truely illegible, I think you'll find the handwriting recongition to be nothing short of magical.