Road Warrior Seeks Tablet - R1 vs T4215 vs. x60

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by AP-123, Mar 3, 2007.

1. AP-123

AP-123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m looking for a table PC to replace my Sony TR-2PA3.

I’m a recent grad, in my second year start up, travel several times a month and am constantly preparing and giving sales presentation. This involves number crunching, with MS Access and Excel, image manipulation with Photoshop, note taking with One Note 2007, the usual email, IM and video conferencing with Skype. So I like the built in video cam.

My laptops get a lot of use, especially when I’m on the road. One of the biggest processor thieves I use is x1, the best search tool I’ve come across. It stays busy indexing your drive for instantaneous searches for files and email. I’m trying to wean my way over to Vista’s search tool, but it’s not quite as good. Lastly I burn cds at times to leave my completed work behind, but not terribly often.

The Sony has been great, keys and buttons are quite and the weight superb at 3-4 pounds with extended battery lasts me 4-5 hours, plenty. I would like to stay around the 4-5 pound range but trade up on the size and resolution of the screen. What are max resolutions of laptops now a days?

The three most popular Tablets on this site all look good to me, but It’s really hard to make a decision between the Asus R1 Tablet PC, Fujitsu LifeBook T4215 and the Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad X60 Tablet.

The Asus looks the nicest with the most bells, but I haven’t actually seen one. The Fujitsu has a lot of happy owners and the Lenovo has been a trusted name in the business community.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Speed, weight, processing power, battery life, and resolution are my deciding factors. I’ve learned in my small start up, very small, just me - that to play you have to pay. Skimping on this purchase will only force a shortened lifespan.

2. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the fujitsu would fit you best. It has a built in modular dvd drive unlike the Thinkpads which require an external drive, and the drive can be removed to place a second battery to extend life to 5+ hrs. It also offers a high res screen option while the Asus does not. However, I personally find the lower 13" widescreen resolution of the Asus to be perfect for a portable of this size compared to SXGA on a 12". Another reason I would choose the Fujitsu over the Asus is because some of the Asus' are having battery issues (that may or may not actually be the battery's fault) which you probably wouldn't want to deal with on the road.

3. AP-123

AP-123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice Loaf.

Neither the Fujitsu nor the IBM have a video cam, so I'd be trading that for battery life and higher resolution.

I wonder if Fry's has any of these to see in person. I'm really curious about the ASUS and I guess the others too.

If the IBM's external optical is small, that wouldn't be that bad to just keep in the laptop bag, I don't use it that much.

4. shawbridge

shawbridge Pen Pal - Newbie

I just went through the same choice. I run a small consulting firm and do a lot of international travel. We have three older Fujitsu's (4010 and 4020 tablets and s6220 notebook) and are happy with two -- the guy who uses the 4010 who is a technological black hole (things stop working around him) complains but I am not sure that this is a cause for despair. My s6220 had a software/hardware error that we don't yet undertand after 2.5 year. I decided to buy a table as well and use the s6220 as a backup if we can get it back to performing. After frequenting this site and others, I purchased an Asus R1F. All seemed like good choices. The reseller we purchased machines from claims that a) Fujitsu started to do a bad job on customer service; and b) when he complained, they terminated their agreement with him. We have a little evidence of that -- we paid for 3 year onsite warranties and after the reseller's contract was terminated, Fujitsu claimed we didn't have the onsite warranty and then made us spend time proving to them that we did -- but it is by no means conclusive. The Lenovo doesn't have an internal hard drive, and though I can live without it by storing the video images I need on a hard drive, I also concluded that Lenovo was back ordered for quite a while. Asus seems to have a problem with the software that reads the battery life and thus has lots of people replacing under warranty what are probably pretty good batteries. The Lenovo might be more sturdily built (better disk drive protection for sure). My sense from the various sites was that the Asus was the best compromise for me and I could get it from a reseller with whom we've had very good experiences on 3/8 or 3/9 with an agreement that if I don't like it within two weeks, I can return it. I liked the screen size and lots of the bells and whistles. I put in a pretty fast processor, 100 GB of 7200 rpm HD and 2 Gigs of RAM. I suspect all would be good so I think it depends on what aspects you value most highly.

5. AP-123

AP-123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Shawbridge - I think if the only way to have an external optical drive is to buy the docking station, than that narrows the choice down to the two. R1 and the Fujitsu.

Now I've got to weigh the resolution vs battery issue. how is the battery on your R1?

This forum is awesome!!:)

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

I guess I'll throw in my words of confusion. I actually like the IBM, not that I own or use any of these that you've outlined. I use a TC4200, the predecessor to the TC4400 (more or less identical, just different video/processor). At any rate the TC series from HP doesn't ship with an optical drive either. I purchased a portable external USB drive for $99 (they've come down since then) which can be used with the IBM. If you use DVDs a great deal this may not be the best option, but if not the IBM is a solid choice. For me one of the nicest options that IBM offers is the flex screen (touch and pen) which is really hot.

Otherwise, I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these tablets or (and here's the plug) the TC4400. As a side note the TC series has a wedge that fits on the bottom to extend battery life. They have a 12 cell battery that will add about 1.5 lbs, but will extend battery life to a claimed 10-12 hours.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I really wish that either the X60 had a SXGA LCD option or that the T4215 has a dual touch digitizer option.

8. AP-123

AP-123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought I was getting close to narrowing it down to two for a second!

The high res is probably more important than the touch screen I would think, but then again, I've never had a tablet before.

9. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems to me that you're under the impression that the Asus has a built in webcam even though it doesnt.

Battery life between the R1 and Fujitsu are pretty much equal. They both have 6-cell 5200mah main batteries and optional 3-cell 3600mah modular batteries. The R1 might have slightly less battery life due to the larger screen but it wont be by much. I currently get about 4:45 with both batteries with my tablet at about full brightness, wifi on but with very little surfing, and some general note taking.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Correct... It's the ASUS R2H that has a built in webcam, not the R1F.

btw.. my combined battery life during the day with brightness set at half-way (it's a bright screen and as such you can really lower the brilliance right down), wifi, hard surfing and other tasks, I get around 5½ to 6hrs max.